Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2095029&referrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910955&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by orli-flier
Its been a while since I traveled to Japan. Spending Thanksgiving in Tokyo and Kyoto. My plans are to stay at the Peninsula in Tokyo and the Ritz Carlton in Kyoto. I wanted to try the new Four Seasons in Kyoto, but they are not accepting reservations as of yet. Thanks for the advice!
I'm not a fan of Pen Tokyo these days. I would suggest Ritz-Carlton club level and Mandarin Oriental among the many better options than the Peninsula. Andaz Tokyo is also lovely.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to merge this short thread into the general discussion cited by Jerry in the first link he posted above.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:53 am
Suspended

Guys, going to spend my final 5 nights in Tokyo on my October trip. Currently have 5 nights at PH Tokyo (3 nights on points so 90k in total and then 2 nights with Chase certs).

My question is if it would be better to book the Andaz Tokyo which would only be 25k a night so I'd save 15k total Hyatt points and then just transfer to PH Tokyo for the final 2 nights.

Any thoughts?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Guys, going to spend my final 5 nights in Tokyo on my October trip. Currently have 5 nights at PH Tokyo (3 nights on points so 90k in total and then 2 nights with Chase certs).

My question is if it would be better to book the Andaz Tokyo which would only be 25k a night so I'd save 15k total Hyatt points and then just transfer to PH Tokyo for the final 2 nights.

Any thoughts?
I would stay at one or the other, because I do not like to unnecessarily switch hotels.

For me, Andaz is actually the better hotel, but if you have not yet stayed at the Park Hyatt you should probably do so this time. PHT is a Tokyo icon, even after wll these years.

I would suggest asking in the Hyatt forum.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:04 am
Suspended

Thanks Mike. Why do you think Andaz is the better hotel?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:33 am

Thanks Mike. Why do you think Andaz is the better hotel?
More comparison than anyone could ever need between the Tokyo Hyatt properties has been done in the Hyatt forum. That will also be the best place to ask questions of Hyatt forum regulars.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others

Any thoughts?
Might not be bad idea to try Andaz if not for locational variety.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:17 pm

Palace Hotel?

Couldn't find direct comparison between Palace Hotel and Grand Hyatt. We are booked in 3 standard rooms at each hotel. We have to narrow it down as we are traveling there in two weeks. Any thoughts about location, property etc...Pricing is exactly the same. We are having a tough time deciding because one party wants to do the "new and shiny" and the hard product looks nicer at the Palace. The other party wants to go with what they know and the more established hotel.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jaykay05
Couldn't find direct comparison between Palace Hotel and Grand Hyatt. We are booked in 3 standard rooms at each hotel. We have to narrow it down as we are traveling there in two weeks. Any thoughts about location, property etc...Pricing is exactly the same. We are having a tough time deciding because one party wants to do the "new and shiny" and the hard product looks nicer at the Palace. The other party wants to go with what they know and the more established hotel.
I like the Grand Hyatt for what it is (a large, efficient but somewhat impersonal hotel) but to me the Palace is a cut above. And standard Palace rooms much nicer and larger than Grand Hyatt.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:02 pm

Thanks. I was thinking the same. For the same price, I think I would rather stay at the Palace. But can't find any direct comparisons, guess they are not in the same category. Location wise, is the Palace better? One set of parents is arguing that Roppongi Hills is a much better location.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:02 pm

Thanks. I was thinking the same. For the same price, I think I would rather stay at the Palace. But can't find any direct comparisons, guess they are not in the same category. Location wise, is the Palace better? One set of parents is arguing that Roppongi Hills is a much better location.
In Tokyo choosing a location is very subjective. The Palace arguably has the most prestigious address of any hotel in Tokyo, buy Grand Hyatt is a nice hotel in a prime location within an upscale shopping and entertainment complex.

I would choose neither, as my favorite hotes are Ritz-Carlton (club level), Mandarin Oriental, and Andaz.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:59 pm

I had originally booked three connecting rooms there after reading your reviews. But then got vetoed because they thought it was too much of a business hotel and they were worried about location. It was actually priced better than GH and Palace so I was reluctant to let it go. I might have to revisit it again. Unfortunately when traveling with so many people, too many inputs. RC was so crazy expensive for this time of year (cherry blossom) that I couldn't do it.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I'm not a fan of Pen Tokyo these days. I would suggest Ritz-Carlton club level and Mandarin Oriental among the many better options than the Peninsula. Andaz Tokyo is also lovely.
Agree with MikefromTokyo. Don't care for the Pen too much - location great, rooms nice but I find the place kind of sterile. I have had two great stays recently at the Ritz Carlton. Rooms renovated and club lounge fantastic. Nit sure if I'd have liked if not in the club lounge. I also really like the Mandarin ( a lot and great restaurants and service) and still love the Park Hyatt but the location of the Ritz works out better for me on business, PH used to be great for business for many years and I got used to it but now business has moved and Shinjuku not as convenient. I think a lot depends on where you want or need to be! There are some great choices in Tokyo! I have not tried the Andaz.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:28 am

Depends on your taste. Roppongi Hills itself is going through "transition" as a retail destination, and so it is not as interesting as it was when it opened. It is walking distance from Tokyo Midtown, I guess, but the rest is Roppongi's craziness which I generally avoid. Even Tokyo Midtown has suffered from the commercial aftermath of the Great Earthquake.

Palace location is (well, near the Palace) but also walking distance from Marunouchi and a bit further, Ginza. I think for leisure travellers that might include parents, it is a more interesting area. Peninsula, FS Marunouchi, Shangri La and to a lesser degree Mandarin are also in the vicinity.

I don't get the love for the Ritz Carlton, personally. But in any event if avoiding a "business hotel" is a priority, then it would not fit your bill because does get a lot of those guests.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RC was so crazy expensive for this time of year (cherry blossom) that I couldn't do it.
apr 2
170K aman (new max rate)
140K RC (+20K club)
104K conrad (+12K club)

apr 12
130K aman
105K RC (+20K club)

120K apr 16 PH
110K apr 22 MO

back in november >
130K aman apr 2 (not 170K)
150K PH and 120K RC/MO/FS
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post25763372

apr 3 RC is odd
145 club room
155 tower suite
165 club millenia suite

vs another date
115 club room
155 tower suite / club exec / japanese carlton
165 club millenia suite

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 31, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.