Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2095029&referrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910955&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Nothing can be perfect in Kyoto. The best real estate is already taken.
So true! Shiraume is well located though so difficult to book since it is always full!
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I recently stayed at the Hotel Okura, which is not small but certainly has a vibe unlike any other hotel I have ever stayed in. Plus, a branch of one of the top sushi restaurants in Tokyo (Kyubei) is in the hotel, and the concierge was able to get me a reservation with ease when other means (direct booking and various concierge services) failed me.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vhrum
I recently stayed at the Hotel Okura, which is not small but certainly has a vibe unlike any other hotel I have ever stayed in. Plus, a branch of one of the top sushi restaurants in Tokyo (Kyubei) is in the hotel, and the concierge was able to get me a reservation with ease when other means (direct booking and various concierge services) failed me.
Isn't the Okura closed for renovations?

I hope so. Because I agree with the statement that the vibe of the Hotel Okura was different, right down to the hookers who allegedly worked the lifts on occasion. It must have been a truly amazing hotel in the early 1960's when it opened, but every time I've been in the place, it just looked dated.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 5, 2015 at 8:18 pm
Old Sep 5, 2015, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by vhrum
Well, you can kiss that vibe goodbye, as the hotel closed a week ago. It will be completely torn down and rebuilt, and there goes the vibe.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:06 pm

Does the Conrad not make this list? Stayed January 2015, upgraded to a beautiful suite, excellent finishes and liked the overall atmosphere very much.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rjTSGk]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rj3n2M]
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by benjahman
Does the Conrad not make this list? Stayed January 2015, upgraded to a beautiful suite, excellent finishes and liked the overall atmosphere very much.
If you were happy with your suite at the Conrad, there is no reason why it shouldn't "make the list." I have never stayed, but as far as I can tell it is a perfectly acceptable choice. If you have a good chance of an upgrade to a suite, or can get one confirmed, I say go for it.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Anyone tried the Andaz? Will be trying out this hotel in 2 weeks time.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
On this thread, it is hard to go really wrong in Tokyo among any of the top hotels. I am pretty much now a Palace convert, personally, having given up on the Peninsula after many years and stays.

I reviewed the threads about Kyoto with interest - there are more places to consider there, but in terms of ryokans, I still stick with Tawaraya and Hiiragiya as the leading options, especially when you build in the quality of the food which I think others are not so strong at.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by BENLEE
In many ways it is my favorite hotel in Tokyo, and definitely in my top three.

The GM, Arnaud de St. Exupery, is a gentleman and a class act as GM. The entire team of management and staff at this hotel are just wonderful.

The f&b is excellent. I love the tavern, and the Rooftop Bar has the best cocktails I have ever tasted in Tokyo. The wine selection is also fantastic.

I would suggest a larger corner room or a suite at this hotel. The regular rooms are fine, but I appreciate having more space and better views (although none of the rooms has a bad view).
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

You'll enjoy your stay. The nutella brioche French Toast will ensure that. It's a must try. MikeFromTokyo is right that the Andaz Large room is a must. Wall to wall views of Tokyo tower and just more space to enjoy.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
In many ways it is my favorite hotel in Tokyo, and definitely in my top three.

The GM, Arnaud de St. Exupery, is a gentleman and a class act as GM. The entire team of management and staff at this hotel are just wonderful.

The f&b is excellent. I love the tavern, and the Rooftop Bar has the best cocktails I have ever tasted in Tokyo. The wine selection is also fantastic.

I would suggest a larger corner room or a suite at this hotel. The regular rooms are fine, but I appreciate having more space and better views (although none of the rooms has a bad view).
You'll enjoy your stay. The nutella brioche French Toast will ensure that. It's a must try. MikeFromTokyo is right that the Andaz Large room is a must. Wall to wall views of Tokyo tower and just more space to enjoy.

Good to hear! ^ Yes, I have booked an Andaz Large room and request for the Skytree view. Look forward to my stay.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to hear! ^ Yes, I have booked an Andaz Large room and request for the Skytree view. Look forward to my stay.
Their seared beef carpaccio is to die for at Andaz Tavern!
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:02 am

Their seared beef carpaccio is to die for at Andaz Tavern!
+1 ^
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:03 am
Suspended

LOVE the Andaz.

As to the Conrad, I think it's the best Conrad in the system, and maybe the best Hilton property worldwide. Often gets overlooked here (very much looking forward to ILTM here!).
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pricesquire
LOVE the Andaz.

As to the Conrad, I think it's the best Conrad in the system, and maybe the best Hilton property worldwide. Often gets overlooked here (very much looking forward to ILTM here!).
Easy to get overlooked in a luxury hotel bonanza like Tokyo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.