Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2095029&referrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1910955&referrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
While luxury accommodations near a Dojo would be ideal, they are secondary to the objective of the trip: refining Karate skills with experienced Japanese teachers.

If anybody has any experience, or ideas where I should look to find such an opportunity, please let me know.

Trip duration will be 10 - 14 days, with the majority of the trip dedicated to learning.

Thanks,

Lark
You might want to choose a luxury hotel and then get the concierge working on it? They'd probably be able to find you the best sensei or your karate trip.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I revised my post to say that I might pay as much as double the price of the Hyatt (under certain circumstances), but I cannot imagine paying more than that for any accommodation in Kyoto.

Hyatt provides a very good balance of value and quality.

I think so as well. The hardware isn't the greatest but the service and industriousness (I receive) rivals any of the best Tokyo hotels.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:22 am

Long time lurker but seeing this thread inspired me to post.

Rather than the Ritz Carlton or the Hyatt in Kyoto, I would recommend staying in a top end Ryokan. We've stayed in luxury hotels such as Aman, MO, FS and various more boutique Relais Chateaux properties all over the world but one of our most memorable hotel stays was 4 nights in a Ryokan (Ryokan Shiraume which still (according to Trip Advisor) gets amazing reviews) in the heart of the Gion district of Kyoto.

It is very different to a traditional luxury hotel experience - most Ryokans have only 4 or so rooms but the service was amazing. We had suite with large sitting area and bedroom all covered in traditional tatami mats and futon beds (actually very comfortable). We had an exquisite traditional Kaiseki dinner in our room on one night and beautiful Japanese and Western breakfasts in a main breakfast area looking out onto a Japanese garden every morning. For a taste of Japanese culture, it cannot be beaten.

Shiraume Ryokan was great as the owner spoke fluent English (suprisingly rare in Japan even in high end restaurants) so was really helpful in organising our activities.

In relation to the cherry blossom, Kyoto (in particular the gardens of Ninna-Ji) seems to run later than Tokyo - we were there at the end of April and there was still lots of blossom (there are some photos on my blog here http://efficienttraveller.com/2015/08/26/japan-kyoto/ which will give you a good idea of the show).
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:24 pm

Yay

Just got back from a month in Japan. A few observations...

Tokyo - we should have done Aman instead of FS. Its by far the least impressive FS I have been to (except perhaps Palm Beach, which was worse).

Kyoto - RC has the best hard product in Japan except the Aman in Tokyo. Its sublime. Soft product is a wee bit under FS standards. Food was surprisingly mediocre. Prices very agressive. We had 2 rooms for a week. Be sure to get the river (lol) view. The 'other' view is of urban blight and a graveyard.

Hakone - don't do Hyatt - its a dump

Osaka - IC is the obvious choice - we did the 2BR corner suite and it was silly cheap. Cleaning was negligent and service over all was fawlty towers. Location is great. Big chinese groups.

M
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:58 pm

If you go to the Hyatt in Hakone expecting a nice four star hotel, which is what it is, then I think it is quite nice. There is certainly nothing better in the area if you prefer western style accommodation, as I do. Deluxe View rooms and the Regency Suites have good views and are comfortable, even if they look a bit tired now.

IC certainly does not sound like an obvious choice if service and housekeeping were not up to par. Ritz-Carlton has excellent service and housekeeping (although admittedly an awful décor).

FS Marunouchi is all about the hotel's boutique size and the level of service. It's location also makes it ideal if one wants direct access to Tokyo station. It is great for business travellers who value privacy, convenience, and extremely efficient service that often cannot be matched by the larger hotels. If you wanted views, impressive facilities and public spaces, and multiple restaurants FS Marunouchi was a poor choice.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MorganDK
Just got back from a month in Japan. A few observations...

Tokyo - we should have done Aman instead of FS. Its by far the least impressive FS I have been to (except perhaps Palm Beach, which was worse).

Kyoto - RC has the best hard product in Japan except the Aman in Tokyo. Its sublime. Soft product is a wee bit under FS standards. Food was surprisingly mediocre. Prices very agressive. We had 2 rooms for a week. Be sure to get the river (lol) view. The 'other' view is of urban blight and a graveyard.

M
Yeah, FS Marounuchi is definitely one of the poorer luxury hotels in Tokyo. Just worn and small.

I thought the kaiseki at RC Kyoto was one of the best I ever had. What dish or restaurant did you find mediocre?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS Marunouchi is all about the hotel's boutique size and the level of service. It's location also makes it ideal if one wants direct access to Tokyo station. It is great for business travellers who value privacy, convenience, and extremely efficient service that often cannot be matched by the larger hotels. If you wanted views, impressive facilities and public spaces, and multiple restaurants FS Marunouchi was a poor choice.
I just feel the rooms there are so worn and old looking at FS Marunouchi. It's probably in need of a hardware refresh. I'd rather be at SL for views, better public spaces , a real spa, prox to Tokyo station and service.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I just feel the rooms there are so worn and old looking at FS Marunouchi. It's probably in need of a hardware refresh. I'd rather be at SL for views, better public spaces , a real spa, prox to Tokyo station and service.
I'm definitely not going to argue about S-L, because I also like that hotel a lot. Piacere and Nadaman, Chi spa, and the views are wonderful. I also like the Premier rooms with corner locations.

I also freely admit that FS Marunouchi is no longer what it once was back when it opened and there was much less comprtition. Nevertheless, it does have some excellent points. The service is top notch, and its small size means fewer crowds and superior privacy. As a leasure traveller it is not where I choose to stay anymore, but I have friends who find it ideal for business travel.

I agree that it needs more of a refresh, but there was a light renovation of some rooms and suites a while ago done by Yabu Pushelberg. The standard room I was in about six months ago seemed unchanged however.

BTW, have you stayed at club level at S-L ? That could be the best of both worlds.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
There is nothing in the area and unlike the RC, there aren't even much shops to look at if you decide to walk into town.
No, nothing. Just the Sanjusangendo next to the hotel, and the vastly underrated Kyoto National Musem across the street.

But in general, I agree, there is no "really well located" hotel in Kyoto. The one that comes closest is the Westin, but I wouldn't call it "luxury".
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm definitely not going to argue about S-L, because I also like that hotel a lot. Piacere and Nadaman, Chi spa, and the views are wonderful. I also like the Premier rooms with corner locations.

I also freely admit that FS Marunouchi is no longer what it once was back when it opened and there was much less comprtition. Nevertheless, it does have some excellent points. The service is top notch, and its small size means fewer crowds and superior privacy. As a leasure traveller it is not where I choose to stay anymore, but I have friends who find it ideal for business travel.

I agree that it needs more of a refresh, but there was a light renovation of some rooms and suites a while ago done by Yabu Pushelberg. The standard room I was in about six months ago seemed unchanged however.

BTW, have you stayed at club level at S-L ? That could be the best of both worlds.
Been 4 years since I was at FS Marounuchi and once was enough for me. I did really enjoy their Japanese breakfast set and F&B though. This was before it changed to whatever it is now.

I highly recommend 3620 or 25 (a corner room) for a SL club room. But, some of SL's views are being compromised by that new building out the Yaesu exit. The noise is negligible due to their super insulated windows though.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
No, nothing. Just the Sanjusangendo next to the hotel, and the vastly underrated Kyoto National Musem across the street.

But in general, I agree, there is no "really well located" hotel in Kyoto. The one that comes closest is the Westin, but I wouldn't call it "luxury".
Four Seasons will get the same attractions as HR Kyoto. Well located is all relative anyway because some attraction will always be missing and/or faraway in Kyoto.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Four Seasons will get the same attractions as HR Kyoto. Well located is all relative anyway because some attraction will always be missing and/or faraway in Kyoto.
Yep. The FS is across the other street from the HR.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:34 am

In that case, not sure I want to even give it a try
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
In that case, not sure I want to even give it a try
Nothing can be perfect in Kyoto. The best real estate is already taken.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:58 pm

Been 4 years since I was at FS Marounuchi and once was enough for me. I did really enjoy their Japanese breakfast set and F&B though. This was before it changed to whatever it is now.

I highly recommend 3620 or 25 (a corner room) for a SL club room. But, some of SL's views are being compromised by that new building out the Yaesu exit. The noise is negligible due to their super insulated windows though.
So is Shangri-la executive suite or Aman standard room preferable?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by op487062
So is Shangri-la executive suite or Aman standard room preferable?
I'm not really a fan of the SL suites. They look very much like the normal rooms and could use a mild refresh to be competitive as a suite. I'd rather just have a Horizon Club room in the numbers I said before. I rate the service at SL better than Aman Tokyo too. SL has door greeters, elevator attendants, the train platform pickup among a myriad of other full services. Aman Tokyo doesn't even really have an outer door sign on its office building and you look like a fool trying to find it on street level.

I would hope Aman Tokyo improved since its opening but I saw enough and have no desire to go back.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 30, 2015 at 10:35 pm Reason: added more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.