Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Benefits to booking airport transfers directly with hotel?

Benefits to booking airport transfers directly with hotel?

Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:15 pm

Like many here, I always book hotel cars coming off long-haul, except NY where I tend to use a limo company that I also use for work (no idea why NY is excepted). I have not really ever had to test the early check-in though I am soon to test it, once I was denied when arriving early. Especially in developing countries where cabs are usually not clean etc... What's the point in flying in business or first only to step off the plane to feel dirty. I also don't appreciate the haggling as I step off a 10-16 hour journey. Almost all other journeys done at destination is done in local transport unless I am covering a great distance (2 hours or more drive).

In Europe, off the Eurostar or s/h flights I am quite happy to just get a cab, or as quite often, a rental car.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
I prefer hotels were lines are never an issue
This.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:17 pm

I prefer hotels were lines are never an issue
Even if there is no wait involved, I still like it when the driver notifies the hotel of ETA, and then everyone is already waiting to greet me when I arrive. It is easier for the hotel to provide in room check in if they know exactly when you are arriving.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by farbster
I wonder if the people that say that they got a free upgrade would have gotten that anyway due to either status or travel agent booking. Furthermore, is checking in to the hotel from your room such a big deal? I can't say I've done it, but I can't imagine it would excite me that much. Shorter lines are better though .
Depending where you're staying but it should be a staple for any hotel worthy of being in this luxury forum. I feel it's a reflection of personalized service that top hotels and top dollar should fetch and command.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Even if there is no wait involved, I still like it when the driver notifies the hotel of ETA, and then everyone is already waiting to greet me when I arrive. It is easier for the hotel to provide in room check in if they know exactly when you are arriving.
Correct and I don´t say it´s not convenient. But for example in Florence it´s simply 170 € more per way and even if the cab was a Dacia Logan I found it kind of funny. Luxury cars I drive all the way. Check-in at deask was also fine.

Last time I had check-in in the room was RC Penha Longa. We arrived with our rental car and while we had to drive 1 Minute from the gate to the entrance everything was ready and the staff waited for us. Same at Amangiri and they had no clue which time we will arrive.

So bottom line I agree Transfer booked by hotel can be very convenient, but not at every Price. I pay normally (excemption outside 1st world countries) max. 20 € more per way.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by farbster
Going to our hotel in Dublin, we ran into a lot of traffic due to the quarterfinals of curling.
Not germane to the thread topic, but hurling (in both senses) is the quintessential Irish sport. Curling is lawn bowls on ice.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ThudAndBlunder
Not germane to the thread topic, but hurling (in both senses) is the quintessential Irish sport. Curling is lawn bowls on ice.
Curling is an olympic sport.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:01 am

Yes, it is. Not likely to cause traffic jams in downtown Dublin, though (or anywhere else, for that matter).
Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:32 am

Correct and I don´t say it´s not convenient. But for example in Florence it´s simply 170 € more per way and even if the cab was a Dacia Logan I found it kind of funny. Luxury cars I drive all the way. Check-in at deask was also fine.

So bottom line I agree Transfer booked by hotel can be very convenient, but not at every Price. .
I would take this view as well. My answer to this has changed a lot in recent years, as initially I would have said it was absolutely easier and better to use the hotels service, but some of the costs are so high that it doesn't offer value for money. On top of this, a lot of airlines now offer complimentary chauffeur service to/from the airport in J and F. My first point of call would be to contact the hotel, yet if the fee is insane I'll look elsewhere.

In the case of truly remote hotels, such as the majority of the Amans, transfer is either complimentary or a very reasonable fee, so it becomes a simple decision to use them, vs explaining to someone exactly where it is, then sit there using your own phone to load Google Maps and help them get there. The only exception I can think of is Amanzoe, where it's a ~€450 transfer each way. We have used it, but on subsequent visits we rented a decent Mercedes for 4 nights which cost ~€200 including fuel.

Before we go on holiday we tend to stay at The Connaught over night and use their car service to go to the airport. When we come home we then stay the night and would have their car pick us up from the airport. However with Uber Lux being so good, we're paying almost 50% less and getting the same car and service.

I've been reading this thread since it started, but it seemed most apt to respond now, as I'm on the way to Dubai right now and several of the hotels have contacted me regarding fees for collecting us from specific places (I did not contact them). In every case I've found it's at least 5x cheaper for me to use Uber. The Armani Hotel wanted Ł160 to collect us from the airport whereas Etihad are taking us for free. Tough choice.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I do this only in Japan, where, the drivers go at a nice pedestrian pace. I couldn't imagine doing it in China or Thailand.
I think China will depend on the city and personal safety can be a concern. Bangkok is easy though. Was on the board of a company there and used to do day trips there for board meetings. Much prefer taxi since they are readily available at the airport and you can get into the car right away as opposed to waiting at curbside wondering how long it will take for the hotel car to come around. Not even the over-priced airport taxi but the regular taxi on the ground floor. With APEC card, I can be in taxi within 20 mins of stepping off the plane. Very convenient and cheap!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by agp423
I also don't like that "sheltered life" of going to luxury hotel/resort just to stay in the hotel/resort from getting off an airplane to stepping back in. I find interaction with normal people pleasant.

Well said, especially important when I travel with my kids these days
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was referring to another poster talking about renting a car and driving self to the hotel and around . You couldn't pay me to drive in China!

About car service in Bangkok. The hotels I've done it with (MO, GH) have it waiting by the AOT cars and we just go. I'd say it would be on par with jumping in a taxi but taxis drive faster to the hotel.

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
I think China will depend on the city and personal safety can be a concern. Bangkok is easy though. Was on the board of a company there and used to do day trips there for board meetings. Much prefer taxi since they are readily available at the airport and you can get into the car right away as opposed to waiting at curbside wondering how long it will take for the hotel car to come around. Not even the over-priced airport taxi but the regular taxi on the ground floor. With APEC card, I can be in taxi within 20 mins of stepping off the plane. Very convenient and cheap!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:02 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

It appears that Forbes monitors this board for story ideas

http://www.forbes.com/sites/douggoll...g-a-hotel-car/

(And congrats to pricesquire on the press mention)
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LM225
It appears that Forbes monitors this board for story ideas

http://www.forbes.com/sites/douggoll...g-a-hotel-car/

(And congrats to pricesquire on the press mention)
At the hotels he managed, he says, the contracts he made with the car services he used mandated a greeter at either the gate or security, based on airport access policies, and that the car was curbside and ready when the guest exited the terminal. “Otherwise, you should just call Uber,” he says.
That's funny.

Congrats pricesquire!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:15 am

Probably was not curling. I'm thinking that's the funny winter sport with brooms LOL

Originally Posted by ThudAndBlunder

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.