Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand Luxury Properties

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso
Originally Posted by Nizar
Thanks for the reports and photos - it is much appreciated.

If you had to choose out of either Azur or Matakauri Lodge, which would you recommend ?
What are the main differences between them ?

4 nights should be enough ?

I've been eyeing them both for a while but keen to know what the comparative differences are.

And wow you really got around, looks like you did NZ properly. How long did you end up spending in NZ ?

Thanks
It is a bit tough to say as their are some big differences between the two. If money was not an issue, I would chose Matakauri because my experience at Cape Kidnappers was so wonderful and they are owned by the same family. I would say the decor of Matakauri I preferred over Azur, but I did think Azur was lovely.

I will do a quick summary between the two of biggest differences.

Matakauri
-higher cost (2-3 times the price of Azur)
-15 minutes to town
-one room is 32 square meters, others start at 72 square meters
-main lodge is bigger
-Virtuoso member and comes with amenities as such

Azur
-complimentary (and unlimited) transfers into town
-5 min to town
-in a residential neighborhood
-evening meal not included
-all rooms identical and 75 square meters

Both have lake and mountain views, breakfast, pre-dinner drinks with canapes and strive for privacy and luxury for their guests.

Even though I saw the properties back to back, I did feel a bit closed in at Matakauri, which probably isn't fair as it was weather related. I think it is because Matakauri is up against the lake with trees surrounding the property and Azur is further back. It was raining, as you can see from the pictures, and we didn't have great views.

I hope that helps. I will PM you with some other info on the area. Four nights would be a nice stay as you can really see the area well then. And yes, we were a bit full on and really, really had a good time!!
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Travel K
It took way longer than I planned, but I finally have all the properties updated. I am visiting fantastic New Zealand again in April and will add to the reviews as I visit the other luxury offerings.
Thanks so much for the detailed TRs ! Was hoping to visit next month but your TRs confirmed what I already knew - that we ' d need at least 2 weeks which we didn't have & doubt we'll make it before April . Looking forward to your next TRs , will plan on a possible Kiwi spring visit ' 16 then .
One of our favourite destinations sans Amans .

On one of our trips , even 5 weeks was insufficient!

" ... from an isolated lodge with only a few rooms and visiting Huka at capacity, the main lodge felt crowded at times. That being said, for dining, they will spread out the guests so that issue won't be pressing.

Huka Lodge does some pretty sensational special events during May-Sept including guests chef's, themes like opera, wine, or the Art of Living. "

Relieved to know that F & B , service , etc is ok as we heard that standards had " dropped " .
Been wanting to stay since early 1990 when it was full during the Commonwealth Games ( for the Royal family ) & haven't managed to get back to since . The RWC few years ago didn't give us that needed window either .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 5, 2015 at 5:18 pm
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

FlyerEC - we might be there at the same time then! Maybe we will even be in the same lodge! To not feel rushed and see NZ well, I would recommend 2 weeks without hesitation.

If you love Amans, there is a new offering to do a private jet between properties. They have done 1 for sure, maybe two of the trips.

Huka - we had lunch on the property and when it was time to eat, we had a private room to ourselves (7 in total) and it was great. The room had us away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the lodge and the food was absolutely lovely. Three courses, excellent presentation, and the perfect amount to be satisfied, yet not over full. I had a pasta dish I loved and a nibble of my friend's shrimp, which I should of had as it was excellent. I can't say how an evening meal is, but I think they are worth going into with an open mind. Just make sure you get some space from other people, if you want more privacy. They do have enough options to facilitate.

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Thanks so much for the detailed TRs ! Was hoping to visit next month but your TRs confirmed what I already knew - that we ' d need at least 2 weeks which we didn't have & doubt we'll make it before April . Looking forward to your next TRs , will plan on a possible Kiwi spring visit ' 16 then .
One of our favourite destinations sans Amans .

On one of our trips , even 5 weeks was insufficient!

" ... from an isolated lodge with only a few rooms and visiting Huka at capacity, the main lodge felt crowded at times. That being said, for dining, they will spread out the guests so that issue won't be pressing.

Huka Lodge does some pretty sensational special events during May-Sept including guests chef's, themes like opera, wine, or the Art of Living. "

Relieved to know that F & B , service , etc is ok as we heard that standards had " dropped " .
Been wanting to stay since early 1990 when it was full during the Commonwealth Games ( for the Royal family ) & haven't managed to get back to since . The RWC few years ago didn't give us that needed window either .
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
My pleasure!

It depended on the property and schedule - some we drove (we were always driven by our supplier), a couple we did a heli transfer, and some we did regular commercial flights on Air NZ. Flying domestically in NZ is amazing - depending on the size of the plane, there isn't even a security checkpoint. So humane, easy, and enjoyable.

I would not hesitate to recommend self driving at times in NZ - the roads were fantastic. Sometimes it makes much more sense to fly though. For instance, to drive from Christchurch to Auckland is about 8 hours. To fly is less than $100 NZD when booking in advance. Unless you really, really want to drive, it is better to fly.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:35 am

For a 4 night stay in NZ, is the Huka Lodge the way to go? Matakuri?

Absolutely must extend the trip and do both?

Main factor would be conveneince and variety of activities
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HumbleBee

That is a tough one, but I think Matakauri wins out for choice of activities and dining, if you have to chose. If someone can only make one stop in New Zealand, Queenstown really is the place to be. It is quite convenient too with being only 10-15 minutes from town.

I love, love New Zealand and I don't think 4 nights is anywhere close to enough, so I think if you can extend, then don't hesitate to do it. Both parts of NZ have much to offer.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Why not do both !!!!
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Travel K
That is a tough one, but I think Matakauri wins out for choice of activities and dining, if you have to chose. If someone can only make one stop in New Zealand, Queenstown really is the place to be. It is quite convenient too with being only 10-15 minutes from town.

I love, love New Zealand and I don't think 4 nights is anywhere close to enough, so I think if you can extend, then don't hesitate to do it. Both parts of NZ have much to offer.
Thanks, much appreciated. Judging by price, the Huka lodge seems a bit more luxurious? FHR 4th night free is tempting...
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, much appreciated. Judging by price, the Huka lodge seems a bit more luxurious? FHR 4th night free is tempting...
Virtuoso has the 4th night free too, just fyi...

I wouldn't say it is more luxurious - I feel they are pretty equal Huka has a much deeper history, which I think lends to the price tag (partially). Huka is an older property with the main lodge with the common areas reflecting that in the floor plan (small rooms, less open). The rooms at Huka are great and you cannot beat the porches that open up/walk out to the river. Matakauri is much newer so it is a bit unfair to compare the two main lodges.

What activities do you want to do? And feel free to PM me too, I can talk NZ any day quite happily. The Huka jet boat was fantastic, Hobbiton is relatively close, you can take a heli trip to White Island, and a whole lot more.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
I enjoyed reading your reviews of the properties. some of the luxury lodges in NZ are on my bucket list of places to visit. I had not heard of Azur before.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:16 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
NZ highlights from 2009: Waiheke, Queenstown, BUNGY!, Wharekauhau, and Hawkes Bay

We visited NZ for 10 nights--my husband surprised me with the destination at LAX for our anniversary--back in Sept 2009. He booked us at the Westin Auckland (2 nights, no longer a hotel, converted into condos!), The Spire in Queenstown (3 nights), Wharekauhau Lodge (2 nights), and Greenhill Lodge in the Hawke's Bay area (3 nights, not far from the Farm at Cape Kidnappers). This trip was all about wine tasting and bungy jumping for me, two of my favorite pursuits.

For the most part, we largely agree with our OP's assessments of many of the luxury properties...with a few caveats.

Auckland:

DON'T MISS A VISIT TO WAIHEKE ISLAND no matter how long/the reason you're in Auckland. It is SPECTACULARLY beautiful, easily akin to the drama of Queenstown or even the Cape Winelands in South Africa. It was a very easy day trip recommendation from the Westin concierge, knowing we liked beautiful scenery and wine. The scenery is majestic, and the wineries/winery restaurants were fantastic, and with very nice wines--especially great Syrahs, something I wasn't expecting in NZ! We took a 30-45 min ferry ride there and back and had a fantastic day of it. There also are lodging options on the island from what I know, and if ever we return to NZ, staying on Waiheke Island is a definite priority for us.

Waiheke Island coastline, with Auckland downtown in the distance:

Waiheke Island coastline:

Te Whau winery on Waiheke Island (amazing Syrah, akin to Hermitage):

Queenstown:

We stayed at The Spire and had a meal and drinks (and property tour) at Eichardt's Hotel--this was before they were under the same ownership. We preferred The Spire, to be honest, perhaps because it was a bit undiscovered and perhaps because we loved the modern chic decor. It was very intimate, and the service was fantastic. Eichardt's was also wonderful, but the rooms were a bit smaller and obviously a bit more traditional then. Food/beverage and service for us was great at both. We weren't surprised when we learned a few years later that they ended up under the same ownership.

We spent our time in Queenstown doing bungy jumping (one of my passions), white water rafting, and wine tasting in the celebrated Central Otago wine region there. I did the 134 m Nevis High Wire bungy jump (twice), which is located about 45-60 min drive out of town. This is the 3rd biggest commerical free bungy jump in the world.

Video of my first jump (swan dive!):

Video of my second jump (they allowed me a lighter cord to fall farther/closer to the riverbed):

We also visited numerous wineries in the Central Otago--one of the great wine regions for Pinot Noir. Craggy Range may be the best known, but it was Felton Road that most impressed. Pinot Noir is phenomenal in this region, the only place in the world where a fair number could approach (but not quite equal) the complexity and minerality of Burgundy, IMO. We still get Felton Road Pinot Noirs for our cellar.

We also did an afternoon white water raft excursion. Only class 1-4 falls, so a little less dramatic than the bungy jumping...but at least my husband was willing to do it. He was not willing to do bungy!

Martinborough:

My husband wisely skipped the Marlborough wine region, famous for its Sauvignon Blancs but not always offering the highest quality for that varietal IMO. Instead, we flew up to Wellington, rented a car, and drove to the Wharekauhau Lodge outside Martinborough. We really enjoyed the Lodge, but I agree that its furnishings likely need a refresh--which was true even then! Still, the food and service were tremendous, and the scenery was absolutely breathtaking--though I still give the nod to Waiheke Island and Queenstown based on my personal taste.

Martinborough wineries were wonderful, but the wines were just solid IMO. We did one and a half full days of wine tasting, and spent the rest of the time touring around the Wharekauhau Lodge ranch. It was a very relaxing and peaceful couple of days, I assure you. You really felt like you were in another world at Wharekauhau Lodge. We are glad we went, but between Martinborough not being our favorite wine region and there being so many other great lodges/regions yet to visit, we'd likely skip this on our next visit to NZ.

Hawkes Bay:

We stayed at the Greenhill Lodge, based on my husband knowing I'd want to be closer to the wineries in the area. My biggest and really only regrets from this trip is that he didn't book us at the Farm at Cape Kidnappers and didn't include Milford Sound near Queenstown. We had a very nice stay at Greenhill--there was just us and another couple from Los Angeles, ironically, and we are still friends with one of them! It was more deluxe than luxury, but the food/service was great--and it was very conveniently located to most of the great wineries in the Hawkes Bay wine appellation. If you like wine, the Hawkes Bay region has some fantastic wineries and great wines.

We did take one night for dinner at the Farm at Cape Kidnappers, and it truly was a very memorable dinner...and a truly extraordinary property. Its location is amazing. The service was great. When we return to NZ, including a stay here is a priority for me!

FINAL VERDICT:

New Zealand really is as magical as everyone says. We are looking to return in the next few years...and have been thinking about a return ever since this first trip!

The highlights for me: Waiheke Island, Queenstown, amazing wines in Central Otago, Hawkes Bay and even Waiheke, and the bungy jumping!

We missed the Milford Sound and other Queenstown highlights, so returning to Queenstown is a certainty on our return. We likely will stay at one of the out of town lodges instead of The Spire/Eichardt's, simply to do something new. We also will be sure to stay on Waiheke Island on our return...and Cape Kidnappers.

Huka Lodge shockingly doesn't intrigue me as much as it does everyone else, though still I'd like to see that part of the North Island. Huka's dining formality is an issue for me--my husband wisely avoided it since they required jackets for dinner in their main dining room, something I fastidiously avoid. I don't know if they have that same policy, but I wouldn't be thrilled to stay if they still do.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 11, 2015 at 2:30 pm
Old May 29, 2016, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Bay of Many Coves, Queen Charlotte Sound, NZ

Bay of Many Coves Resort

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Bay of Many Coves Resort

Arthur's Bay, Bay of Many Coves Private Bag 382, Picton Queen Charlotte Sound, NZ 7250

Bay of Many Coves, Queen Charlotte Sound, NZ (21 Photos)

Bay of Many Coves Resort

I was back in New Zealand last month and was able to see a few new (to me) luxury properties and stay at a few others I only visited for a short period on my last visit.  I am hoping to go back in September as part of a trip to Australia, but that isn't known for another few weeks.

Bay of Many Coves Resort is tucked way up in the Queen Charlotte Sound and can be reached by water taxi from Picton, which takes about 30 minutes.  It is a gorgeous ride and very comfortable, depending on which carrier you hire.  I used Cougar Line Water Taxi and highly recommend them. I stayed in early April and had stunning weather. The only other way to get to the property is by helicopter.

BOMC (as it is often abbreviated)  has 11 rooms, 6 - 1 bed, 3 – 2 bed, and 1- 3 bedrooms and 1 suite.  I stayed in the newest and most private two bedroom, which is also the suite, room 201.  It has its own hot tub and lounge area outside with sun chairs.  The two bed rooms are split meaning you walk into the villa and the living space is in between.  And oh is it glorious.  All villas have open views to the water.  No units have a bath tub as they work hard to conserve water.  The two and three bedrooms all have washer/dryer units.  There is no air conditioning and it isn’t needed with all the windows, the temperature being mild and the cool air off the water.  I didn’t take any photos of the other units as they were all occupied when I was there.

The suite, also known as room 201.  This is at the gate, upon entry. It is secluded enough I couldn’t get the whole unit in one picture very easily.  The patio was also expansive.

The common space was very comfortable. The pictures really don’t do it justice, it was very nice.

The clear square behind the table is not a dishwasher, but a fireplace! I didn't light it, so I have no idea how it works. I was excited feijoas where in season when I was visiting.

The coffee table had some really pretty glass coasters I almost purchased.  They are made by a local artisan.  They had binoculars, books, etc out for guests.

But the views.  They were amazing.  I really could have sat on this patio all day.  The patio doors open so the living room and kitchen are fully exposed.

The bedrooms are near identical.  One had a slightly larger shower than the other is the only difference. The little bags on the bed are lavendar buds.

This is the bedroom I stayed in:

The bathroom amenities are a popular New Zealand brand, Evolu, that I do really like.  I personally do not mind properties that have full size toiletries as opposed to trial/disposable as long as they are high quality.  I like to be conservative, where possible.

The first two things I noticed was the smell and sound.  It smells of honey everywhere and is heavenly.  The smell comes from the Manuka trees.  And it is extremely quiet.  You hear an occasional boat here and there, but the rest of the time it is pretty much nothing but birds.  This is another place you go to escape.

What is there to do? Plenty.  I had a short afternoon and did stand up paddle boarding, hiked to the water fall (although in autumn it was just a trickle), soaked in my Jacuzzi tub and saw glow worms.  There is a lot of hiking, options for kayaking and other boating and then many things can be arranged, such as fishing charters. Or, just do nothing, which many of the guests do.  The rooms and the views are great for reading books, relaxing, and just slowing down.  This is a view of the pool, which does overlook the water.  Everything at the property is designed to face the water.

The property has a heli pad, which is quite impressive when you see it.  There is a café for lunch and many boater will pull in just for it.

The food needs to be addressed.  It is delicious!!! Any foodie would absolutely fall over themselves here.  I will let my evening meal speak for itself:

Breakfast was just amazing and shown in the collage above.  I had banana pancakes with bacon and a flat white.  It was a culinary delight.  The picture below has a view of the main lodge, which is the building on the right and is bigger than the others.  Breakfast is usually taken on the lower level and the evening meal on the upper level.

A few notes to keep in mind – if you have mobility issues, please make sure your travel advisor knows.  The property is built on the side of a hill and the lower villas are definitely the better for those with issues to stay.  Also, a two night stay really is the minimum one should consider, but 3 nights is better to really sink in and relax.  And if you are really into All Blacks rugby, the owner happens to be Richie McCaw's uncle. :)

Bay of Many Coves, Queen Charlotte Sound, NZ

Would you like to write a review on the Bay of Many Coves Resort?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 31, 2016, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

The George Hotel, Christchurch

I had a very quick, one night stay at The George. I have had clients stay at the property and have been very keen for quite some time to visit. And Christchurch itself has had me curious for some time as well to see what it was really like. There are not great options for a luxury property within Christchurch. I will do it's official review later, but the best option for luxury near the city is Otahuna. It is under 30 minutes to the airport or downtown, depending on traffic.

I would have liked to stay here for a couple nights, but it ended up being a really short stay. I had taken the train from Greymouth to Christchurch and it ended up being late. I needed to go pick up a rental car and when all the details were taken care of it was close to 7:30 pm before I even checked in. I was really hungry, so I did a quick bag drop and walked to Mexicano’s (amazing food, although it really isn't Mexican, but I would eat there again in a heartbeat) for a quick bite to eat. I didn’t really settle into the hotel until close to 9 pm. I needed to leave by 10 am so I could get to Kaikoura in time to go whale watching. All in all, it was a really short visit.

I was in room 316, one of the Park Suites. This room was amazing. The room is relatively techy too, but easy for anyone to figure out. In all fairness, anytime someone leaves me macarons as a welcome amenity, they have pretty much sealed the deal with me loving them.

The beverage offerings were vast – a nespresso machine with multiple blends, Milo, several teas, etc. The kitchette area was great. One of the details I was referring to earlier is the trash can. I know, bare with me. I am a conservationist at heart and try to recycle where I can. Hotels always kill me with the lack of recycling. But not at The George! Yes, I am easy to please.

The room is was huge for a solo traveler. The above photo shows the front door and walking in through the kitchenette area. Next is the living room, with a sofa, TV, and sitting area. The windows all have giant shades. When open, I had views of the park. The room is very technology advanced – the window shades and lights were all on a touch panel and very easy to use. The living room and the bedroom can be separated by doors.

The bed was fantastic – I slept great. They have a true turn down service – bottle of water, chocolates, turning the bed back, setting out a robe and slippers and the best yet, a little Georgie bear.

I really hate having to hunt for the electrical outlets in a room. This room had plenty and they were easy to find. The walk in closet was just off the bed.

https://photos.smugmug.com/The-Georg...DSC_0490-M.jpg

The bathroom was great and one easy to share with another person. The shower had dual shower heads and two sets of amenities, the floor and towel rack were heated, and the soaking tub jetted.

Breakfast is a buffet with hot items ordered off the menu. I had porridge and a flat white with no complaints.

The George Hotel is so conveniently located. It is about 20 minutes from the airport, in the CBD, and right across the street from the park. I highly recommend the property when wanting to stay in Christchurch.

Last edited by Travel K; Jun 7, 2016 at 10:38 am
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Resurgence Eco Lodge

Resurgence Luxury Eco Lodge is tucked way back in the bush and on the edge of two National parks, about 45 minutes north westerly from Nelson. These are the views as you are pulling up.

The property consists of 50 acres of native brush that had been a farm. The original farm house is main lodge, which had to undergo a full renovation. The 6 “bush” chalet’s were built in what used to be the cow paddock. I stayed in the chalet suited more for honeymooners, due to the very romantic bathtub with a view.

The chalet is two levels – the upper level has the bathroom and the bedroom. The lower level is the living and kitchen space, which opens out to a patio with a bbq grill, table, and chairs.

One thing I love about lodges in New Zealand is most have heated bathrooms floors and towel racks. The bathroom isn't overly large, but an efficient space.

The living space is ample for a couple. The kitchenette is great.

The refrigerator has snacks and drinks. Continental breakfast items are left in the kitchen and if a hot breakfast is preferred, the owners will happily oblige.

The outdoor space and views are quite spectacular and really are the best feature. Guests can hike on trails straight out of the chalet’s. The book on the bed, shown in above pictures, has maps.

This chalet has a special feature:

The outdoor bathtub is really fantastic. It had manuka honey bath salts and is a great place to have a soak with a glass of wine. To better appreciate the chalet, this view is best:

The main lodge has 4 rooms, great for people traveling together. The next two pictures are the main lodge and the guest pool.

There is a lovely patio on the outside of the main lodge. I took the pool picture as I was walking up the stairs to it. For those guests in the main lodge, it is a great place to hang out and relax.

The evening meal is taken in the main lodge on the second floor. During my visit, I had drinks and canapes in the sitting room before moving to the dining.

With a rental car, it is a great place to stay to be close to Abel Tasman. The water taxi’s are only about 20 minutes away.

It is very quiet, serene and peaceful. Another place to go and do nothing. Guests can select a bed and breakfast option with an evening meal or a lodge only option. Dinner can be added on later if they select the lodge only option. The chalet’s all have a full (just small) kitchen, so one could self cater, if they desire too. The property does not allow children.

It is important to note Resurgence cannot be compared to the "ultra lodges" like Cape Kidnappers, Huka, Blanket Bay, etc. They are not trying to be in the same category and the cost is much, much less. Resurgence is more hands off - they want guests to come and disappear into the surroundings and relax - and if they need something, to let them know.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:01 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Great pics and comments.....thanks! I'd say you did luxury on your 2015 trip and not so much this year. We were puzzled why BOMC is included in the Lodges of New Zealand marketing group. It's because the owner is well connected to whatever....I cannot remember the story, but it's quite interesting. Motel 6 type furnishings in a beautiful spot. A blemish among truly great properties. An opinion shared by many operators.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.