Wiki Posts
Search

Washington D.C - Luxury hotel for tourist 27-30 Dec

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Washington D.C - Luxury hotel for tourist 27-30 Dec

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on which hotel to select for my upcoming trip with my girlfriend to D.C between 27-30 December 2015.

I don't stay at hotels too much in my line of work, and have no allegiance to a particular brand. I've been to DC as a kid, but to be honest I don't remember too much of the geography.

Looking for something fairly romantic, and capable of serving the main tourist attractions well - although daily cars into the city are not really much of an issue either. I'm not overly concerned about quality of in-house restaurant, we'll try to eat out most nights, unless the restaurant is a show-stopper. Main criteria would be excellent service, happy to deal with small requests, and a very high standard of decor.

So far I've looked at:

MO
RC
PH

I've had a bit of a dig around for trip reports, but any fresh recent perspectives would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Ben
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You might also want to consider Capella. For a start have a look here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...c-capella.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ington-dc.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...here-stay.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...art-1-a-4.html
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Jerry - shall have a flick through.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by BW0807
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on which hotel to select for my upcoming trip with my girlfriend to D.C between 27-30 December 2015.

I don't stay at hotels too much in my line of work, and have no allegiance to a particular brand. I've been to DC as a kid, but to be honest I don't remember too much of the geography.

Looking for something fairly romantic, and capable of serving the main tourist attractions well - although daily cars into the city are not really much of an issue either. I'm not overly concerned about quality of in-house restaurant, we'll try to eat out most nights, unless the restaurant is a show-stopper. Main criteria would be excellent service, happy to deal with small requests, and a very high standard of decor.

So far I've looked at:

MO
RC
PH

I've had a bit of a dig around for trip reports, but any fresh recent perspectives would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Ben
For proximity to tourist sites, the Hay Adams can't be beat.. it's also steeped in history/DC tradition.. that all being said, I prefer to stay in the West End. Close to the Foggy Bottom metro stop, it's also walking distance to Georgetown and Dupont Circle... my two favorite restaurants in DC are within walking distance- Obelisk and Sushi Taro... Unfortunately I don't consider either the RC or PH there terribly romantic. I prefer the decor at the PH over the RC and Blue Duck Tavern is definitely a great in house dining option...

As for as Georgetown goes, the Capella looks stunning. I've stayed at the FS there and find that the service there is quite strong. We spent our anniversary there a couple years ago and I worked with them to recreate our wedding cake. That all being said, I didn't find the hard product to be terribly exciting....In addition, it's quite a hike from the tourist attractions... Our favorite cupcake place is in Georgetown, Baked and Wired....

I've looked at the MO from time to time but it seems to be so isolated that it's really never appealed to me..

So, I usually do stay at the PH because I like the location, I find that it's a good value and it usually does the job for me... Virtuoso also grants an upgrade at booking which can be quite valuable as we were able to confirm into the Ambassador suite

FDW
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks FDW
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, RC STARS, PenClub, Dorchester Diamond, Rosewood Elite, Belmond Bellini, R&CPP
Stay at the Hay Adams with a White House view if available. Romantic, old-world class, service is top notch, proximity for touring is great and their concierge is fabulous. If you want more hip, boho-chic urban vibe, Capella in Georgetown is a good bet but not as ideal for touring. Both are Virtuoso properties.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions.

We're booked in to the Carlyle in a Superior Suite in NY for 4 days before heading to DC.

I'm very keen on the idea of the White House view, but I must admit $600 for a room or $900 for the Junior Suite seems steeper than I expected to pay in DC.

As an impartial point of view, what would you think (from a girlfriends perspective) of 2 nights in the PH, with the final night of the trip ending in the Hay Adams? Or would you stick to a significantly higher quality of room in the PH?

One final question, how probably are upgrades through Virtuso?

Ben
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:26 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BW0807
Thank you for your suggestions.

We're booked in to the Carlyle in a Superior Suite in NY for 4 days before heading to DC.

I'm very keen on the idea of the White House view, but I must admit $600 for a room or $900 for the Junior Suite seems steeper than I expected to pay in DC.

As an impartial point of view, what would you think (from a girlfriends perspective) of 2 nights in the PH, with the final night of the trip ending in the Hay Adams? Or would you stick to a significantly higher quality of room in the PH?

One final question, how probably are upgrades through Virtuso?

Ben
I would pick just one or the other... at least from my wife's point of view less moving is better....

PH has upgrades at time of booking... my last booking I booked a Park Exec suite and was upgraded to an Ambassador suite at booking....

Definitely takes the question mark out of upgrades....

FDW
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, RC STARS, PenClub, Dorchester Diamond, Rosewood Elite, Belmond Bellini, R&CPP
Agree with FDW, PH gives automatic upgrades at time of booking to Virtuoso clients, Hay Adams does not. Upgrades aren't always guaranteed and usually depend on availability at time of checkin, along a few other factors. I wouldn't want to pack and unpack in the same city, so also don't recommend moving hotels.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How about the Willard? It's as close to the White House as the Hay-Adams and is also an iconic historic building, although it's larger. Some of their junior suites and up are stunning, although run of the house rooms can be small.

Think about what you plan to do in DC before choosing a location. Typical tourist things are often oriented toward schoolkids, while for a romantic stay, I would prefer the Foggy Bottom/DuPont Circle/Georgetown area, including West End as a compromise in the middle of all this. You might enjoy Old Town Alexandria. Embassy Row could also be fun and has several nice hotels.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I am a huge Hay Adams fan. It's where I stay when I go to DC. It has a very American feel without being cutesy and folksy. Understatedly elegant. It's small, and has a level of detail that large chain hotels tend to miss. The location can't be beat. The service is as close to perfect as US hotels get -- very individualized. From romantic getaways with my husband to a girls' weekend with old friends, this is the place I choose.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's the big old grand dame on 16th (or 14th?) Street NW? IIRC it had a major renovation/restoration.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:53 pm

I would suggest either the Four Seasons or the Hay-Adams, even if budget limits you to lower category rooms. You can always book the right category to increase your chances of a nice upgrade.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
For the PH, the general policy is to upgrade at time of booking, with a few exceptions, like inauguration when booking with Virtuoso. My clients have always raved about the PH, but I would agree, I don't think it is overly romantic.

The IC Williard is another love of some of my clients. I can't say personally as I haven't stayed in any of them. There is a really fun bar on the rooftop right beside the White House with insane views. I can dig up the name if you want to go.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
I would also go for Hay Adams as by far my #1. Capella would be #2, followed by PH (though, the restaurant there, Blue Duck Tavern, is one of my favorites in DC!).

POV, on top of the W, is the rooftop that Travel K is referring to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.