Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Belmond Maroma vs Rosewood Mayakoba (Mexico)

Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

My husband and I want a getaway long weekend this fall and are trying to decide between these two Riviera Maya properties. Taking into consideration, service, rooms, amenities which would you choose. We are not going during any school vacation time because we would prefer more romance and less children.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:46 pm

Would be interested to hear some thoughts as well, as I was just considerin Mayakoba for something similar.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Belmond Maroma vs Rosewood Mayakoba

Maroma is the original Riviera Maya luxury property. It has a more classic Mexican feel and more beachfront. Awesome beach. Only highest room category has plunge pools.

Rosewood Mayakoba has a more modern hard product. Only one room category on the beach, but all rooms with plunge pools. Larger resort, with option to charge back to room from other Mayakoba resorts.

We go 1-2 times per year to Mexico and have for the past 10 years. We've stayed multiple times at both, and enjoy them for different reasons.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have not stayed at the Belmond, but we loved the Rosewood. We were in the basic room, so one the lagoon, quite far from the beach. That did not bother us as if you are on the beach, people will be walking past your villa the entire time. We walked the 5 minutes form the restaurant to the beach, but you can also arrange a buggy if you want. The breakfast buffet and the spa were fantastic. The room was pretty nice, but the layout was a little odd. I found the service at Rosewood to be about the same as what we have experienced in Punta Mita.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:13 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We were at Maroma earlier this year. Service was very warm and friendly. Our one bedroom suite was decorated authentic/charming. Food was very good, too. I didn't love the beach, though. The resort's beach beds were wonderful but there was lots of seaweed coming ashore and while the resort did their best to keep up with it, it was a losing battle. I wonder if this was just a time of year thing.

Speaking of time of year, Fall is a very rainy time of year for Cancun. If that's a problem for you, you might consider Cabo instead.

I tend to think of the Rosewood as the more family property and envision taking my young son there someday. They have a formal kids club, etc.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
The seaweed is called Sargassum and the amount that you experienced was extremely unusual. It can currently be found along the US Gulf, Caribbean islands, and Mexico. We experienced some in the BVI's in November, and in Tulum in April.

They are working on being able to forecast the drifts. To the best of my knowledge there is not a definitive answer as to why the quantity this year has been unusually large, or when it will end.

This is a photo of the beach from our last stay at Maroma.

I agree that Rosewood is more family oriented of the two properties. You can still have a romantic getaway there because the property is so large and there are plenty of spaces to enjoy the sun and water. We often go to the main pool in the morning and have it pretty much to ourselves, and then at lunch we either head to the beach or to the room to hang out at the plunge pool. When we had a beachfront room, there was no need to leave at all

I have seen children at Maroma, but there isn't much there just for them.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:36 pm

I have stayed at both - totally different experiences.

Maroma is a charming, traditional resort with probably the best beach in Riviera Maya.

Most of the newer resorts are long and thin, so that the beaches are narrow and the resort stretches back towards the road, often including accommodations with cenote views rather than sea views.

It matters what type of accommodation you choose. You need at the very least a Junior Suite at Maroma. The Pool suites, at the other end of the beach are the best, though.

Rosewood Mayakoba is very slick, but it does tend to attract a lot of families. I like the suites that overlook the lagoon as they are so peaceful - much better than the beachfront ones, IMHO.

If you want a very traditional Mexican experience, then Maroma is tough to beat in this area. I used to like The Tides (now Viceroy Riviera Maya) which was a superb place for couples, but I am not sure how good it is these days. If anyone has been there recently, then it would be interesting to know, as it is very couples-oriented.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:52 am

We are also thinking about going early December. Would it be a good time to go? I am worried the water might be too cold?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:28 am

Maroma is much better for a romantic vacation and secluded with beautiful a beautiful beach. Mayacoba is more commercial and has a man made beach.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by cutebunny930
We are also thinking about going early December. Would it be a good time to go? I am worried the water might be too cold?
http://www.holiday-weather.com/playa...rages/december
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:21 pm
Original Member

We are off to Maroma Tuesday, booked one-bedroom beachfront suite. An impulsive trip and delighted therefore. Used AmEx rewards for round trip business-class air.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:50 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Does anyone have an email address for Daniel Scott at Rosewood Mayakoba?
We have a few questions/requests before our stay next month.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.