Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London: Rosewood vs Langham

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:00 am
Original Poster

London: Rosewood vs Langham

For our upcoming family vacation in London, we have been offered an Executive room at the Rosewood and a Grand Executive at the Langham (renovated section) at similar rates. The rooms are roughy comparable in size. Would appreciate how to compare the two. We are in our 40s with 5-yr old in tow. Pretty active lifestyles and like modern clean look.

Last edited by KRSFO; Jul 27, 2015 at 8:20 am
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by KRSFO
For our upcoming family vacation in London, we have been offered an Executive room at the Rosewood and a Grand Executive at the Langham (renovated section) at similar rates. The rooms are roughy comparable in size. Would appreciate how to compare the two. We are in our 40s with 5-yr old in tow. Pretty active lifestyles and like modern clean look.
Without doubt, The Rosewood London is the better hotel in every way - clean modern rooms, very good service and, great food and spa. Although it is in Holborn, it is surprisingly close to Covent Garden, so is not as isolated as you would expect.

The Langham's public areas look great, but the rooms are very small and decorated in a rather old fashioned style, IMHO - even those that are refurbished. The food is not very good either. Location is just off Oxford Street, so very central for the shops.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Without doubt, The Rosewood London is the better hotel in every way - clean modern rooms, very good service and, great food and spa. Although it is in Holborn, it is surprisingly close to Covent Garden, so is not as isolated as you would expect.

The Langham's public areas look great, but the rooms are very small and decorated in a rather old fashioned style, IMHO - even those that are refurbished. The food is not very good either. Location is just off Oxford Street, so very central for the shops.

I cannot disagree more about the Rosewood, having just finished my stay a week ago. The rooms are bare, almost mental hospital kind of decor with plain white painted walls and no views to speak of from the windows. Even the suites are not much better with illogical layout. The whole place esp the common areas and corridors ( other than the lobby and restaurants ) are just dark, poorly lit and creepy. You cannot even pay me to stay there again. Food was also mediocre at best.

No idea about the Langham as I have not stayed there before. A safe bet in London would be the Four Seasons Park Lane. Personally I love the Savoy but it's a polarizing choice as many here don't like the perceived "stuffy" atmosphere.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
No wonder I am often confused here.
Parterre likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Paint Horse
No wonder I am often confused here.
^
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by BENLEE
I cannot disagree more about the Rosewood, having just finished my stay a week ago. The rooms are bare, almost mental hospital kind of decor with plain white painted walls and no views to speak of from the windows. Even the suites are not much better with illogical layout. The whole place esp the common areas and corridors ( other than the lobby and restaurants ) are just dark, poorly lit and creepy. You cannot even pay me to stay there again. Food was also mediocre at best.
Wow, that is stunningly the opposite of what I witnessed, and what most every luxury hotel writer experienced if you do a Google search. We have a Rosewood thread here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...el-london.html

The suites that I stayed in and visited are absolutely the best in London. Nothing else comes close. I would assume the executive rooms are pretty nice too, but I have no idea about the lower rooms.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by stimpy
Wow, that is stunningly the opposite of what I witnessed, and what most every luxury hotel writer experienced if you do a Google search. We have a Rosewood thread here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...el-london.html

The suites that I stayed in and visited are absolutely the best in London. Nothing else comes close. I would assume the executive rooms are pretty nice too, but I have no idea about the lower rooms.
Well, one man's meat is another man's poison. I stand by my observations of the Rosewood. Its an awful awful property in terms of rooms and decoration. If your idea of "absolute best" are rooms with white painted walls, no painting or decoration of any kind, windows that have no views and wires dangling from the roof top, and corridors and hallways that resembles a haunted house instead of luxury hotel, I guess the Rosewood is for you. I just have no interest to even get anywhere near it again. Stayed at the Premier Room and Deluxe Suite. Suite was an upgrade after my complain but other than a nicer bathroom, fare no better imho.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, one man's meat is another man's poison. I stand by my observations of the Rosewood. Its an awful awful property in terms of rooms and decoration. If your idea of "absolute best" are rooms with white painted walls, no painting or decoration of any kind, windows that have no views and wires dangling from the roof top, and corridors and hallways that resembles a haunted house instead of luxury hotel, I guess the Rosewood is for you. I just have no interest to even get anywhere near it again. Stayed at the Premier Room and Deluxe Suite. Suite was an upgrade after my complain but other than a nicer bathroom, fare no better imho.
Maybe they took down the paintings and decorations for you?

Try this link to see what they actually look like with decorations, paintings, sculptures, etc. https://www.google.fr/search?q=rosew...IVCT0UCh2QAgQS

And like I said, google around and you will see that your opinion is distinctly in the minority. It's not just me who says these suites are the best in London.

And Scarfes has earned the top hotel bar design in Europe for the past 2 or 3 years.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I think that it's a pretty close call between the two.

For rooms I'd probably go with the Rosewood as it's newer and has a really nice design and the suites look amazing, but I'm not familiar with their service levels and the Langham really is top drawer in that regard.

Incidentally, Scarfes may have won top Europe bar design, but the Artesian which is the Langham bar has been #1 in the Top 50 Bars of the world for the last 2 years and just won Best International Bar in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:38 am

Maybe they took down the paintings and decorations for you?

Try this link to see what they actually look like with decorations, paintings, sculptures, etc. https://www.google.fr/search?q=rosew...IVCT0UCh2QAgQS

And like I said, google around and you will see that your opinion is distinctly in the minority. It's not just me who says these suites are the best in London.

And Scarfes has earned the top hotel bar design in Europe for the past 2 or 3 years.
My opinion is just as valid as yours. I have stayed there myself not long ago. U can quote google all you want but I actually stayed there and what I posted is my actual experience. If we all parrot the same opinion then the forum will not be interesting. Your sarcasm is not appreciated. Let'ss just agreed to disagreed. Thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My opinion is just as valid as yours. I have stayed there myself not long ago. U can quote google all you want but I actually stayed there and what I posted is my actual experience. If we all parrot the same opinion then the forum will not be interesting. Your sarcasm is not appreciated. Let'ss just agreed to disagreed. Thanks.
Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but you posted as "fact" that there are no decorations and that all the walls are white in both rooms and suites. That's patently false as the pictures show and not an opinion.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Incidentally, Scarfes may have won top Europe bar design, but the Artesian which is the Langham bar has been #1 in the Top 50 Bars of the world for the last 2 years and just won Best International Bar in New Orleans a couple of weeks ago
Nice to know. I'll check out that bar next time in London.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:52 am

Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but you posted as "fact" that there are no decorations and that all the walls are white in both rooms and suites. That's patently false as the pictures show and not an opinion.
That is the truth. If u choose not to believe it is your choice. Will you witth me during my stay and saw what I saw? Stop calling others liar if you don't have any proof.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is the truth. If u choose not to believe it is your choice. Will you witth me during my stay and saw what I saw? Stop calling others liar if you don't have any proof.
Sorry, but you didn't say that your rooms were like that. You claimed that ALL the rooms and suites were like that. That is completely false and yes I do have proof, as done anyone else with eyes. Plus I highly doubt you visited all the rooms and suites and you certainly didn't visit the one I stayed in. You need to learn to stop writing in absolutes and just stick with the details of your own stay and your own personal observations. Otherwise you are bound to be consistently wrong.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
I think the Langham is a very nice hotel, the remodeled rooms, amenities, and service are very good. The location is excellent. I also enjoyed the pool. As someone mentioned upthread, the bar at the Langham is awesome!
Cannot compare it with the Rosewood yet, I am checking in next Saturday August 8th and will then be able to write up a comparison between the two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.