Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XV Beacon Hotel Boston – Good hard product, weak soft product

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:05 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
XV Beacon Hotel Boston – Good hard product, weak soft product

Overview: An in-city, boutique hotel that misses the mark on a luxury experience
Strengths: Rooms (excluding bathrooms), location
Drawbacks: Service experience, bathrooms, Virtuoso is an afterthought
Notable: Room service has access to their in-house steak house (great), but brought me someone else’s order (not great)

This property has the potential to be a very nice, in-city boutique hotel. The rooms are done very nicely (except for a shower issue) and offer a feel very different to Boston's Ritz (review) or Four Seasons. With some meaningful improvement to service, this would be a strong offering in Boston. Until the service standards are improved, however, this isn’t a property I’d recommend staying at.

Comprehensive report here: http://sitinfirst.com/2015/07/xv-bea...-soft-product/

Mindful that I've missed the mark on my last two hotel stays, my next stay will be back at the FS-HKG...just about as close to a sure thing as one can get!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Thanks for the review... from what I recall there really isn't a consensus of the best option for Boston... FS is dated right? The Ritz looked pretty generic but not terrible... Bathrooms are important to me; I want something at least as nice as what I have at home, if not better

FDW
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Thanks for the review... from what I recall there really isn't a consensus of the best option for Boston... FS is dated right? The Ritz looked pretty generic but not terrible... Bathrooms are important to me; I want something at least as nice as what I have at home, if not better

FDW
Boston isn't a strong hotel city.

The FS is quite dated in terms of room design, but is in very good condition. Service is strong, too. Ritz is a bit sterile, but new and comfortable. Decent club room.

I've yet to try the Taj (f/k/a Ritz) or MO...they're up next.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
FS is dated right? The Ritz looked pretty generic but not terrible... Bathrooms are important to me; I want something at least as nice as what I have at home, if not better

FDW
The bathrooms at the FS were updated recently. I would call it a traditional hotel in terms of decor. Everything is clean and well-maintained, but the park facing rooms are often occupied for meetings. Upgrades are difficult. We are supposed to be getting a brand new FS in 2017.

XV Beacon is challenged because it simply ins't a full service hotel.

I like the Club Floor at the RC and I like the new bar in the lobby. It has more modern rooms than the FS, but no on-site fitness center.

Since there is no standout property, I choose mainly on location and then price. Location being especially important in the winter.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:20 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Often wondered about this one. Sorry you didn't have a better experience. Thanks for the report.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:39 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks for the report! I also was curious about this property, having dined here many years ago when the amazing Federalist restaurant was on site (since replaced by Moo).

I agree that Boston isn't a great hotel city at the high end. I may be staying at the MO next spring and add a TR if no one else has already done so by then. (I've eaten at Bar Boulud there in the MO and seen the MO lobby, but that's about it.)
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
The bathrooms at the FS were updated recently. I would call it a traditional hotel in terms of decor. Everything is clean and well-maintained, but the park facing rooms are often occupied for meetings. Upgrades are difficult. We are supposed to be getting a brand new FS in 2017.
Nice to see the update bathrooms. I stayed there in October and while it was in good condition, the decor was dated. The one large room concept without a separate WC remains unchanged...but there is just a hair too little space to make a segregated WC.

Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
XV Beacon is challenged because it simply ins't a full service hotel.
Agreed.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:57 pm

Thanks for the review - I've been curious about this property!
Old May 29, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
Any recent stays? Planning a long weekend at the end of September, and having trouble picking a hotel. XV, Ritz or FS. MO already sold out.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:48 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by CarNut
Any recent stays? Planning a long weekend at the end of September, and having trouble picking a hotel. XV, Ritz or FS. MO already sold out.
I'm definitely not a fan of FS or RC unless you need that location. Both are tired decor with solid but unspectacular service compared to the brand expectation/standard IMO, resting on the laurels of their brands.

I prefer the Liberty Hotel over both of those. Fantastic design, great service, nice views over the Charles into Cambridge. Entry level rooms are on the smaller side, but otherwise this is perhaps the most underrated luxury hotel in Boston IMO. Dining at Clink is outstanding--one of my favorite restaurants in the city, even when I'm not at the Liberty. Room service also tremendous. Recently renovated, looks fantastic. The lobby area is quite the social scene, but my room was as quiet as a church mouse.

I've not yet stayed at the MO for comparison purposes, but the MO dining is wonderful. I hope to stay here soon to compare!

Last edited by bhrubin; May 30, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'm definitely not a fan of FS or RC unless you need that location. Both are tired decor with solid but unspectacular service compared to the brand expectation/standard IMO, resting on the laurels of their brands.

I prefer the Liberty Hotel over both of those. Fantastic design, great service, nice views over the Charles into Cambridge. Entry level rooms are on the smaller side, but otherwise this is perhaps the most underrated luxury hotel in Boston IMO. Dining at Clink is outstanding--one of my favorite restaurants in the city, even when I'm not at the Liberty. Room service also tremendous. Recently renovated, looks fantastic. The lobby area is quite the social scene, but my room was as quiet as a church mouse.

I've not yet stayed at the MO for comparison purposes, but the MO dining is wonderful. I hope to stay here soon to compare!
was booked for a stay in September at Beacon, but now reconsidering...

If MO and Liberty are about the same price, which location is preferable for a first time visitor going to a Red Sox game and sightseeing?
Old May 30, 2016, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by op487062

If MO and Liberty are about the same price, which location is preferable for a first time visitor going to a Red Sox game and sightseeing?
The Liberty is closer to the XV Beacon near Boston Common. The MO is closer to Fenway. However, based on all the sights you'd likely want to see, I don't think one hotel is necessarily better located; both are good locations IMO.

You can use Google Maps to easily see the distances involved for everything you'd like to see and choose accordingly.
Old May 30, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by op487062

I've stayed at both and live two blocks from the MO. At the same price point, I'd never choose the Liberty. That said, I do like both hotels.
Old May 30, 2016, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I've stayed at both and live two blocks from the MO. At the same price point, I'd never choose the Liberty. That said, I do like both hotels.
I think this is a fair assessment, actually. ^^
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Just a quick update after a brief stay at the XV; my room was visually impressive (apparently two Gilbert Stuart portraits, not GW, on the walls) but otherwise as described above. A tiny lobby where there seemed to be regular chats between the concierge, the guy at the desk and a friend or two. Odd plumbing (the shower issue noted above, plus the sink faucet made a lot more noise than one would expect) and not much of a view. Lots of convenient electrical outlets (I travel with too many things that all seem to need to be charged).

We usually stay at the FS in Boston but it was booked up this time; I have a feeling we'll be back at the FS next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.