Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What hotels in the US have private pools?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

While I've found plenty of hotels in the Carribbean, Mexico, Greece, and the French Polynesian Islands that have private plunge pools, there are only a few that I know of in the US, at least that are less than $800/night:

Amangiri
Cosmopolitan (Las Vegas) - doesn't really count since they look to be about 4 square feet
JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelbak
Phoenician
Belamere Suites

Are there any others that you've stayed at or heard of?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
While I've found plenty of hotels in the Carribbean, Mexico, Greece, and the French Polynesian Islands that have private plunge pools, there are only a few that I know of in the US, at least that are less than $800/night:

Amangiri
Cosmopolitan (Las Vegas) - doesn't really count since they look to be about 4 square feet
JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelbak
Phoenician
Belamere Suites

Are there any others that you've stayed at or heard of?
$800 a night for a hotel room? How many nights are you thinking of staying?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
$800 a night for a hotel room? How many nights are you thinking of staying?
Just for a nice weekend getaway. There's a couple things I want to cross of my bucket list
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are also some such hotels in France. These's one that's up the hill from St Paul de Vence. I think about half of their units have private pools.

I don't think the Phoenician has private pools. The associated LC property that shares the same campus, Canyon Suites, has it's own pool just for those guests (and one or two hot tubs with great views) but I didn't see any private pools. The Presidential Suite at Canyon Suites has a huge terrace with a fire pit that might also have a hot tub, but it isn't a pool. You might be thinking of the townhome style condos also on the campus, near the entrance gate at the bottom of the hill. These might have individual pools. They can be rented as some sort of Starwood vacation property, but it would be a long walk to any hotel services.

You might want to look into luxury villa rental programs, perhaps in gated communities around Vail or Aspen.

Would a suite with an indoor pool or a pool on a rooftop deck work?

This is likely to cost more than $800 per night in high season.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are also some such hotels in France. These's one that's up the hill from St Paul de Vence. I think about half of their units have private pools.

I don't think the Phoenician has private pools. The associated LC property that shares the same campus, Canyon Suites, has it's own pool just for those guests (and one or two hot tubs with great views) but I didn't see any private pools. The Presidential Suite at Canyon Suites has a huge terrace with a fire pit that might also have a hot tub, but it isn't a pool. You might be thinking of the townhome style condos also on the campus, near the entrance gate at the bottom of the hill. These might have individual pools. They can be rented as some sort of Starwood vacation property, but it would be a long walk to any hotel services.

You might want to look into luxury villa rental programs, perhaps in gated communities around Vail or Aspen.

Would a suite with an indoor pool or a pool on a rooftop deck work?

This is likely to cost more than $800 per night in high season.
Thanks for the recommendation for Vail or Aspen, I hadn't considered looking there. We have a trip coming up there in the fall so perhaps we can get a good rate since that's during the low season.

The villas I was thinking of at the Phoenician are the 2-bedroom villas, looking at it online it looks like they're considered part of the "Phoenician Residences." The prices are pretty reasonable during the summer, starting in the low $600s, that just happens to be a lot more room than we would need.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:55 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this appears best discussed in the Luxury Hotels forum, I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Thanks for the recommendation for Vail or Aspen, I hadn't considered looking there. We have a trip coming up there in the fall so perhaps we can get a good rate since that's during the low season.

The villas I was thinking of at the Phoenician are the 2-bedroom villas, looking at it online it looks like they're considered part of the "Phoenician Residences." The prices are pretty reasonable during the summer, starting in the low $600s, that just happens to be a lot more room than we would need.
Yep, these are the condo-type units located at the bottom of the hill on the edge of the resort campus. Don't expect standard type hotel services, although you might be able to call for a shuttle to take you up to the hotel's restaurants. IIRC, they don't participate in SPG either. It seems to be some sort of vacation venture, perhaps timeshare, rather than part of the Phoenician.

BTW, the Phoenican is huge (maybe a thousand rooms total? they're mostly cookie-cutter standard in a huge ugly modern building, some of which would have good views, hanging over the top of the hill) and IMO only the Canyon Suites separate (higher class/category) hotel is really luxury. The Phoenician itself has some villas suitable for families in IIRC two-story buildings below the iconic huge pool next to the golf course but these do NOT have private pools. They're not at all the same as the Residences.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 17, 2015 at 11:13 am
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:22 am

The only warning I would give you is to see if the pool will be warm/hot.

We had a villa at Nizuc in Cancun and the plunge pool was FREEZING. It ended up worthless.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by farbster

We had a villa at Nizuc in Cancun and the plunge pool was FREEZING. It ended up worthless.
One of the best posts I've ever seen on this forum. Not being sarcastic either.

All the time we talk about perks perks perks, a private plunge pool being one.

A freezing plunge pool - rendered inoperable - is one of the WORST let downs you could ever have at a lux hotel.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pricesquire
One of the best posts I've ever seen on this forum. Not being sarcastic either.

All the time we talk about perks perks perks, a private plunge pool being one.

A freezing plunge pool - rendered inoperable - is one of the WORST let downs you could ever have at a lux hotel.
I agree 100%. I never understand why people want a small cool pool to just stand in. I would either want a real private pool, or prefer if they turned the plunge pools into Jacuzzis
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I agree 100%. I never understand why people want a small cool pool to just stand in. I would either want a real private pool, or prefer if they turned the plunge pools into Jacuzzis
I always used to love the idea of a private pool but we stopped upgrading to the room type as most of them were not heated and it was freezing. The only place I'd pay for an upgrade to a pool suite again would be Amangiri, as it went up to 36 Celsius - amazing.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.sanctuaryoncamelback.com/...-estate-homes/ (in hotel inventory)

http://www.kiawahresort.com/accommod...-private-homes

http://www.seaisland.com/accommodati...h-availability
http://www.hualalaivillasandhomes.com/

Phoenician Residences = fractionals >
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...ropertyID=5652
http://www.thephoenician.com/vacation-ownership/

http://www.mirage.com/thevillas/#grid/lanais
https://www.caesars.com/anthology-suites/rio

in miami, budget would cover suites with plunge pools, but not suites/bungalows with swimming pools

there is at least one prior thread on 'private pools in US'

edit >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...hours-nyc.html
mauna kea in hawaii has residences like hualalai

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 18, 2015 at 10:24 am
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:45 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by farbster

Did you ask them to adjust the temperature?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I always used to love the idea of a private pool but we stopped upgrading to the room type as most of them were not heated and it was freezing. The only place I'd pay for an upgrade to a pool suite again would be Amangiri, as it went up to 36 Celsius - amazing.
I've been to several properties with private "plunge pools." Every one offered the ability to set the temperature. The best ones contacted me in advance to ask what temp I'd like.

Where did you go where they were unwilling/unable to make changes?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:55 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Four Seasons Scottsdale have suites with private plunge pools -- they are shallow so enough to sit in up to your neck. Great in winter as you can heat them up.

Hyatt Grand Champions (I think it is now the Hyatt Indian Wells) have villas with postage sized in ground hot tubs with jets.

Same with San Ysidro Ranch -- certain of their suites have jetted tubs in ground.

Hotel Bel Air and the Beverly Hills Hotel have suites with pools -- however, these will be well north of $800 on the whole, especially at Beverly Hills Hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.