Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nihiwatu Indonesia Review

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Nihiwatu Indonesia Review

I finally have some free time after the end of quater to post my review.

Nihiwatu Review
------

Let's start with the room. We booked through DavidO and initially went for the lead in category - Ratu. The lead in category is $900 + around 30% tax, on a full board basis.

The Ratu villas are high in the mountains, but offer no ocean view. We were offered an upgrade to an ocean view villa and agreed.

Big mistake!

The problem with the upgraded villa (Ombak) is the lack of privacy. The villa is right on the main walking path and borders the kitchen and restaurant immediately to the left.

Not only can people see what you are doing, but you can hear everything coming from the kitchen.

There was a nice outdoor shower area, but the shower borders the restaurant, so there was no privacy. We didn't use outdoor shower or bath as a result.

When I mean borders, theres probably a 5 inch or less gap.

Besides the downside, the room was awesome. The room was very large and had a nice size plunge pool. All rooms have private pools - there is no longer a communal pool as Nihiwatu demolished it to build more villas.

If you are hoping for an upgrade and value privacy, book the Ombak category and get upgraded to the Marranga (very private plus additional deck).

Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Service
---------

The service was 50%.

Here was the bad - the activity director and staff were incredibly PUSHY. They just kept on pushing activities upon activities upon activities.

I understand they don't make money off food, but the constant activity "sell" was very tiring. My wife and I work a lot and are there to unwind and spend time together, but were constantly asked "do you want to do this?" , "this trip is amazing, do it tomorrow", "oh there's no swell, come and do this when you aren't surfing".

One morning we get a call that said "hey, you missed this SUP activity". my wife and I looked a bit perplexed as we didn't sign up anything that day. The activity director said "you said at dinner it sounded fun so I signed you up". I was scratching my head.

On checkout, they tried to charge us a CANCELLATION FEE for an activity we never agreed to.

These activities don't come cheap, each activity (even for 2 hours SUP trip) starts at $250 bucks and goes up from there. Sure, there are no other hotels around, but the trips (with the exception of a few) don't offer much value in my opinion.

Even worst, was the lack of privacy. AGAIN. Some of this can be attributed to the location of the villa, but some of it can be attributed the lack of a proper key and privacy system (do not disturb).

We always got interrupted at the most "inopportune" times. Housekeepers would just barge in without knocking, workers would just come up the steps to tidy up around the villa, pool workers would just show up randomly.

One night the butler (who was a great guy) showed up when my wife was changing. No knock. No warning.

People did complain to us about the same thing on the way to airport. Apparently they don;'t train this to the locals - rather they focus on language, etc.

Here was the good ->

You are assigned a personal butler at the beginning of your stay. The butler serves you breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Our butler was actually very nice and didn't push anything at all. Each butler comes from a local village and is very proud to work at the resort.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Activities
-----

The best activities at this resort are free. The mountain biking was incredible here. Some of the best single track I have ever experienced at a luxury resort like this.

Nihiwatu purchased some entry level Camber 29er so there is no need to bring your own bike. I do recommend bringing some oil and tools to tune up the bike though, as the bikes were not tuned at all during my stay.

The local bike guide was a super friendly. We were biking through just some incredible places (we biked everyday) and you would pass waterbufalo, local wildlife, and really got to see things you didn't see from the resort.

There are quite a few hazards so make sure to be careful as the hotel doesn't maintain the trails.

I have some fun GoPro footage that I will get arond to editing.

They also have amazing hiking trips (free) were the local takes you around a rice paddy through local villages.

That was also a lot of fun as well. They do bring you a picnick lunch to enjoy.

Last edited by surftb15; Jul 1, 2015 at 2:26 pm
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Other Stuff
-----

Surfing
----

Everyone hypes up this wave (oh, its so exclusive) but it really isn't anything special. If you surf travel, you can find MANY similar waves throughout the world (this wave is similar to Rincon PR).

That being said, the wave is still nice , even if you have to pay $100 / day to have the "right to surf".

Reef Condition
----

We only got to see the reef on the last day, as the swell made it impossible to see anything during the week. The reef is in pretty good condition, though we didn't have that much time to explore prior to leaving for our flight.

Bad Stuff
-----

As I mentioned above, our villa bordered the restaurant. On the 2nd night, there was an "impromptu" dance party where guests decided to play their own music, get wasted, and dance on the bar.

I have no problem with people doing any of those things. However, the party went till 1 or 1:30 am and the management had no control over anything. They were actually encouraging what was going on.

The next morning the GM wasn't that apologetic and actually said "the upgrade backfired". Well Sorry I'm hear to spend the time with my wife and not get drunk!

OVERALL
----

All things considered, Nihiwatu is a very special resort. While the resort does not service figured out yet, everything else about the stay was exceptional. It is certainly worth the short plane ride from Bali - Sumba is not developed and the resort, although growing rapidly, is still on the smaller side.

Last edited by surftb15; Jul 1, 2015 at 2:43 pm
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:41 am
Suspended

Thank you for the report ^

Have you decided not to post the one particular foto from the "jungle night"?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:08 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Great review! I am thinking of staying there (booking Marranga as I like privacy); how was the food? Is wine included with meals (their web site is ambiguous about this)? Sounds like their mini-bar is restocked with alcohol. Did you try the horse riding or yoga, which seem to be features of the resort? I like the fact that the hotel spends a lot of money building schools and wells for the community.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, RC STARS, PenClub, Dorchester Diamond, Rosewood Elite, Belmond Bellini, R&CPP
Food and non-alcoholic beverages are included; not wine. Horseback riding and yoga are both fun/great activities, but the Nihi Oka Spa Safari is NOT to be missed: http://www.nihiwatu.com/experiences/spa-safari/
Most amazing experience..

If you're interested in surfing, be sure to sign up in advance to secure a spot, costs $100 per person per day.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Great review! I am thinking of staying there (booking Marranga as I like privacy); how was the food? Is wine included with meals (their web site is ambiguous about this)? Sounds like their mini-bar is restocked with alcohol. Did you try the horse riding or yoga, which seem to be features of the resort? I like the fact that the hotel spends a lot of money building schools and wells for the community.
The food was good. Is it equivalent to other high end resorts? Certainly not, it isn't bad though. I have some pix I can post if you want them. You get an appetizer, entree, and desert for dinner and appetizer + entree for lunch. Breakfast you can order whatever.

Wife and I never are that much so we usually split 2 appetizers and an entree.

Wine is not included. They do give you small bottles of wine in your mini bar tough, which is free. also included (for free) in the mini bar is gin, tequila, whiskey, and some snacks. They do a good job of replenishing the mini-bar everyday as well.

BTW - the fish of the day is always mahi-mahi!

The feature of the resort is surfing! I did try yoga and the class was pretty good. Its hard to have a real good yoga class thouh bc theres many different skill levels all in one class. The instructor did a good job trying to mix up the classes throughout the week.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I dislike pushiness. That director was douchey to sign you up for something you only remarked about. would you go back surftb15?
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Hmmmm.

Two thoughts.. The service is much more polished and less pushy in bali, but the rooms and location are amazing in nihiwatu.

Considering the hotel is rapidly expanding, my hope is they get the service kinks figured out to feel more like a true five star resort. I also think Nihi will lose some of the charm in this large expansion project . Plus some room rates have gone down as the resort is building more affordable rooms.

Tough question. My answer is 'well see'. I expected more last time but every issue was fixable.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:35 pm

Any recent stays? I have an upcoming visit. Thanks!
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Hi guys,

Any recent stays here ?
I wonder if the service aspect has improved ?
Old May 19, 2019, 9:02 am

Same question. Any recent experiences?
Old Jul 29, 2023, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
Has anyone stayed at Nihi recently?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.