Wiki Posts
Search

Trump Panama or....?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Trump Panama or....?

Brief first visit to Panama City for a few days late Nov/early Dec.

Trump Panama seems to be only 5* property there, though it's a bit removed from the center of the city. Couldn't resist what appears to be a screaming good deal: Approx. $350/nt. inclusive for ~900 sq.ft. junior suite.

Is this a too good to be true offer? Other reccs for Panama City in the luxury category? (Looks like a couple impending openings, including a Walfdorf-Astoria property, but not until late Dec./early 2013).

Suggestions/thoughts appreciated.

--mcz
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:34 am

Programs: millemiglia - milesmore- spg - goldpassport - priority club- the leader club - others
Recently I have been several times in Panama and must admit there is a lack of real 5 star properties.

The best choice has always been supposed to be the Bristol.
It is a boutique hotel, central located, with an "old style" feeling. Rooms are generous in terms of space. Service was very good.
The hotel is a bit dated.
In my opinion restaurant was average.

I have not slept to Trump but I had the opportunity to enter the Hotel. It looks very nice. You might want to give it a try but yes, compared to the bristol and other hotels it is a bit removed from the centre.

Some People consider even Le Meridien an option given the location.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:31 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by The_Daddy
The best choice has always been supposed to be the Bristol.
It is a boutique hotel, central located, with an "old style" feeling. Rooms are generous in terms of space. Service was very good.
The hotel is a bit dated.
In my opinion restaurant was average.
We ate there a few months ago. I agree that the much praised restaurant was average. We much preferred our 10 course tasting menu at Manuel Caracol in the old city.

We stayed at the Marriott, a perfectly fine business hotel though certainly not a luxury hotel. I liked it because it was in the center of things. We could easily walk to the Bristol but more importantly a decent Middle Eastern restaurant was immediately across the street.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
What's best in Panama City at the moment?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: SK Diamond *G
I have visited both Trump, Bristol and Waldorf Astoria. Among those, Bristol is my clear number one with WA being the least favourable. Bristol has nice ambience and good service, although location is quite boring. The other two are pure plastic with no soul in my opinion. However, my current favourite in Panama is the new American Trade Hotel in Old Town (Casco Viejo). Amazingly restored colonial house with great rooms and amenities. Small rooftop pool and sun deck on the roof as well. Great restaurant, bar and jazz club. Less glitzy, but much more pleasant.
Old May 27, 2015, 5:42 pm

Panama

Any top hotels/resorts? In Panama City all I can see is an InterCon & Trump?
Old May 27, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See this thread with some recent comments:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...mp-panama.html
Old May 27, 2015, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Thanks!
Old May 27, 2015, 6:58 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Anyone have any info on Pearl Island? Looks to be developed by Dolphin, where are behind Amanzoe and Aman Playa Grande...

Thanks
FDW
Old May 27, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

pearl island will be ritz carlton reserve, info on dolphin website
Old May 27, 2015, 11:38 pm

The American Trade Hotel in the old city would be my choice in Panama. I didn't stay there but I did have lunch and had a good look around. I thought it looked fabulous. Panama City is extraordinary - its skyline is beginning to rival Dubai.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:17 am

The Flight Deal has some super cheap sounding flights to Pamana. Posted today.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:36 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Thanks. With that info, I am going to merge the two threads.

RichardInSF, moderator luxury hotels
Old May 29, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Any top hotels/resorts? In Panama City all I can see is an InterCon & Trump?
Stayed at the Trump last month. It is a very nice hotel although perhaps not as nice as some of the other Trump properties. Stayed in a junior suite which was very spacious and nice, but the sea view from most rooms is only partial because of other large buildings around. Sort of kills the point of the nice bathtub by the window!!

We actually enjoyed our dinner at the main restaurant (had been arranged in advanced for birthday and they received us very well). By contrast, I found the breakfast mediocre. The infinity pools are pretty and pleasant but quite busy. Free shuttle just goes from mall to mall (and supermarket).

Overall verdict, a very good hotel rather than an excellent one, but I'm not convinced there is very much better within Panama city limits.
Old May 31, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Having spent a lot of time in PTY I can say that the Bristol is my fave in the city and the American Trade Hotel is my fave is Casco Viejo. It depends on what you are looking for. Bristol is near the area that is the banking/finance district and close to two major malls. You can walk along the bay which is very nice,
The American Trade Hotel gives you the feeling of old Panama bith in the area it is in and the hotel itself. I was surprised it had a pool and I thought that was great. Lots of funky bars, restaurants and galleries and boutiques nearby

I do not like the Trump at all. Don't like Punta Pacifica and don't like the view.
I did not stay there but did a tour when I was looking to purchase an apartment in PTY. Passed on Trump and glad I did. Trump is not involved at all in the property and only sold his name to the developers. Lots of unhappy owners there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.