Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by free101girl
I find this statement quite amusing in light of your very negative comments about the Goring in a thread some years ago (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...el-london.html).

You said: "Problem is, I would not class The Goring as a Luxury Hotel, so does this mean that quintessential London does not equate with luxury?"

When I (and others) questioned this, you complained of "tired corridors and dated furnishing in the rooms" which I thought was bizarre, having just stayed in a suite at the Goring that was up-to-date and beautiful in every regard. I've always found the service at the Goring to be amazing as well.

You further commented that "The Goring is very well thought of in England and it is, compared to most independently owned hotels, very well run, but it is not in the high-end league, and I am sure they would agree with that."

Those comments have stuck in my mind all these years because I found them so remarkably wrong.

Perhaps your mind changed after the Duchess of Cambridge stayed at the Goring prior to the royal wedding?
Just spotted this post.
Please! Why on earth would I equate the quality of a hotel with the fact that a Royal stayed there? If you knew me, you would know I would never do this. I really think The Goring has improved a lot over the years, which I am pleased about. Last time I stayed I was very taken with the place and now they have refurbished to such a high level, even more so. Hotels change. Some get worse, others get better. The Goring has definitely got better, OK?
Old May 8, 2015, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Hotels change. Some get worse, others get better. The Goring has definitely got better, OK?
Count me in as someone whose very impressed with the Goring post-reno. It's back in my list of LON considerations now.
Old May 9, 2015, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Just spotted this post.
Please! Why on earth would I equate the quality of a hotel with the fact that a Royal stayed there?
But perhaps you feel like one In fact it says nothing about a hotel. Also never stay at a hotel when Royals, high politicans or megastars are present. Not a pleasant experience....
Old May 9, 2015, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Also never stay at a hotel when Royals, high politicans or megastars are present. Not a pleasant experience....
So true!
I guess my bad opinion about Grand Hotel du Cap Ferrat is probably linked to the fact that a French superstar was staying 2 suites away from ours. It was a nightmare.
Old May 9, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
It was a nightmare.
Can imagain
Old May 10, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
So true!
I guess my bad opinion about Grand Hotel du Cap Ferrat is probably linked to the fact that a French superstar was staying 2 suites away from ours. It was a nightmare.
Tony Blair uses the club lounge at the Intercontinental London sometimes and was no problem (although we werent allowed to sit at that side of the lounge while he held his meeting) he was very pleasant but looked more like a frog in real life

for Immaculate rooms and wonderful staff the Four Seasons is always a winner for me!
Old May 10, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by CanfordCliffs
for Immaculate rooms and wonderful staff the Four Seasons is always a winner for me!
FS Park Lane is the quintessential London hotel to me.
Old May 10, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I love the Goring and have stayed there many times. Even had a peek at the suite Kate Middleton had before she got married. Mr Goring (father) use to host an invitation only Sunday evening cocktails event which was quite a treat. I love having tea looking out over the garden and I liked the rooms pre renovation.

I think it combines quintessential London and luxury.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:38 pm

Dorchester

Anyone familiar with the junior suites? I notice on the website they mention the fact that they have been redone. The pictures look nice. I'm looking to spend a couple of nights at the end of a December trip. I like a bit of room with a nice bathroom. My budget is about 2k. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wjm457
Anyone familiar with the junior suites? I notice on the website they mention the fact that they have been redone. The pictures look nice. I'm looking to spend a couple of nights at the end of a December trip. I like a bit of room with a nice bathroom. My budget is about 2k. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
Which Dorchester? London?
Old May 24, 2015, 4:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by offerendum
Which Dorchester? London?
I take a "wild" guess, The Dorchester! ^
Old May 24, 2015, 5:53 am

Surely he's on about the fine establishment in South Beach, Miami - http://www.suitesofdorchester.com
Old May 24, 2015, 7:37 am

Thanks for your help. By the way, the next time someone asks a question about, say, Boston, make sure you ask them whether they mean the city or the band.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:02 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the avoidance of doubt, I am moving this thread to the main London (England) luxury hotels thread. It's a perfectly valid question. OK?

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old May 25, 2015, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wjm457
Thanks for your help. By the way, the next time someone asks a question about, say, Boston, make sure you ask them whether they mean the city or the band.
Funny....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.