Amandayan mini-review (Lijang, China)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amandayan mini-review (Lijang, China)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by halibahs
Thanks TheBrownPrince and Fliar for the review and pics!
We spent a few days at Amandayan in early April as well and also had a wonderful stay. Just to add a few of my own impressions:

- Trip from Lijiang airport was easy and arranged via Aman, about 30mins drive on an easy well paved highway. Similar to other Amans in China, the transfer is not complimentary and charged at about US$ 75 oneway.

- Totally agree with Fliar that the team at Dayan is very solid and doing a fantastic job during its soft opening. GM Nicolas and Erica were extremely kind and helpful during our stay, in a familiar "Aman" way. F&B went out of their way to deal with our off menu requests - a traditional Yunnan hot pot with all the trimmings was prepared in very short notice (which entails the chef going to a nearby village to get a huge stone pot).

- Despite the noise and bustle of Lijiang old town, Dayan is perched up on the adjacent Lion Hill and offers a serene and quiet environment. As previous posters mentioned, the boutique, gym and cinema are still work in progress. They are also planning on opening up a tea house (similar to Fayun) and part of the resort incorporates an ancient Taoist temple, which will be open to public.

- There are 5 courtyards in total and each have about 5-7 rooms. Deluxe and courtyard suites are identical in layout and decor, which are comfortable and authentic. Despite what the website advertises, most deluxe suites only have views of the resort rather than the old town. We stayed a Deluxe suite at Courtyard 3 which is near centre of complex, and didn't really experience any noise issue as mentioned by Fliar.

-They have found a good solution to "hide" the TV inside the room by installing it inside a moveable panel ^. I agree there isn’t much outdoor lounging space like other SE Asia Aman but we did manage to “open the space up” by leaving our doors open during daytime. However, this might not be a good solution during high occupancy period though as the rooms are arranged quite close together.

- The sight of terra cotta rooftop of Dayan old town from the resort is wonderful, though the old town itself is too gentrified and trodden by tourists. Walking around it once was enough for us. Aman arranged a guide for us and we find Baisha old town 10 minutes by car away a much more authentic experience.

- The tour prices of Aman are on the high side though the local guide provided was very good - perfect English, decent manner and not very pushy (even as a Chinese, I find mainland guides very hard sell and always trying to find ways to earn commission). We also visited the Jade Dragon Mountain which was quite magnificent and our guide organized VIP passes to help us cut the really really long queues.

Anyways, we found Dayan to be a wonderful property and would love to return in winter when everything is up and running. I’ll let the pictures do more of talking

Large pictures from original post deleted by RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Thank you for these pics giving a proper idea of how looks Amandayan. To my point of view, it is really in between ASP and Fayun. Having visited both of these Aman resorts in China. Can't wait to go and experience Dayan. For your point of view, is it not too anticipated to go? Is the garden is already nice and doesn't look too young? Is the team is already great? Looking at the pictures, I've the impression it's not yet very atmospheric and the lounge and lobby look empty... The last Aman I've been was Noi in Vietnam and it was quite different from all the other Aman resorts because there were quite a few pieces of furniture especially at the bar and restaurant... It explains why I find Dayan maybe a bit empty.
About Lijiang, what to expect? Is it a lovely little town?

Last edited by RichardInSF; May 22, 2015 at 1:56 pm
Old May 22, 2015, 9:30 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Those pics are absolutely stunning halibahs and give a great idea regarding the resort. Thanks also OP for the lovely review.

I agree with some of the others and the general consensus on the furniture/decor in some places - feels a bit out of place. Absolutely loved Amanfayun, but the TV in-room was very odd (glad they found a good way to hide it - but honestly, I can't think of when I'd need a TV! If I'm staying 14 nights at Amanpuri or Amanusa or something, sure...but at a place like Lijiang or Hangzhou where there is much to cover, and as I was only staying for 2-3 nights, I never touched the TV once).

I can't wait to go. Hope I can make some time...perhaps over one of the long weekends!
Old May 22, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by RodHK
For your point of view, is it not too anticipated to go? Is the garden is already nice and doesn't look too young? Is the team is already great? Looking at the pictures, I've the impression it's not yet very atmospheric and the lounge and lobby look empty... The last Aman I've been was Noi in Vietnam and it was quite different from all the other Aman resorts because there were quite a few pieces of furniture especially at the bar and restaurant... It explains why I find Dayan maybe a bit empty.
About Lijiang, what to expect? Is it a lovely little town?
I agree with you that the public spaces now do look a bit spartan but I think the team is working on furnishing them with chinese paintings and floral displays/plants (Fayun place comes to mind). The team there was wonderful and service was really attentive and caring! Rainy season coming to Lijiang now so me and my partner are planning to return this autumn/winter

Lijiang old town itself is not that special but the side streets are fun to wander in during early morning. Surrounding Shuhe and Baisha villages are much more authentic. I think the Aman team there are also scouting out nearby tribal villages for excursions.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:38 am

I agree with you that the public spaces now do look a bit spartan but I think the team is working on furnishing them with chinese paintings and floral displays/plants (Fayun place comes to mind). The team there was wonderful and service was really attentive and caring! Rainy season coming to Lijiang now so me and my partner are planning to return this autumn/winter

Lijiang old town itself is not that special but the side streets are fun to wander in during early morning. Surrounding Shuhe and Baisha villages are much more authentic. I think the Aman team there are also scouting out nearby tribal villages for excursions.
Many thanks for the tips... I'm really looking to visit Dayan and will wait next year I think...
Old May 22, 2015, 11:50 am

Perhaps some housekeeping is needed here ?
Moderator's call ?
Thks .
Old May 22, 2015, 2:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bearbrick
Perhaps some housekeeping is needed here ?
Moderator's call ?
Thks .
Just a reminder to everyone that mods may not see a request posted in thread. The best way to make a comment such as this is to click on the little red caution sign on the bottom left side of the relevant post and write your comment in the window that then pops up.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old May 22, 2015, 8:04 pm

Thumbs down

Many thanks for the tips... I'm really looking to visit Dayan and will wait next year I think...
RodHK, you keep trying to convince yourself about Amandayan by reading some of your posts

Last edited by summertime; May 22, 2015 at 8:09 pm
Old May 23, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: some
I agree with you that the public spaces now do look a bit spartan but I think the team is working on furnishing them with chinese paintings and floral displays/plants (Fayun place comes to mind).
I was told outdoor furniture and some of the indoor furniture and art pieces were delayed in shipping. They should arrive soon.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by summertime
RodHK, you keep trying to convince yourself about Amandayan by reading some of your posts
Not at all... I'm already convinced. I just needed to pick more informations about Dayan but it's surely a great place I'll visit next year.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
I should have loved to see these charming streets less packed but reality is clear that Lijiang is pretty polluted by massive tourism and I'm afraid it can affect the charms of Amandayan... A bit disappointed but maybe there is a time when it's more quiet...??
Just wanted to add my two cents. Stayed at the Banyan Tree when it opened about eight years ago and did not find LiJiang charming at all and I'm sure it has only gotten worse. Polluted and mass tourism is an accurate description. The Banyan Tree rooms were individual houses with a bedroom sitting area deck and hot tub pool. There was another Banyan property in Ring ha with very authentic Tibetan furnishings set down a valley in a long road from anywhere. That was a better experience and much more interesting and off the beaten path. The ride between the two properties was amazing with a stop at Tiger Leaping gorge
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:11 am

Checked into the Dayan last night. Looks like the Management has changed and Igor Barba from Aman sveti Stefan is running the place now. Nicholas is back in Jena.

Service is excellent. I'm coming in fresh from Amansara, and I'm feeling much more the genuine warmness and authentic familial service from the staff here than Sara. Though of course Amansara is wonderful, the environment here is so much more "Aman", especially the attention to detail.

Only thing I'd criticize is that the rooms weren't preheated prior to our arrival and Lijiang is freezing cold at nights.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Tenk

Service is excellent. I'm coming in fresh from Amansara, and I'm feeling much more the genuine warmness and authentic familial service from the staff here than Sara. Though of course Amansara is wonderful, the environment here is so much more "Aman", especially the attention to detail.

This really surprises me.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by scented
This really surprises me.
Could you clarify why? Everything so far has been top notch, as also mentioned by op.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tenk, was sally not there, traveling for another sales event?
maybe there have been some staff moves from sara (& others)

though physical "environment" at dayan will be different from sara

https://www.linkedin.com/in/igor-barba-81400419
barba also spent 5 months at dayan before it opened
hopefully successes encourage more internal promotions
internal GMs should be able to teach external hire managers

interesting >
http://www.webstruc.com/Images/MM/IS32.pdf
Proposed Aman Resort - Lijiang, China
Architect: Heah and Co.
Developer: Beijing Zhaode Property Co. Ltd
https://www.linkedin.com/in/cody-chai-b6840152
Operation Manager (Amandayan)
Beijing Zhaode Investment CO.,LTD
June 2015 – December 2015 Lijiang

DGM Assistant & Operation Manager (Amandayan)
恒大酒店集团 Hengda Hotels & Resorts
January 2016 – Present Lijiang

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 25, 2016 at 8:45 am
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Tenk
More Aman than Amansara? Is that possible? Or are you talking about the 'new' Aman as opposed to the old Amanresorts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.