Sri Lanka Trip

Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:40 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom
Original Poster

Sri Lanka Trip

Next March we're planning an 8ish day trip to Sri Lanka, and after reading the excellent TR by ABG, I could tell that many of you have been there so I figured I'd ask for any advice. It seems that most of you did the Tea Trails/Aman route, however, I'm unsure if that's what we'd like.

1. We'll be arriving from the Maldives, so no need to go to the beach and Amanwella doesn't particularly interest me.
2. We'll be with our young son who likes animals and we are hoping for something on the more exotic side.
3. I understand that several hotels are being built in Sri Lanka, so these could be a game changer. Does anyone know which ones will be finished within the next year.

Right now Hesitance Kandalama, Ullagalla, Clingendael, Tea Trails and Amangalla seem very interesting, though the drive seems daunting. Amanwella with a day trip to Yala could be interesting.

Exotic locale, wildlife and relative ease of logistics are my most important concerns. Nice places to stay would be excellent, but are of secondary importance.

So if anyone can offer their opinions/point me in the right direction. I'm really just beginning to think this through.

Last edited by DSI; Apr 30, 2015 at 6:47 pm
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:48 pm

http://www.jetwinghotels.com/ might be worth a look if you want nature. Though not in the same league(though some are SLH) they seem to have some interesting locations - e.g. Vil Uyana.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:36 pm

Sri Lanka

Heritance Kandalama would be great along with Helgas Folly (helgasfolly.com) so you can experience Kandy as it should be experienced. Along with Sigiriya should give you the exotic you are looking for.
If you don't mind moving around so much I would add Amangalla for two nights. Anything Bawa I am a big fan of and there is lots of his stuff in Sri Lanka
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:12 pm

I would love to get some info too.
It would be great to visit some amazing places, but if it requires
an 8 hour drive Indian style, we'll pass.

What are the best places with an easy access?
(sorry for side tracking your question a bit).
Old May 1, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: AS, UA, IHG, HH,
I would recommend Yala especially with the little guy, great park for seeing wildlife.
Old May 1, 2015, 5:26 am
DSI
Original Poster

I would love to get some info too.
It would be great to visit some amazing places, but if it requires
an 8 hour drive Indian style, we'll pass.

What are the best places with an easy access?
(sorry for side tracking your question a bit).

No worries--I actually meant to imply these questions when I was referring to ease of logistics.

Ideally I want to take at least one train ride, but 8 hour trips in a bone-jarring ride.. um no thanks. Realistically we'll probably end the trip with Amangalla, so that leaves us 2-3 places to stay, so it might end up being train to Tea Trails > X with some wildlife > Y wildlife place > Amangalla. Can anyone advise X and Y?

Helga's Folly looks cool!

Does the new Tea Trails location offer much wildlife? And it seems like Amanwalla has an excursion into Yala?

Does anyone know about the new properties being built in Sri Lanka? And are there any semi-luxury camps/safari outfitters?
Old May 1, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I believe that the Company behind Tea Trails and Cape Weligama is building a safari lodge in Yala. If I remember correctly, they are aiming for an opening at the end of the year.
http://www.ttgdigital.com/ttg-luxury...692128.article
Old May 2, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: some
Can't comment on the other hotels but I thought both Amangalle and Wella were fantastic. Never understood the complaints people had in the past about these properties. Both were fabulous.

Try to get villa 1 if you do stay at Amanwell.
Old May 2, 2015, 2:20 pm

my plan right now:

Amangalla -> new Yala camp -> Cape Weligama -> Tea Trails -> Kandy

the middle 3 being the same company would be some kind of package
with free transfer, so that possibly could be easier...

Sri Lanka looks amazing, such a nice combination of wildlife, temples
and nice green landscape/beaches.

I think I'm gonna try to do a 3 week trip. Any specific places not to be missed?

I'm a photographer and photography would be my priority.

Andrew
Old May 2, 2015, 3:59 pm

Don't know if you all saw my TR; it's a few years old, but hopefully it will be of some help.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...amangalla.html
Old May 4, 2015, 2:35 am
Suspended

It would be cheaper hotel . Please advise!
Old May 4, 2015, 12:47 pm
DSI
Original Poster

The new Yala camp certainly sounds interesting and I hope it is ready. In fact, we planned to go to the Seychelles with hopes of staying at the new Six Senses only to see that project get delayed. We hit Maalifushi (ditched the idea of Cheval Blanc) last year and Lanesborough this summer, so we're on a tear to beat the jet-setters to their playgrounds.

Anyone know of a new Maldives resort we can hit, so that we can be the first on this board to visit (yet provide no review for!)?
Old May 7, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation
The new Yala camp certainly sounds interesting and I hope it is ready. In fact, we planned to go to the Seychelles with hopes of staying at the new Six Senses only to see that project get delayed. We hit Maalifushi (ditched the idea of Cheval Blanc) last year and Lanesborough this summer, so we're on a tear to beat the jet-setters to their playgrounds.

Anyone know of a new Maldives resort we can hit, so that we can be the first on this board to visit (yet provide no review for!)?
How about Amilla Fushi in the Baa Atoll - Tom McLoughlin's new project? It's an interesting concept, for sure.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:23 am

Is anybody has been to Kahanda Kanda? If we trust the reports on TP or luxury travel agents, this property appears as to be one of the most stunning... Would love to know more about it.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by RodHK
Is anybody has been to Kahanda Kanda? If we trust the reports on TP or luxury travel agents, this property appears as to be one of the most stunning... Would love to know more about it.
Isn't it near Amangalla? Local owners, I believe, and beautifully done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.