Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendation for Family-Friendly Luxury Travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Recommendation for Family-Friendly Luxury Travel

I'm trying to plan a one to two week trip to surprise my wife for our 10th anniversary and so far am stumped as far as where to go. I'm hoping out of the collective experiences on here that you can help me.
In the past, our favorite experiences have been in New Zealand (Kauri Cliffs, Blanket Bay), Vancouver Island (Wickaninnish), Big Sur (post ranch), Bali (FS Sayan, Amankila). I am hoping to find something else along these lines where the resort is nice and in beautiful surroundings. The challenges are that we'll have a toddler with us (so a direct flight from NYC area would be a plus) and my wife will be 6-months pregnant (so we don't want to be too rugged or too far removed from hospitals).
So far we've thrown around the idea of Hawaii/Hualalai, Amangani, Ireland, Norway, Ireland, France, Twin Farms family week, California, and the Pacific Northwest US.
Any suggestions for family-friendly hotels that might fit what we're looking for would be much appreciated!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: Virtuoso
Congratulations on the soon to be new baby and your anniversary!

I didn't see when you wanted to go, but I would recommend staying stateside or not too far. I traveled at 28 weeks with my second and my oldest was 17 months, so I know what that feels like. Evening flying first class, it was a bit rough. The toughest part was getting the toddler over the jet lag.

I like Palmetto Bluffs or Seattle for your situation. I used to live in the Seattle area and it is very family friendly - you can do the Experience Music Project, Alki beach, Children's museum, Museum of Flight and many others. You could even score some major spouse points and take the toddler to a fun place and let the wife hang out at the spa! The FS Seattle has an amazing location and is really nice. The Hotel 1000 and Fairmont are both good too. I would pick the Hotel 1000 over the Fairmont though for you.

Palmetto Bluffs is a destination by itself with lots to do.

San Diego is another great family destination. If you pick it, I can send you a list of family activities I put together for a client recently with two young kids.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:02 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Twin Farms family week this summer is the last week of July. There is a fantastic hospital less than a half hour away called Dartmouth Hitchcock and many more of Boston's finest within a few hours. I'm sure you would have a great experience at Twin Farms because they do everything right.

For our next family trip (with a 4 year old) we will be going to the Four Seasons Costa Rica. It is very family friendly. They have nonstops from EWR, but I don't know anything about the healthcare down there.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:06 pm

I would also like to mention that changing time zones can really screw things up.. even the change from the east coast to the west coast can really be tough... how old is your toddler?

We just got back from Chicago which was really quite kid friendly. Great kids museum, great Science and Industry museum, great food. Rick Bayless's restaurant is surprisingly kid friendly.. We stayed at the PH, which was a value leader and had a nice pool (plus they kept bringing the kids cookies, which the parents may or may not have eaten all of...). The Waldorf looks great but I think the pool is quite small.

Another question is what time of year are we talking? I love Seattle in all seasons but the best time to visit is August.. it's also quite nice to go out to Whidbey or the San Juans as well.

Speaking of the San Juans, if you're looking for beachy destinations than Puerto Rico isn't a terrible option; with easy access to reasonable hospitals...

That all being said we just got back from our babymoon at 24 weeks (though we left the kids at home) and chose to go Amangiri which was quite an amazing experience. However, there was a recent post re: travel there with kids that wasn't as positive... We decided againist Twin Farms and Blackberry because we felt that those would have been better experiences for my wife in a non pregnant state....

Good luck and congrats on #2... we're expected the tres in about 6 wks...

FDW
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far, I'll look into these. For some more info--we are looking at traveling in June or July and our toddler is two.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
If you really want to leave the US, based on what you originally posted, I would suggest Scandinavia. I have been to Norway once and Sweden at least 5 times. My grandpa was an immigrant from Sweden and I have a lot of family there, so I visit every few years. I love, love Scandinavia and think it is a great place to go with family, especially in the summer.

Knowing you want to go in the summer, I would not go anywhere to warm as it will be harder on your wife. Dehydration is a big deal when pregnant, as I am sure you well know. I would also try to not go anywhere super crowded as trying to chase after a 2 year old when you are pregnant in a crowded city is not very fun.

I wholeheartedly second the San Juan islands in WA state. They are pretty amazing.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:38 pm

With a 6 month pregnant wife, staying in US soil might not be a bad strategy. From your list, you could go NY-> Four Season Seattle for 2-3 nights. Check out the city and adjust to the time zone. From there, straight to FS Hualalai for family friendly HI luxury. Early June would be ideal to beat the crowds before school gets out for the summer.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
We have travelled a bit with our son, and found that the toddler stage between 1.5 and 2.5 was the most difficult in terms of traveling - especially by plane. Your experience may vary, but a long trip at that age didn't really appeal to us. We went trans-pac when he was 4 months and 3.5, and both those were fine - but a short domestic leg at 1.5 was a nightmare....

That being said, we really liked Palmetto Bluff when we went as a couple last year, and we are bringing our son along this summer. Great property with a lot to do, really good food, and small enough to have personalized service. The golf carts would make it relatively easy to get around.

We also like Kiawah - and the Sanctuary is a nice resort. A lot bigger than Palmetto Bluff, but also a stunning location with a terrific beach and very family friendly.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:58 pm
Original Member

Hidden Pond in Maine:
http://www.hiddenpondmaine.com
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, RC Gold
Congrats!
I second The Sanctuary on Kiawah Island. Beautiful hotel with a great spa, huge kids' splash area, kids' club, golf--- all kinds of stuff. Great for families and great when you're pregnant and want to relax. We were in an oceanfront room- and I mean, oceanfront- there was nothing but a patch of sand and then the ocean. We would leave the balcony doors open at night and listen to the ocean.

And it's close to Charleston. If you've never been there, it's a beautiful city to see- very walkable, great dining, romantic...
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

For Kiawah-- do you think it would be comfortable weather-wise to be there in July or is it quite hot/humid?

For the San Juan islands--does anyone have any suggestions on hotels/inns?

thanks again for all of the suggestions!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by JRT427
For Kiawah-- do you think it would be comfortable weather-wise to be there in July or is it quite hot/humid?

Kiawah/all of Charleston gets hot and humid during June/July.... But for some reason every memory I have of Kiawah involves a fairly comforting breeze.... Definitely lots for the kid to do there- Pool, beach rinse and repeat... Unfortunately I think their Kamp Kiawah program requires a minimum age of 3 yrs old... But there is also a great spa there and wonderful golfing for the adults; if you can sneak away... if you're comfortable with it I'm sure that they can arrange babysitting services...

Nothing on the San Juans really qualifies as luxury. I found Friday Harbor House to be comfortable and the Inn at Langley on Whidbey to be nice as well (we got engaged there). Willows Inn on Lummi gets good press for their dining experience. In retrospect while I love the San Juans, there really isn't a whole town for kids to do there... it's quite sleepy to be honest... but it is beautiful and quiet....

FDW
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JRT427

We got to Kiawah every summer, and have been there in June, July and August....And yes, it's relatively "hot and humid", but there is also a nice breeze and it doesn't feel too bad. Highs in the mid to upper 80s, is my sense. But our experience has been that it's not oppressively hot, and we go bike riding in the mornings, etc.

Now Charleston, on the other hand, is IMO oppressively hot and humid that time of year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.