Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

RC Chicago to become ... a Ritz-Carlton

Old Apr 24, 2015, 4:21 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders

just released...

Four Seasons to Cease Management of The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel)

On July 31, 2015, Four Seasons will be concluding its management of The Ritz-Carlton Chicago (A Four Seasons Hotel). Effective August 1, 2015, the Hotel will become a full participant in the Ritz-Carlton system. This means that the Hotel will no longer be a Ritz-Carlton in name only, but it will be a part of the Ritz-Carlton family of hotels.

As you may know, Four Seasons is a management company that operates the Hotel on behalf of the Hotels owner, an affiliate of JMB Realty Corporation (JMB). JMB also owns Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, and this management transition does not affect that hotel. Four Seasons and JMB will continue to work together for years to come to provide Four Seasons legendary service at its namesake hotel in the city, Four Seasons Hotel Chicago.

We greatly value our relationship with you and apologize for any inconvenience that this transition may cause you or your clients. We look forward to welcoming you to Four Seasons Hotel Chicago or one of the other more than 90 properties Four Seasons manages around the world in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact your Four Seasons Account Director if you have any questions.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wow, FS loses yet another hotel. But this sort of makes sense. All the old clientele were dying off and the rooms and especially bathrooms need a refurb. It was a great hotel in its day.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:00 am

In terms of marketing, it is certainly logical that the hotel be managed by Ritz-Carlton and listed on the R-C website.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
Wow, FS loses yet another hotel. But this sort of makes sense. All the old clientele were dying off and the rooms and especially bathrooms need a refurb. It was a great hotel in its day.
Didn't realize FS was losing that many hotels...and it seems, lately at least, they're picking up a fair number. (I'm not as in-tune w/ FS as others on this forum..)

I'd agree that this move makes sense, and the whole "RC managed by FS" thing was confusing to many.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Didn't realize FS was losing that many hotels...and it seems, lately at least, they're picking up a fair number. (I'm not as in-tune w/ FS as others on this forum..)
Just from following this forum they've recently lost...

Dublin
Provence
Bangkok
Carmelo
RC Chicago

And I think a few others that I can't recall now. And yes they've added elsewhere but I've seen posts in the past from FS fans that hotels never leave the chain. But it clearly happens.

I'd agree that this move makes sense, and the whole "RC managed by FS" thing was confusing to many.
I don't think it was confusing to the majority of people because it has been this way for so many years. It's very well known in the Chicago hotel scene. And of course the hotel was never bookable in the RC or Marriott systems.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:14 pm

FS has released a few hotels strategically but have also announced numerous new domestic hotels like Miami Beach, Ft Lauderdale, New Orleans, and also second hotels in Boston and New York.

While Provence was mentioned in the post above that hotel has been gone for a number of years and was just replaced with the much grander hotel The Grand-Hotel du Cap-Ferrat.

I've always stayed at the Four Seasons Chicago because I felt the rooms and atrium lobby of the RC Chicago was very Hyattish.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

portfolio changes may eventually be about: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...r-seasons.html

Originally Posted by newyork1
While Provence was mentioned in the post above that hotel has been gone for a number of years
2 years 7 months ago:
Originally Posted by DavidO
Effective October 1, 2012
5 months after that FS CEO was replaced

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 25, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:14 pm
Suspended

FS has released a few hotels strategically but have also announced numerous new domestic hotels like Miami Beach, Ft Lauderdale, New Orleans, and also second hotels in Boston and New York.

While Provence was mentioned in the post above that hotel has been gone for a number of years and was just replaced with the much grander hotel The Grand-Hotel du Cap-Ferrat.

I've always stayed at the Four Seasons Chicago because I felt the rooms and atrium lobby of the RC Chicago was very Hyattish.
Good point. And welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Wasn't there something about FS managing this hotel in Chicago that kept RC from developing any other properties in Chicago? It has been several years since we have been to this hotel. It will be interesting to what this leads to.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m.photog
Wasn't there something about FS managing this hotel in Chicago that kept RC from developing any other properties in Chicago? It has been several years since we have been to this hotel. It will be interesting to what this leads to.
Yeah I vaguely recall some contractual issue around that. Maybe this will open the door to an all new RC in Chicago and then they can do a full renovation of this hotel.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:44 am

Yeah I vaguely recall some contractual issue around that. Maybe this will open the door to an all new RC in Chicago and then they can do a full renovation of this hotel.
One can only hope. This place lags behind the major contenders in the city. Embarrassing, really.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott

I guess I am not a true luxury hotel connoisseur as I have enjoyed many stays at Hyatts.
Old May 1, 2015, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by m.photog
This is true. The Ritz-Carlton in Chicago had that name before the modern, R-C chain even started in the 80s. They didn't give up the name. And part of the licencing arrangement stated that the R-C hotel co. could not operate any other hotels in the metro. Residences are fine, but not hotels.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Will close in August 2015 for reno

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ive-renovation

A two-year renovation of the luxury hotel, which opened in 1975, is set to begin in August when the hotel becomes part of the Ritz-Carlton chain, according to the Chevy Chase, Md.-based Ritz-Carlton Hotel Co. Despite its name, the hotel currently is part of the Four Seasons chain.

The renovation on the hotel's public spaces and 429 guest rooms will be “extensive,” said Allison Sitch, a spokeswoman for the Ritz-Carlton chain. Details of the renovation have not been finalized.

The Ritz, 160 E. Pearson St., has been operating under the Ritz-Carlton name under a license agreement signed with a predecessor of the Ritz-Carlton chain and was excluded from the chain's reservation systems. After the integration occurs in August, guests will be able to make reservations on Ritz-Carlton's website and participate in the chain's loyalty programs.

“It will be a partner hotel; we will not be managing it,” Sitch said. “We provide the brand standards under which it is to operate.”

Chicago-based JMB Realty will maintain ownership of the hotel, which is managed by Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts. Denver-based Sage Hospitality is set to take over management in August, Sitch said.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Just from following this forum they've recently lost...

Dublin
Provence
Bangkok
Carmelo
RC Chicago
Aviara lost to Hyatt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.