The Siam Hotel, Bangkok

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Siam Hotel, Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
My post/images weren't in response to your post.
Great for the siam to have an attorney as hotel guest... lol... I admit rates have changed since my first visit. At that time, the siam was pretty optimistic thinking they wouldn't have to make any deal or discount but reality is different... that's true we can now find pretty affordable rates at the siam and I'm even thinking to give an other try to the hotel cause I know the potential of this property and the very different product offered in comparaison with other luxury hotels in town.
However I'll wait until a new GM will take care of this place to make sure to be treated as a VIP just like at MO bangkok for example where every single guest is treated as VIP (first time guest or 20 years repeater guest; personality or unknown person...).
Also, if prices are similar between MO and the siam, for a room 3 times smaller at MO, it's on a way understandable because it is like comparing an hotel in HK located in central or Admiralty and an other one located in the new territories... more an hotel is less well located and more the room size will be bigger and the siam is really not wonderfully located...
I'm also pretty sure the standard of service is much higher at MO (I'm a big fan of MO that's true) than The siam but again, I guess things have changed since my visit and staff does not forget jams for breakfast...
Old May 17, 2015, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RodHK
However I'll wait until a new GM will take care of this place to make sure to be treated as a VIP just like at MO bangkok for example where every single guest is treated as VIP (first time guest or 20 years repeater guest; personality or unknown person...)
I don't know about that with every single guest and stay...
Old May 17, 2015, 6:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
I don't know about that with every single guest and stay...
My thoughts as well. Sheesh, poor GM!!
Old May 18, 2015, 6:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

FYI: not sure if it's been posted yet, but the Sukosol hotel group is opening another Siam (name is different, digging it up now) closer to things...
Old May 24, 2015, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No GM around but the property is shining on this Sunday afternoon!
Old May 26, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
We went to the Siam for a few days January of 2014. We have stayed in BKK numerous times and our first choice is usually the Mandarin Oriental in a state suite or authors suite facing the river.
We had a riverview suite at the Siam. They actually offered us a Riverview Spa suite house accommodation with plunge pool kind of, as an upgrade and we turned it down., we prefer the view in BKK. We had wonderful service, met all the mgmt, enjoyed the lovely spa, and loved the meals. Everything was perfect except the location. We love trying different restaurants in BKK and although the traffic is bad everywhere we found it outrageously bad from the Siam. The boat trip was nice, but after a day or so you just wanted to taxi. I think it's great for a couple of days if you have been to Bangkok before and just want to chill. But if you want to see sites, visit colleagues or friends, work, or do different dining venues I would say not the best location. We will go back under the right circumstance, but I will in most cases favor the MO.
Old May 31, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
After reading some of the great reviews here and in the blog scene, we just booked a two night stay this July (at the end of our Bangkok stay) in Connie’s Cottage at a great rate. Really looking forward to end of July now
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by SASDC8
After reading some of the great reviews here and in the blog scene, we just booked a two night stay this July (at the end of our Bangkok stay) in Connie’s Cottage at a great rate. Really looking forward to end of July now
Do be aware that Connie's Cottage is one of the Jim Thompson original wooden houses, so quite different from the other accommodation at The Siam. It is VERY traditional and historic, which translates as small and pokey. If I were you, I would try to change this, unless history is more important to you than space and comfort.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Do be aware that Connie's Cottage is one of the Jim Thompson original wooden houses, so quite different from the other accommodation at The Siam. It is VERY traditional and historic, which translates as small and pokey. If I were you, I would try to change this, unless history is more important to you than space and comfort.
Don't take the phrasing of this the wrong way [I somewhat agree with your logic] - but have you been in Connie's? Seen a million and one pics but it was full when I was there, so never got to poke my head inside.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I`m actually quite looking forward to it, as I have stayed in traditional Thai houses out in the bush before, but my GF have not. So I figured this would be an easy way for her to experience something really traditional Thai, without the drama that the bush would include

If it`s not what we like I`m pretty sure we would be able to change rooms whilst there. Found this nice video about The Siam and at 03:30 you could see Connie`s:

Cheers
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by SASDC8
I`m actually quite looking forward to it, as I have stayed in traditional Thai houses out in the bush before, but my GF have not. So I figured this would be an easy way for her to experience something really traditional Thai, without the drama that the bush would include

If it`s not what we like I`m pretty sure we would be able to change rooms whilst there. Found this nice video about The Siam and at 03:30 you could see Connie`s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayr1eF_sqs4

Cheers
That's a great video and actually i'm sure The Siam is now a beautiful hotel with a great service. I just don't like the location which is truly in the middle of nowhere and not even with a nice view... Moreover, I still can't forget the arrogance of the GM and it had ruined my stay. I would love to give an other chance to The Siam to seduce me because I like "different" hotels and this one is clearly different. Can't wait to have a full report about Connie's cottage which looks stunning even if the sense of space is less amazing than in the other villas...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Don't take the phrasing of this the wrong way [I somewhat agree with your logic] - but have you been in Connie's? Seen a million and one pics but it was full when I was there, so never got to poke my head inside.
Yes, I have been in Connie's and it was very small and dark. I have also stayed in a pool villa (which I didn't like due to all the steps and the way the space is broken up) and latterly have stayed in a Riverview Suite, which I loved.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tepid service recovery from this hotel. I guess I should be grateful His Grace took the time out of his busy schedule to respond - 5 days later.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
Tepid service recovery from this hotel. I guess I should be grateful His Grace took the time out of his busy schedule to respond - 5 days later.
They ended up forgetting us on the Pier. Apparently, their luxury hotel shuttleboat was doing a private event and no one bothered to inform the spa.
communication / procedure issue - kind of bizarre if boat was scheduled/reserved to pick up

but they do private events on their (only) boat? what? thats problematic. especially if they allow nonguests to do it. although i guess it depends on details such as how long and when. Aventine, you were not hotel guests right? so also dont know how they handled hotel guests transportation.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 3, 2015 at 10:56 am
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:59 pm

From Jason GM of The Siam

Hello,

My name is Jason Friedman, I am the GM of The Siam Hotel. Today, a friend referred me to the Flyertalk, honestly its a forum I have seen a couple of times but have never been a part of. I have spent the better part of the last hour reading and rereading this thread and am humbled by the passion for which people have for travel, The Siam and for me as a GM. Thank you to everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts and feelings, there is great content here that I have taken to heart.

You might be asking yourself why I finally have registered and joined the discussion. I joined because of the way RodHK feels about me, feeling such strong dislike for me that he will not return to The Siam until I am gone. I do not know what I could of done to make RodHK feel so strongly towards me. The way RodHK describes me is not who I am, not even on my worst days, its just not my character. Unfortunately, whatever I did do has made RodHK feel I am just not up to the task and this I must accept and handle. I plan to be here at The Siam for a long long time, so I might suggest that RodHk gives me and The Siam another chance to see who I really am and and what The Siam is capable of.

I am truly humbled by all of the kind words of support from all of you, thank you.

-Jason

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.