Mediocre crowds at luxury hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mediocre crowds at luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
For example I doubt a stay would be much enjoyable if many groups like skittles clubs stay their. Their is a reason some hotels guarantee that they donīt take groups..... Of course, their are always excemptions...
What is a skittles club? I have looked it up but am still confused.

Fortunately, at least in most locations, it is possible to choose hotels that attract a pleasant and innocuous crowd.

I like diversity, so Juicy Couture jumpers at breakfast and other interesting choices are welcome as long as they do not violate reasonable dress codes.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
deleted
I was actually going to give you a +1 for that comment before it was deleted...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I was actually going to give you a +1 for that comment before it was deleted...
Thank you. I just removed because it was off topic and did not want to further discussion. But, I will reiterate that I do not consider Ingvar Kamprad to be a likeable person or a positive role model.

His company IKEA has had an awful impact on human rights and on the environment. He has brought us really bad furniture and household goods that are cheap and disposable at the expense of the environment and the workers who poduce them.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 21, 2015 at 2:18 am
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
The guy that owns Ikea drives an old car and I assume probably stays in reasonably priced hotels. How many other well off people are like him?
In Europe, many people fall for this type of twisted romanticism. To me it's an insult to sit on that much money, rather than spend it and boost the economy. What does it do for people if he's living admittedly rather modest? This seems like a small detail designed to make him look good for many people and says nothing about what he invests in, the ethics of his company, the charities he supports (I'm sure he does). Is it admirable he chooses not to stay in luxury hotels?

Last edited by scented; Apr 21, 2015 at 2:31 am
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by scented
In Europe, many people fall for this type of twisted romanticism. To me it's an insult to sit on that much money, rather than spend it and boost the economy. What does it do for people if he's living admittedly rather modest?
He also to my knowledge gives virtually nothing (relative to his wealth) to charity.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:36 am

He also to my knowledge gives virtually nothing (relative to his wealth) to charity.
Didn't know that...
I'd prefer a Richard Branson-type of person over that chap any day. Even though he has his own private island, a growing hotel empire, and presumably many other worldly luxuries, he's a great guy (plus he knows how to market himself).
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Or indeed, in tax. I'm still not sure how IKEA manages to get away with the "Trust" fudge.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Or indeed, in tax. I'm still not sure how IKEA manages to get away with the "Trust" fudge.
I'm sure Richard Branson also gets tax advantages from living on a Caribbean island!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
I'm sure Richard Branson also gets tax advantages from living on a Caribbean island!
He does, though that's personal rather than corporation tax.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:01 am

He would be a fool not to. At least he has brought us Necker Island and Virgin Atlantic, etc...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I don't care about "the crowd" at hotels unless and until there is some sort of group collectively engaged in (or attracting) behavior that I find disruptive to my ability to enjoy my stay or otherwise have the stay support the purpose of my visit. Then I have to consider that maybe it's the hotel management that is mediocre rather than "the crowd" and that I may have failed to pick the proper place at the proper time.

Going to luxury hotels to meet fellow guests who are hitherto strangers? Not part of my plan, but I know there are some people who do just that.

I don't care whether or not the "crowd" is "mediocre", but I don't fancy disruptive, rude and/or arrogant behavior regardless of "the crowd" at the hotels where I stay. And to that point, as even top-line luxury hotels with a "respectable crowd" may disrupt my stays, I try to avoid having my leisure stays aligning with stays by dignitaries with large security details who "take over the place".
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't care about "the crowd" at hotels unless and until there is some sort of group collectively engaged in (or attracting) behavior that I find disruptive to my ability to enjoy my stay or otherwise have the stay support the purpose of my visit.
Don't believe you! Are you seriously saying that you see no difference between sitting on a beach with slim, rich, expensively bejewelled, clearly very wealthy young women (and men) walking past compared to sitting on a beach with overweight, tattooed and generally dowdy fellow guests?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:00 am
Suspended

Don't believe you! Are you seriously saying that you see no difference between sitting on a beach with slim, rich, expensively bejewelled, clearly very wealthy young women (and men) walking past compared to sitting on a beach with overweight, tattooed and generally dowdy fellow guests?
I'm an American, and going to the beach or pool along with a large proportion of people with obesity is just par for the course -- as it increasingly is becoming been where the Latin, European, Asian and African "jet set" "crowd" are concerned too. And the other differences are also declining as global convergence grows along with waistlines, tattoos and such.

While I see apparent differences, the apparent differences don't concern me -- at least not in any way that bothers me during my stays. What bothers me is rude, disruptive and arrogant behaviors that intrude upon my use of hotel facilities as and when I would like to use them.

If I want to see "the pretty people" "crowd", I'm spoiled to the point of being inured to it. I'd rather have a conversation with say the famously portly (now sickly) Helmut Kohl or the ghastly Anthony Weiner at the beach than a view of the latest photogenic celebrities.

Obesity and "the tramp stamp" is not a stranger to Aman properties. Democratization in action.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 21, 2015 at 4:16 am
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
What is a skittles club? I have looked it up but am still confused.
In Germany we call it "Kegelclub". Not the same but itīs something like a Bowling Club. Normally the tours include a lot of alcohol.....
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by offerendum
In Germany we call it "Kegelclub". Not the same but itīs something like a Bowling Club. Normally the tours include a lot of alcohol.....
That isn't a club that engages in Kegel exercises, or is it?

Oh wait, a "bowling club" for some of us English speakers? Aren't there some luxury hotels with bowling facilities still?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.