Tehran

Old May 28, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by nnn
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pausanias

In Tehran I think it's the Amanadinejad.

Good one.
What he said

Shahabbas in Isfahan is nice, at least the grounds are nice. The rooms were okay.

Last edited by RichardInSF; May 28, 2015 at 8:18 pm Reason: consecutive posts by same poster
Old May 29, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
I can think of a couple of reasons "hardly no one on FT has been in Teheran".
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:43 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Interesting article today discussing the entrance of American hotel chains should sanctions on Iran be lifted:

But other industries are also eyeing major business including hotels and aviation in a country that in desperate need of overhauling almost every industry. More than one U.S. hotel chain has visited Tehran during the past few months, and found a wide-open market with huge pent-up demand. There is not a single hotel of international standing in all of Iran, for example, since major chains like Marriott and Hilton have been shut out since the 1970s. We have not had any internationally-managed hotels for four decades, says Rabii, who has met with U.S. hotel chains, but would not name them. We will have a flood of tourists and business people coming to Iran. We can fill hotels for years, or decades.
http://time.com/3958946/us-international-business-iran/
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Tehran and Havana. The hot spots of tourism!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stimpy
Tehran and Havana. The hot spots of tourism!
Next up Pyeongyang?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I think we must be careful! For me Iran is still a very interesting Country, but I woudnt visit. The regime didnt really change.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
I think we must be careful! For me Iran is still a very interesting Country, but I woudnt visit. The regime didnt really change.
I think the regime is much more interested in global politics than bothering with tourists. They would love more tourist income and I agree that once the sanctions are lifted we'll see a lot of tourism open up. I've had friends from the Gulf tell me that Iran is great during ski season. And I've had French and German colleagues who used to travel there regularly on business before those countries adopted the sanctions.

The other interesting thing is that with the Internet and social media, the young people of Iran are showing that they are like the young people everywhere else.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 3:45 am
Suspended

This thread is a good showcase for my studies.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
I can think of a couple of reasons "hardly no one on FT has been in Teheran".
I know at least a couple dozen FTers have been to THR. And the number of Americans overall who have flown to THR seems to have been rising, if counting -- ironically in a way -- upon Pakistani officials' representations.

I expect Iran and Cuba are a sort of hot spot for tourism, and definitely not in a North Korean way.

From my family and friends who have visited Iran, they enjoyed their trips. I'm thinking of doing a ski trip to Iran at some point, which will add to the number of countries in which I've hit the ski slopes.

I see charter tour packages being sold to Iran and Cuba in widely circulated package tour guide brochures by private European operators. I don't see that happening for North Korea. Each and every year for the better part of the past several years, I've seen ski package tours to Iran being offered in European charter tour package brochures. Some must be buying them and some must be making money selling them if they keep advertising them like they do.

And the word is that alcohol and other drugs are not absent from the Iranian slopes, so that paints some kind of apres-ski picture (unlawful as I assume such consumption in the main to be there).

I'm curious to see how long it will be until Marriott or a Marriott-affiliated third party signs up for a hotel on the ground in THR.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 16, 2015 at 5:33 am
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:04 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I think the regime is much more interested in global politics than bothering with tourists. They would love more tourist income and I agree that once the sanctions are lifted we'll see a lot of tourism open up. I've had friends from the Gulf tell me that Iran is great during ski season. And I've had French and German colleagues who used to travel there regularly on business before those countries adopted the sanctions.

The other interesting thing is that with the Internet and social media, the young people of Iran are showing that they are like the young people everywhere else.
I thought the recent Anthony Bourdain show in Iran was well done, and provided a nice glimpse into what being a tourist in Iran would be like.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'm curious to see how long it will be until Marriott or a Marriott-affiliated third party signs up for a hotel on the ground in THR.
It may be a while before you see a Marriott or any other U.S. chain in THR. While not widely reported in the mainstream media, general sanctions on most U.S. persons would remain in place even if this deal goes through. There are exceptions, such as for commercial aircraft (e.g., Boeing). See, e.g.:

But the strict, decades-old U.S. restrictions on doing business with Tehran, which predate the nuclear crisis and relate to other concerns such as terrorism support and human rights abuses, will remain in place.

"U.S. persons and banks will still be generally prohibited from all dealings with Iranian companies, including investing in Iran, facilitating cleared country trade with Iran," a senior U.S. administration official said at a briefing on Tuesday.

The deal hammered out in Vienna does open some avenues for U.S. companies to expand in Iran. U.S. firms will now be allowed to sell or lease commercial passenger aircraft to Iran, as long as they procure licenses from the U.S. government, giving companies such as Boeing an opportunity.

The deal also allows the U.S. government to license foreign subsidiaries of U.S. companies to operate in Iran, which was banned by Congress in 2012.
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-bu...ar-deal-2015-7
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

US Persons and Banks does not equal US corporations. And the two largest hotel chains in the world are Accor and IHG, based in Paris and London.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the two largest hotel chains in the world are Accor and IHG, based in Paris and London.
hilton and marriott are larger than accor (unless youre talking about financials?)
(accor owns 39% of their hotels, so presumbly financial comparison reflects that)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post22529911

I think the lists there are not correct. I'll post over in that thread.
accor having 124 more hotels doesnt impact comparison

regardless, those two non-US are clearly massive, plus accor hotel ownership

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 16, 2015 at 4:24 pm
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hilton and marriott are larger than accor (unless youre talking financials?)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...l#post22529911
I think the lists there are not correct. I'll post over in that thread.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:24 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's get back to Tehran!

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Let's get back to Tehran!

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Absolutely right. The same applies to Havana. In a few years' time Holiday Inn will be there and it won't be the same. Will there even be an Aman at Persepolis?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.