Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Virtuoso vs. Classictravel

Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I wonder if theres any benefit/advantage of booking via a TA vs just using classictravel, if you know which hotel you want to go to?
Experiences welcome..

Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What is classictravel?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: Virtuoso
I haven't heard of them before, but they are a Virtuoso travel advisor (from looking at their site), and have developed an online booking engine it seems.

For what it is worth, Virtuoso is working on doing just this for all agencies/advisors - a way for clients to book hotel stays online and the advisor still manage them, ideal for the straightforward bookings. It would allow the advisor to still put personal touches on the stay.

Anyways, so back to your question. Having no knowledge of how classictravel works (I am hoping others chime in, I am very curious) I can only offer the traditional TA point of view - we would customize your stay, based on your preferences and help with any other information about the area you need.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:12 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Travel K
For what it is worth, Virtuoso is working on doing just this for all agencies/advisors - a way for clients to book hotel stays online and the advisor still manage them, ideal for the straightforward bookings. It would allow the advisor to still put personal touches on the stay.
This is very, very welcome news to me. Have been hoping for this for a while.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by LM225
I know a lot of clients will be happy about it. It does make a lot of sense, that is for sure! I do not know the projected roll out date. I am sure in August at Travel Week we will learn a lot more about it.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LM225
+1
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

It would allow the advisor to still put personal touches on the stay.
Well that would be really nice.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:19 pm

Virtuoso?

I will be booking a couple of rooms for a week at the Four Seasons Whistler for late summer. I always do my own arrangements, but this looks like I should search out a Virtuoso agent?

Is there an advantage/disadvantage for using a Virtuoso agent???

Do they offer the same rates I see on the FS site??

How do I go about finding one?

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I used Classic Travel for a quickie weekend in Paris last summer. It was actually somewhat confusing on the booking page as to which room I was reserving, and I called them directly. They were very efficient- walked me through the online booking and then followed up with an email pre-trip to ask if we needed anything additional. It was straightforward and professional, and our room was what we booked. We did not receive an upgrade, but did receive the Virtuoso perks.

I've made several Virtuoso bookings over the past few years with a dedicated TA. She's fantastic...usually receive a warm welcome upon arrival, decent rate of upgraded rooms, etc. There's certainly something to be said for choosing a dedicated TA over Classictravel, but I have no qualms going back to CT if I were traveling somewhere quick and didn't care as much about the personalized service on both ends.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by stan1162
I will be booking a couple of rooms for a week at the Four Seasons Whistler for late summer. I always do my own arrangements, but this looks like I should search out a Virtuoso agent?

Is there an advantage/disadvantage for using a Virtuoso agent???

Do they offer the same rates I see on the FS site??

How do I go about finding one?

Thanks!
I would go with a FSPP over a virtuoso booking. Fspp gets you included full breakfast for 2, upgrade on arrival if available, and some sort of spa or property credit. No real disadvantages; FSPP are apparently combinable on all (or almost all) rates available via FS.com. If you're the type that books highly discounted prepaid rates than this may not be for you (though there are very few FS that offer those type of rates). Fdw
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:51 pm

FS Whistler

The Virtuoso benefits are the same as the FSPP ones for FS Whistler. They are listed here:

http://www.virtuoso.com/hotels/61637...esort-whistler

The amenities are breakfast for 2 in room guests and a $100 food and beverage credit (FSPP might do spa instead of F&B, I didn't check, but the amount is the same). Upgrades are subject to availability upon check in. Also, we put a gift in room for the guests, but that is never listed on the website.

The rate you see online should be the same rate a Virtuoso gets.

You can pick one of us to work with here on Flyertalk or go to www.virtuoso.com and be assigned one.

Last edited by Travel K; Mar 30, 2015 at 6:17 pm
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:59 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

The Virtuoso benefits are the same as the FSPP ones for FS Whistler. They are listed here:

http://www.virtuoso.com/hotels/61637...esort-whistler

The amenities are breakfast for 2 in room guests and a $100 food and beverage credit (FSPP might do spa instead of F&B, I didn't check, but the amount is the same). Upgrades are subject to availability upon check in. Also, we put a gift in room for the guests, but that is never listed on the website.

The rate you see online should be the same rate a Virtuoso gets.

You can pick one of us to work with here on Flyertalk or go to www.virtuoso.com and be assigned one.

Just curious is it possible to be a Virtuoso agent but not a FSPP?

Are Virtuoso amenities combinable with the promotions like 3/4th night free or the Experience More credit? In my experience FSPP is combinable...

FDW
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

Are Virtuoso amenities combinable with the promotions like 3/4th night free or the Experience More credit? In my experience FSPP is combinable...

FDW
Yes, I am one.

Yes, typically. I know for sure on the free 3/4th night that is combinable with the amenities. The Experience More should be, but I haven't personally come across that one yet to say definitely. In general, whatever FSPP can get, I can too through Virtuoso, assuming the property is a Virtuoso property. The same statement applies for Amex FHR benefits, etc.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

FDW
I'd go so far as to say MOST Virtuoso agents aren't FSPP.

Amenities are usually combineable with free nights and other sort of credits.

That said, it's either Virtuoso amenities OR FSPP amenities.

PenClub (and a few others) is where you can combine amenities. ^
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:34 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The crux of OPs request is do you want to deal with a website or with a human?
Humans win every time for me, but then again I understand the nature of most FT'er are to "feel" in control and preferring the anonymity that the internet offers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.