Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Leaders Club Redemption Disappointment - has anyone else experienced this problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaders Club Redemption Disappointment - has anyone else experienced this problem

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OliverB
Well we like to time travel as much as journey to new destinations and we always prefer to stay at grand dames and storied hotels that breathe history and exude a sense of time and place, and the Sacher Wien seemed to offer the highest level of quality within that structure. I'm not a big fan of contrasting design elements, so I don't really go for contemporary furnishings at historic properties as I feel that it detracts from the sense of historic grandeur and opulence. The only exception would be if and when a property naturally reflects it's environs; ie. when traveling to cities like Tokyo or Berlin (etc.) which themselves are contrasts of tradition and growth, history and modernity, etc. We'll almost always opt for the property that feels most period authentic as they are becoming an ever-growing rarity as our culture moves further towards the current and latest and often views the past as expendable. I suppose I'm as much an enthusiast of history as I am travel. I chose the Sacher Wien primarily based on the location and building itself. The Deluxe Jr. Suites look elegant and well appointed and our Virtuoso agent has put in a request for a room with a balcony/terrace overlooking the Opera House, which was another strong selling point.

Why wouldn't it be your first choice for Vienna?
When I walked past the Sacher last summer, the lobby looked almost like a dump. I also had the impression that it was filled with people who looked like they were a tour group. Tons ot tourists flock to the place bacause of the famous Sacher Torte. It is a historic property in a good location and maybe their suites are nice.......

However, my choices for what you want would be the Imperial (which has just been renovated), the Bristol (same style but slightly lower tier, and also recently renovated), and the Park Hyatt (new hotel in an old building on a beautiful square--I don't know whether the rooms are classical or contemporary). I'm not putting LeMeridien on the list because it's a very modern hotel in an old building. BTW, Imperial, Bristol, and LM are all Starwood.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Trogger
Did you check out the historical suites( Gutmann, Behren etc. ) at hotel de Rome?
(Never stayed in one, they dont puplish rates online, but these sound like they would fit what you are looking for.You probably need to contact them directly)

Location wise I would say the Adlon is as good as it gets for a 2-4 night stay. I can imagine that for some people staying for two weeks at the "Pariser Platz" it gets too "touristy" and they would prefer not to be directly at the most touristy place in Berlin for such a long time....
Did you consider splitting your stay into fe 7 nights Adlon / 7 nights hotel de rome?
Thanks and that's exactly the sense that I got from the location as well... splitting up the stay is not a bad idea at all but I would probably divide the two weeks between HdR and Das Stue (in a suite overlooking the zoo) if we were going to do that. Another property that I've considered is the Brandenburger Hof Berlin which is a small but very well appointed boutique hotel in a historic building alongside a quiet tree-lined residential street. I admittedly know very little about the property and I'm not certain it's on the same level as the HdR of Das Stue... tough decision!

We're definitely going to spend one single night in the Bahaus Dessau Prellerhaus Studio Building in a reconstructed studio flat or maybe Josef Albers old apartment, though that has NOTHING to do with this forum!
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I walked past the Sacher last summer, the lobby looked almost like a dump. I also had the impression that it was filled with people who looked like they were a tour group. Tons ot tourists flock to the place bacause of the famous Sacher Torte. It is a historic property in a good location and maybe their suites are nice.......

However, my choices for what you want would be the Imperial (which has just been renovated), the Bristol (same style but slightly lower tier, and also recently renovated), and the Park Hyatt (new hotel in an old building on a beautiful square--I don't know whether the rooms are classical or contemporary). I'm not putting LeMeridien on the list because it's a very modern hotel in an old building. BTW, Imperial, Bristol, and LM are all Starwood.
Yikes! Thank goodness for this forum!!!

Could you please elaborate on why it was such a dump? Was it undergoing renovations or something?

I would say that my primary incentive for booking at the Sacher Wien would be these suites with private terraces with views over the Opera House:
http://www.sacher.com/hotel-sacher-v...bedroom-suite/

Please tell me more about why it was so shabby... I would certainly MUCH prefer to be earning SPG for our stay but the overall experience is most important and I felt that the suites at the Sacher were most impressive. I haven't paid as keen attention to the public spaces. I'm going to revisit the Imperial right now though... is the location as ideal as the SW?

Thank you again for your feedback, it's really helpful!!
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:07 pm

Here's a deluxe junior suite at the Sacher Wien:

Here's a junior suite at the Imperial:

The Imperial looks like it could use some TLC. Furnishing is all generic repros but it's very 1990's. To be fair, I haven't priced out the rooms so perhaps we could get more bang for buck at the Imperial and upgrade to a preferred suite, but there's also no comparison with regards to the views.

Update: Reviewing management photos on TA and I'd say the Imperial is definitely a tired property. I'm shocked at the photos MANAGEMENT uploaded of the view from their Maria Theresia Suite:

The rooms all appear to have been last updated in 1992. Every suite is identical save for the colour scheme... either peach or puke green.

I've looked into the Imperial, Bristol, Coburg, Ambassador, etc. etc. etc. and all seem to have the same issues. The rooms are dumpy. They look like cheap short term apartment rentals. So far the only standout is the Sacher Wien which is classic, elegant and tastefully decorated. I'm going to call and try to negotiate a better rate on Monday.

Last edited by OliverB; Jun 13, 2015 at 5:24 pm
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:09 pm

Also for what it's worth (which might well be nada) Sacher Wien is rated #1 on TA versus the Hotel Imperial at #14.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Trogger
In which way ?
(Never stayed there, but it's on my list)
Got good upgrades etc.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Why wouldn't it be your first choice for Vienna?
+ 1 for Imperial if you look for a historic hotel. Of course you need a renovated suite, but the over all hotel is simply nicer. Sacher is so touristy.....
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
+ 1 for Imperial if you look for a historic hotel. Of course you need a renovated suite, but the over all hotel is simply nicer. Sacher is so touristy.....
I'd really appreciate it if you could all elaborate on these comments re. Sacher. In what way is it touristy?

I'm asking out of genuine interest and concern as I'm entirely unfamiliar with Vienna, though I have to admit that the city doesn't strike me as a destination that would seem to attract the negative aspects of tourism that one tends to find en masse in other major European cities. My impressions of Vienna are entirely unfounded but I've always assumed it a city that would tend to attract older crowds and more worldly and sophisticated visitors because of the high culture and high costs.

We are obviously tourists ourselves and although I'm often guilty of equating "touristy" with purely negative attributes of travel (and often it's merited as many tourist attractions are indeed tacky and exploitative), there's typically a reason that they attract attention and interest. A good example is the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City. It's a tourist zoo during high season and many of the visitors are bussed in for the day and aren't even guests at the property, yet I wouldn't chose to stay anywhere else in town as it's a highlight for good reason. It might not offer the highest level of luxury or the most refined service in town, yet it's an unequaled experience and if thoughtfully planned, the negative "touristy" elements can be strategically avoided.

In any event, I'd really like to learn more about why the Sacher is not favored on this forum. It's in every interest for me to chose to stay at the Imperial as I have enough SPG points to redeem a couple of free nights and I'm always eager to maximize my earnings on hotel stays to redeem for future trips. I admittedly am not seeing what many of you apparently are in this property however. Perhaps the lobby and common areas might be a notch above the Sacher Wien but please do me a favor and compare the MANAGEMENT photos on Tripadvisor of the rooms and suites at both properties:

Sacher Wien

Hotel Imperial

Please be sure to select "Management Photos" as these are uploaded directly by the properties and as such, are going to be biased towards advertising the rooms in their best light. I personally find the Imperial Hotel's accommodations to be alarmingly cheap, tired and rundown looking. I also can't imagine that there is any comparison between the views offered, based on the professional photos that each hotel is using to sell their rooms. Either the Imperial Hotel needs to hire a new marketing director or I'm missing something.

Again, I'd like to emphasize that I really do hope that I'm mistaken as it's strongly in my interest to book at the Imperial, but I don't want to compromise a very special trip (we're combining our stay with a full 10 nights at the Gritti Palace in Venice and an overnight aboard the Orient-Express) by booking a shabby room that looks like something you'd find at The Belvedere in New York 15 years ago...

Please explain in detail what it is that you find touristy or dumpy or otherwise about the Sacher Wien and please try to be as specific as possible so that I'm able to determine whether it boils down to personal inclination or whether it's in fact a criticism we'd be likely to share and that could potentially hinder our enjoyment of the property. I would greatly appreciate it. Furthermore, I'd welcome any suggestions towards room types. Our budget is roughly 10k (give or take... though not too much give!) for a full 7-day week.

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Sacher is world famous for it´s Sacher-cake which more or less every tourist wonna try. Imagain the queues....

I didn´t stay at Imperial since a very mediocre stay in a Elisabeth-Suite in 2006. But if I had to choose between this 2, I would still take the Imperial. At both hotels I woudn´t expect too much service-wise....
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:21 am

The Sacher is world famous for it´s Sacher-cake which more or less every tourist wonna try. Imagain the queues....
I can appreciate that but it wouldn't necessarily be my primary concern nor deterrent in booking a res. My personal areas of focus are: location, suites, views and service. I already have a sense of the common areas and rooms from online photos which is why I went ahead with the booking. Lines for cake wouldn't prevent me from staying at a property though I can understand why it might bother some. I doubt if it would feel that intrusive as I'm sure this doesn't take place in the middle of the lobby, does it?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:42 pm

After speaking directly with the property manager and careful consideration of the higher level suites, I am almost certain that I am going to heed to the better advice of the forum and book at the Hotel Imperial.

My question is this:

Would you pay 1,988.10 EURO per night for one of the six IMPERIAL SUITES (at the Premier Suite level) and consider it worth the high-commanding price?

I have generously been extended a complimentary upgrade to the Imperial Suite at the price of the non-renovated Maria Theresia Suite (with my corporate rate) however the one major downside for me is that these are situated on the lower floors of the hotel. See description below:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...sId=1002912544

Has anyone stayed in any of the Imperial Suites and if so, could you please offer your feedback?

I am also considering DOWNGRADING to the Imperial JR Suites, which are several tiers below the Maria Theresia Suite, yet appear to have been more recently refurbished. The price would be considerably less at ~ 548 EURO per night.

I'm trying to decide whether the Imperial Suites are worth spending three times as much on. I've only been able to dig up a single picture of a bedroom. No photos of the bathrooms, livingroom, or otherwise seem to exist online. :/
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would you pay 1,988.10 EURO per night for one of the six IMPERIAL SUITES (at the Premier Suite level) and consider it worth the high-commanding price?
I doubt I would do, but with the upgrade I believe it woud be round about 800 €. Correct?

I am also considering DOWNGRADING to the Imperial JR Suites, which are several tiers below the Maria Theresia Suite, yet appear to have been more recently refurbished. The price would be considerably less at ~ 548 EURO per night.
Your decision. It´s like deciding between a BMW 520 and a BMW 750.....

however the one major downside for me is that these are situated on the lower floors of the hotel.
The lower floors are the more exclusive at Imperial. I woudn´t go for a high floor.....

Here are videos of Imperial Suite:

Last edited by offerendum; Jun 16, 2015 at 3:15 am
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:50 am

Wow they even iron the newspaper for you, talk about service!

1,988.10 EURO would be the cost with upgrade. I'm currently booked in the Maria Theresia Suite at that price (that's with my corporate rate!) and the revenue manager has either offered me the choice of a free upgrade to one of the Imperial Suites or a modest rate discount to 1,730.00 EURO per night to remain in the current suite.

Were it only 800 EURO, the decision would have been made already!

Do these prices seem out of whack or reasonable for Vienna? I had thought that we were visiting during a quieter season (end of October) but the rates don't seem to reflect that. Even the Goldener Hirsch is costing nearly 700 EUROS per night.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow they even iron the newspaper for you, talk about service!

1,988.10 EURO would be the cost with upgrade. I'm currently booked in the Maria Theresia Suite at that price (that's with my corporate rate!) and the revenue manager has either offered me the choice of a free upgrade to one of the Imperial Suites or a modest rate discount to 1,730.00 EURO per night to remain in the current suite.

Were it only 800 EURO, the decision would have been made already!

Do these prices seem out of whack or reasonable for Vienna? I had thought that we were visiting during a quieter season (end of October) but the rates don't seem to reflect that. Even the Goldener Hirsch is costing nearly 700 EUROS per night.
I doubt the suite is worth it, but Vienna isn´t cheap.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Yikes! Thank goodness for this forum!!!

Could you please elaborate on why it was such a dump? Was it undergoing renovations or something?

I would say that my primary incentive for booking at the Sacher Wien would be these suites with private terraces with views over the Opera House:
http://www.sacher.com/hotel-sacher-v...bedroom-suite/

Please tell me more about why it was so shabby... I would certainly MUCH prefer to be earning SPG for our stay but the overall experience is most important and I felt that the suites at the Sacher were most impressive. I haven't paid as keen attention to the public spaces. I'm going to revisit the Imperial right now though... is the location as ideal as the SW?

Thank you again for your feedback, it's really helpful!!

I didn´t stay at Imperial since a very mediocre stay in a Elisabeth-Suite in 2006. But if I had to choose between this 2, I would still take the Imperial. At both hotels I woudn´t expect too much service-wise....
To be honest I cannot follow some posts here and in other threads (such as the following below in the SPG Luxury Coll. vs. Park Hyatt thread with my comment) about Hotel Sacher. Sounds like a campaign to me.

Vienna is full of tourists. Some who are curious about the Sacher will be in the Cafe Sacher as well (The Sachertorte is sold in the shop which has a seperate entrance). They will not disturb your stay at the hotel. Aren´t we all tourists in Vienna, even when staying as business people there? The hotel combines classic freshness in interiour with Viennese charme, thanks to Mrs. Elisabeth Gürtler, the owner, who renovated it some years ago with inspirations from Paris hotels and fabrics from Paris manufacturers (She was 1997-2007 also head of Vienna Opera Ball, and is currently head of Spanish Riding School Vienna). Most central location in Vienna.

I would consider it to be the the no. 1 hotel in Austria with the best international guests.

Do not misunderstand me. There are many also fantastic new 5 star luxury hotels in Vienna. Imperial is also an icon, but eventually in need of some renovation. Grand Hotel next to Opera connected to Ringstrassengalerie mall is also an LHW option, also Viennese atmosphere, great and grand rooms, less "life" in the evening than at Sacher, and the Grand Cafe disappointed me last time due to a lack of atmosphere.

See in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ark-hyatt.html

my post here about Hotel Sacher:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24929863-post27.html

The Adlon's original building survived the war but was destroyed by a fire in 1945 and was eventually demolished in '52. From what I've read, a rear wing of the original construction was left standing and it was later renovated in the '60s but it eventually closed to guests in the '70s to serve as a lodging house for East German apprentices. Any remnants of the original structure were demolished in the '80s and the current building dates to about 1995. It stands to reason that the hotel doesn't exude the same sense of past as Hotel De Rome. I don't think the rooms are as thoughtfully and elegantly furnished and the interior design seems to lean more towards the contemporary (makes sense as it was built in the '90s) and feels less opulent and "special" to me. I'm not too familiar with the layout of Berlin but the location doesn't seem as ideal as HdR either, based on Google Map's street view, though I could be mistaken. Overall, I get the sense that HdR offers a higher level of extravagance and sense of past.
Well, Adlon is a German icon, again or still after the rebuilding in 1995-1997 and 2003. Best guests in town, celebrities´ no. 1 choice, many rich Germans choose it, diplomats and politicians frequent it, many top restaurants on-site, and I would say, the location is the most prestigious in Berlin, surrounded by Brandenburg Gate and embassies, footsteps to Reichstag and Bundeskanzleramt. De Rome is the other best choice in Berlin. Whereas Adlon´s slogan could be "to see and be seen", De Rome offers more discretion and intimity. I like it personally. The location is also good, near to Gendarmenmarkt square, Museum Island, Alexanderplatz square. By the way my favourite location is Gendarmenmarkt square.

Regarding the interiour I am undecided. Sir Rocco´s daughter Olga Polizzi and her extravagant elegant style competes with Anno August Jagdfeld´s wife Anna Maria and her more contemporary classic design. I like both styles.

Originally Posted by CanfordCliffs
So I have 2 leaders club nights to redeem by 31 august.

I just tried to redeem them at any of the 3 Leading hotels in Zurich on 4 different dates in March.

I then tried to redeem them at any of the 5/6 Leading hotels in Venice on ANY date in May

I then tried to redeem them at the Villa D'Este Como on any date in July or August

I then tried to redeem them at the Grand Hotel Cap Ferrat any date in July or August

Even though there were base rooms available, apparently the hotels had already "reached their redemption capacity for this period".

Really disappointed and I am now looking to spend them in Bath (not my preferred option) at the new Gainsborough if it opens before the end of August. To be honest, I am pretty disgusted as I used to value these free nights at around 500 euros, but seeing as I cant use them for most of my trips and only, it seems for low season, I am now putting a value on them of less than 250 euros
I hope your experience is not typical, as I have to redeem some certificates in August, and want to go to South France / Saint Tropez. My last redemption was in Heiligendamm last year, 3 nights. Frankfurt LHW office had told me the hotel had blocked my dates as not available, but LHW could overrule it. I got upgraded to seaview at time of booking (that was before devaluation) and all LHW (Unlimited) benefits. If that is true what you say I am unsure if I should renew my membership which is due now.

Last edited by submonte; Jun 21, 2015 at 1:10 pm Reason: spelling, classic design, "about Hotel Sacher", shop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.