Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Anyone set to try new Baccarat NYC soon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone set to try new Baccarat NYC soon?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scented
PHNY has an identity crisis. They were - of course - aiming at the high end travelers and HNWIs, but with no view to speak of and lacking service, that's not going too well. Guests of Hyatt's loyalty program Gold Passport are disgruntled by the property's current policies regarding upgrades and overall treatment, because they're not the preferred clientele of the hotel at this stage. Add management problems and a PR disaster and you'll get the idea. I won't go into details as this is not the main focus of this thread, but read a few reviews in the Hyatt section if you're interested - it's revealing. I know Yabu Pushelberg is somewhat popular on this forum, but ever since I stayed in a suite at FS Toronto I really don't understand why any hospitality corporation would have them do the job. Hotels aren't fashion boutiques.
Well since I know the views are limited at Baccarat (correct me if I am wrong), so let's hope the service is awesome
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Just bumping this thread to see now that they are open If any local NYC FTers have checked it out?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:26 am

Programs: Amanjunkie
We will be staying at the Baccarat in May, will report back.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GK1998
We will be staying at the Baccarat in May, will report back.
Awesome thanks
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

We just booked for June. Looking forward to some TR from fellow FTers. Anyone have good recommendations for dinner in immediate area of the Baccarat. I have been recommended to try:

Modern across the street at the MOMA
Jean-georges nougatine
Benjamin steakhouse

Any other good maybe more casual tips in that area?

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I am also booked for three nights at the end of May. The website doesn't clearly explain the differences between the two room categories. An email to reservations was answered promptly, informing me that Grand Classic rooms are larger than Classic rooms, and that some/all (not clear) in the Classic category do NOT have bathtubs. Apparently all Grand Classic rooms do.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:19 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by off2rome
We just booked for June. Looking forward to some TR from fellow FTers. Anyone have good recommendations for dinner in immediate area of the Baccarat. I have been recommended to try:

Jean-georges nougatine
Benjamin steakhouse

Thanks
On 55th between 5th and 6th (though closer to 6th) are a few good options:

Benoit (Ducasse)
Pizzarte (for napoli style pizza)
La Bonne Soupe (cute little french bistro)

On West 52nd, closer to 5th, is Restaurant Soba Nippon for hand cut buckwheat soba noodles.

On East 47th, closer to 5th, on the second floor is Kuruma Sushi. Fantastic sushi, especially the fish flown in from Tuskiji. Fish aged perfectly so the flesh relaxes. Easier to get into than Sushi Yasuda.

Quality Meats is on West 56th, closer to 6th.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:50 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold

Jean-georges nougatine
Benjamin steakhouse

Thanks
I continue to be intrigued by this property. I just booked a weekend in the city for the fall however and didn't reserve here. Will wait to see how the reports come in...can always change.

For dining, I'd scratch off Benjamin Steakhouse. It is not bad, but not the best you're going to do. For steakhouses, consider Quality Meats (as Luxury suggested), which is a modern interpretation of a proper NY steakhouse, Sparks on E46th (olde school NY steakhouse with an unusually reasonably priced wine list) or Del Frisco (6th around 50th) if you want close and are willing to accept a chain. Not to dissuade you from Quality Meats, but it is one of the many incarnations of the Stillman family...the founders of TGI Fridays! After they got out of the mass market game, they turned things up a bit with a higher end portfolio. QM is my favorite of their restaurants.

For other local-type places, take a walk on 56th between 5th and 6th. Lots of principally Asian hole-in-the-wall places...but I can say I bat about .900 on that street in terms of finding a good meal. It is one of the best streets for Asian cuisines in midtown. I am also a big fan of Topaz Thai, over on 56th between 6 and 7.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:55 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Andrew Turner - ex Anantara Phuket etc, ex-Capella. ex-Ritz-Carlton.
Are you a fan?
Old May 20, 2015, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Just checking in- any reviews. Some of the press I read online is making me nervous
Old May 21, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
I was in town this past weekend and stopped in for a tour after visiting the MOMA.

The quality of the rooms is impressive. The style is distinctive and will not be to everyone's taste but for a getaway weekend its perfect. High French decor with modern touches. Much higher quality finish than the usual suspects, FS, MO, StR, Pen, except maybe the Lowell. Yes, they do have the crystal in the rooms to enjoy with the minibar liquor. Many of the rooms have lovely pieces with spot lights on them just before you enter the room.

The deluxe room we saw was of comfortable size but I wouldn't want their entry level room. Book one category up.

The second floor galleria reminded me of a small version of the George V gallery. Stunning roses. I was surprised to find it almost full late afternoon on a Saturday. They serve breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner.
Their main and formal restaurant, on the ground floor and accessible from the street, also reminded me of the le V, with huge gorgeous flower arrangements and the most professional staff.

They do have a guests and residents only lounge which was a bit odd and no one was using it.

On the bottom level they have a swimming pool with full comfortable loungers and a length perfect for laps. It's worth noting that these are the plush over the top comfortable loungers.
This is a welcome new addition to the NYC hotel scene and worthy of true consideration when visiting the city.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
I was in town this past weekend and stopped in for a tour after visiting the MOMA.

The quality of the rooms is impressive. The style is distinctive and will not be to everyone's taste but for a getaway weekend its perfect. High French decor with modern touches. Much higher quality finish than the usual suspects, FS, MO, StR, Pen, except maybe the Lowell. Yes, they do have the crystal in the rooms to enjoy with the minibar liquor. Many of the rooms have lovely pieces with spot lights on them just before you enter the room.

The deluxe room we saw was of comfortable size but I wouldn't want their entry level room. Book one category up.

The second floor galleria reminded me of a small version of the George V gallery. Stunning roses. I was surprised to find it almost full late afternoon on a Saturday. They serve breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner.
Their main and formal restaurant, on the ground floor and accessible from the street, also reminded me of the le V, with huge gorgeous flower arrangements and the most professional staff.

They do have a guests and residents only lounge which was a bit odd and no one was using it.

On the bottom level they have a swimming pool with full comfortable loungers and a length perfect for laps. It's worth noting that these are the plush over the top comfortable loungers.
This is a welcome new addition to the NYC hotel scene and worthy of true consideration when visiting the city.
Did they give any indication as to when the pool and spa would be open?
Old May 22, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Did they give any indication as to when the pool and spa would be open?
The spa is already open and looks unusually good. The pool looked like it would open within a day or two, a week at most.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Pool and spa should be open any moment now.

A good friend of mine was on the pre-opening board of directors.

Apparently, the hotel is making a concerted effort to be *extremely* kid friendly.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Pool and spa should be open any moment now.

A good friend of mine was on the pre-opening board of directors.

Apparently, the hotel is making a concerted effort to be *extremely* kid friendly.
I believe you that they are trying to be kid friendly. However, I was there two hours and didn't see one baby or child.

I'm curious to see if they can differentiate themselves, and leverage their connections to crystal, and succeed. I would have thought Paris would have been a good first location.

Part of their strategy is that they are going more formal, in a market where their competitors Four Seasons, RC, and St. Regis are dressing themselves and interacting with the guests in a less formal and moral familiar manner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.