Cape town hotels and restaurants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cape town hotels and restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Pausanias
I'm in Cape Town in December for a few days. Judging from my distinctly underwhelming experiences at The Fat Duck and L'Enclume in the UK, I think I'll give The Test Kitchen a wide berth. That sort of oh-so-fussy-trendy food just doesn't deliver for me on any level. Hopefully it's a passing phase and the world will regain its appetite for classically-based cooking without the need for nitro blasters, water baths and micro-herbs. The sort of food that doesn't need a pair of tweezers to be plated up. I like the sort of food currently being explored by Rick Stein in his latest TV series through the Balkans. Real food.
I tend to agree with you. The Rick Stein programme is excellent. If you want that sort of food in a London hotel, then try The Colony Grill at The Beaumont - everything from Steak Diane to Avocado vinaigrette and no tweezers.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: FSPP, Virtuoso, RC STARS, PenClub, Dorchester Diamond, Rosewood Elite, Belmond Bellini, R&CPP
Here is my list (outside of what has already been recommended):
The Codfather - recommended for fish-lovers but not my personal best; in an area of Cape Town called Camps Bay
Koi - at the Ambassador Hotel, fusion food along the lines of Nobu; very hip and cool, great ambiance (on the cliffs)
The Grand - on the beach, super trendy (in a good way); great atmosphere and feels like St Tropez
Shimmy Beach - great atmosphere, turns into a night/dance club
The Black Marlin - on the coast past Boulder's Beach, closer to Cape Point... INCREDIBLE views and food, highly recommended
Perroni - recommended for lunch in Haut Bay, Portuguese South African, super yummy
Newport Deli - dive, best lunch salads and sandwiches in Cape Town...
Olympia Cafe - in Kalk Bay, looks like a place straight out of diners drive-ins and dives but it's AMAZING; fun little stretch of town to shop in as well
Wakame - decent sushi place
Tasca - Portuguese South African cuisine on the V&A Waterfront
Baia - amazing fish and romantic setting, also at V&A Waterfront
Willoughby's - incredible (!) sushi at the V&A Waterfront
Tokara - lunch on wine estate in Stellenbosch, gorgeous views, haute cuisine
La Colombe - lunch on a wine estate in Constantia
Biscuit Mill - fun market open on Saturdays only during certain morning and afternoon hours... Can get food there and lots craft-y type shopping, great for gifts and souvenirs, very average cuisine; it's the experience that is worth the stop
Babylonstoren - farm chic inn for lunch

Last edited by CanvasTravelCo; Aug 31, 2015 at 8:29 pm
Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:23 am

I am thinking of going to Cape Town in June. I know I know. It's rainy season. However this works out for surfing and biking.

Is there any smaller hotels that offer private pool?

If not, what is the recommended hotel?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by surftb15
I am thinking of going to Cape Town in June. I know I know. It's rainy season. However this works out for surfing and biking.

Is there any smaller hotels that offer private pool?

If not, what is the recommended hotel?
The owner's suite at Ellerman House has a private pool. Small, beautifully run property.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
But you won't want to leave it.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

POD for example, but their plunge pools seem not totally private > http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...cape-town.html
Originally Posted by Michael82
Ive used to stay at Ezards House, then tried out Cape Grace and also the One and Only. While both are nice
I prefer to be in Camps bay... There you cant really go wrong with: POD The suites are super nice.
ellerman is very expensive for the 2 with pools, upper level would be private

countryside - less than ellerman >
la residence has several pool villas, again not totally private
delaire graff, pretty sure similarly not totally private

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 1, 2015 at 2:51 pm
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:52 pm

The POD hotel looks like a great location.
Are the plunge pool heated or the like?
Since were going in June weather may or may not cooperate!

Last edited by surftb15; Sep 1, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:18 am

Weather in June is usually OK. Some rainy days, but pleasant sunny spells too. The main rainy season is later in the year.

We were in Cape Town for an extended spell in June; early 20s and sunny for the most part. Obviously there's an element of chance involved, but if you go in with low expectations, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by ThudAndBlunder; Sep 4, 2015 at 3:28 am
Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:46 pm

Please excuse me if there's a more appropriate thread, but any great SA hotels other than CPT/JNB & Safaris?

Currently @ Fairmont Durban for a conference & have a few days to kill before heading to Miami.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:38 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Please excuse me if there's a more appropriate thread, but any great SA hotels other than CPT/JNB & Safaris?

Currently @ Fairmont Durban for a conference & have a few days to kill before heading to Miami.
That is pretty much it in South Africa. But keep in mind the western cape is much more than just Cape Town - You have wine country and coastal options.

Not sure if you want to fly, but check out the Oyster Box in Durban as well.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by A4K
That is pretty much it in South Africa. But keep in mind the western cape is much more than just Cape Town - You have wine country and coastal options.

Not sure if you want to fly, but check out the Oyster Box in Durban as well.
Thx! Ended up in FS JNB which is just a fool proof way to spend a few days, very happy so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.