Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge (Rwanda)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report: Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge (Rwanda)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I finally figured out how to add videos (I think). If interested, feel free to check out the 4 videos I added back to the TR.
The video links are still erroring-out - could you upload them again or with another service? I am trying to convince some friends to do this trip next year along with Botswana or Tanzania for traditional safari viewing.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The video links are still erroring-out - could you upload them again or with another service? I am trying to convince some friends to do this trip next year along with Botswana or Tanzania for traditional safari viewing.
OK I've uploaded them to youtube. So the links should work now. Sorry for the delay!
Old May 9, 2015, 12:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by hannisen
The videos stopped working. I'm guessing they were links to a cached version, which would mean they are only available for so long.

Would appreciate new videos and larger photos a lot, the review was fun with lots of interesting details.
Uploaded the videos to youtube, so the links should be permanent now. Sorry for the delay!
Old May 9, 2015, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
OK I've uploaded them to youtube. So the links should work now. Sorry for the delay!
Thank you! The videos look amazing and I'm sure only detail a fraction of the experience. I've been looking at this trip for quite awhile and it seems the experience can be a mixed back - either you get very close to the gorillas and even get some physical interaction, or you just view them from a distance and they never get close. I think we may book two subsequent hikes to two different groups to improve out chances of a similar experience to yours.

I the understand lodge is very expensive, so with 3 and possibly 4 of us going, I decided to check out the Jack Hanna House as an alternative which might be a better idea vs getting two rooms at the Sabyinyo Lodge.

Last edited by bocastephen; May 9, 2015 at 2:55 pm
Old May 9, 2015, 3:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Thank you! The videos look amazing and I'm sure only detail a fraction of the experience. I've been looking at this trip for quite awhile and it seems the experience can be a mixed back - either you get very close to the gorillas and even get some physical interaction, or you just view them from a distance and they never get close. I think we may book two subsequent hikes to two different groups to improve out chances of a similar experience to yours.
Our experience with 2 different families (Susa A and Sabyinyo) included very close interactions with both. The other guests we met at our lodge indicated they had the same experience, including KI-NRT here on FT who was at our lodge at the same time but visited different (e.g. easier to reach!) families than we did. So I think you can be reasonably assured of pretty close-up interactions.

You might also indicate that preference to your lodge guides, as they may be able to press for you to join the more "interactive" families when they haggle on your behalf for your family assignment each morning.

I the understand lodge is very expensive, so with 3 and possibly 4 of us going, I decided to check out the Jack Hanna House as an alternative which might be a better idea vs getting two rooms at the Sabyinyo Lodge.
Absolutely. Your gorilla experience is the same regardless of which lodge you're at--though make sure your lodge can purchase your permits in advance so you're not left stranded once you're there.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:35 pm

Great report. Trying to get there in November.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:32 am

Hi Bhrubin.
I am interested in doing the gorilla trekking tour in Rwanda this year! May I ask if you book directly with the hotel or through a tour operator?
Thank you!

Deleted very long re-quote of original post.
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jan 15, 2017 at 10:10 am
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:46 am

I cannot possibly improve upon the content upstream, but I can provide a few comments/updates, as we recently stayed here. Although our TA really pushed Virunga for the views, the longer drive was just not appealing, particularly as we had just spent 8 days sitting in safari vehicles in Tanzania.

Overall, the lodge is perfectly up to the task of helping guests experience the gorillas and we would recommend it. The staff is truly eager to please if not always 100% on task, which might be attributed to slight communication confusion. The managers mentioned above appear to have been replaced but the new ones were in leave, with a
competent temporary manager on hand.

The much discussed arrival steps are a bit of a nuisance, especially after a long hike, but
the upside is that it affords good views. Some of the cottages are also quite a distance from the main lodge and that could be an added irritant. If that might matter to you, speak up in advance.

The rooms could use some freshening up as they are starting to show signs of age. As well, the cement floors are quite cold. Our room did get cold in the evenings, but tolerably so.
Fires are lit and there is an electric heating unit.

There is more building happening in the area, so I suspect that the lodge will need to up its game. The new Bisate Lodge has excellent early reviews, for example.

The lodge does a great job getting guests prepared for treks, providing backpacks, panchos,
gloves, gaiters and snack. As for the hike, we had the same easy hike turned difficult
scenario and I am not too proud to admit that it was extremely difficult due to the altitude and incline. The descent was miserable on the knees but, of course, it was all worthwhile.
We saw the sabyinyo group, including the largest mountain gorilla in the world, Guhonda.
He was studied by Dian Fossey and our guide, Francois, was her porter, so it was celebrity row.

And speaking of porters, they are invaluable. Not only do they carry bags, but they help clear branches, warn of nettle and help getting through the very tricky terrain, if needed. And I sure needed that. These delightful porters are doing this for $10 plus tips and it is simply shocking to me that people will economize here. One couple on our trip took one, who carried two backpacks and helped both walking uphill. Yet this couple doled out a minimum of $750 pp for permits.

As you may know, the permit price was just raised to $1500 so it will be interesting to see
if demand diminishes at all. It's such a unique life experience, that it probably won't, but
I hope they haven't overplayed their hand.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by poohbear0218
Hi Bhrubin.
I am interested in doing the gorilla trekking tour in Rwanda this year! May I ask if you book directly with the hotel or through a tour operator?
Thank you!
Directly with the hotel!
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:01 pm

Directly with the hotel!
How did you make the payment directly with the hotel? Wire transfer or other method? Trying to make sure everything is legit before making payment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.