Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Recent Singita experiences? (South Africa)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent Singita experiences? (South Africa)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:43 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
We did King's Pool and Jao in Botswana. Magic!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Hawaiino
Dr Giggles
And I was starting to hope for a forgotten '85 Henri Jayer....
Is this one of the Big Five?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Is this one of the Big Five?
well played
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Marriott Platinum SPG Gold National Emerald
Kings Pool was the replacement for Duma Tau when we were included in a "deal" and could trade up. Our original Botswana portion was Little Vum and DT.
We were going to pull out of the commitment to those two and wait for the WS Green Season specials to be be announced. I thought we would then pick and choose what fit between the Delta and Linyanti.
WS came back with some incentives to commit now....and I rose to the chum. They set the hook....we're booked!

And yes, Jayer makes everybody's "Big 5".

DrG, we're you able to find any SA gems that you'd recco' ? I'm a bit out to sea, though I've enjoyed some fine bordeaux blends and of course the odd pinotage. I kind of wish we were doing the Capetown portion prior so I'd be a little better versed. My intention is to hire a guide for two days and traverse the winelands.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Kings Pool was the replacement for Duma Tau when we were included in a "deal" and could trade up. Our original Botswana portion was Little Vum and DT.
And yes, Jayer makes everybody's "Big 5".
Great trade. we didn't love DT. As for Little Vumbura Someone i met on safari who stayed there didn't like the fact that i think you ahve to take a boat to get to your vehicle for your morning drive so you blow like 30-45min just transiting whereas for VP there was action as soon as you left the grounds (during dinner we saw an elephant use a parked jeep as a makeshift back scratcher).

DrG, we're you able to find any SA gems that you'd recco' ? I'm a bit out to sea, though I've enjoyed some fine bordeaux blends and of course the odd pinotage. I kind of wish we were doing the Capetown portion prior so I'd be a little better versed. My intention is to hire a guide for two days and traverse the winelands.
never loved the pinotage. had better luck with the blends and enjoyed the chenin blancs.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:19 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I'm a bit out to sea, though I've enjoyed some fine bordeaux blends and of course the odd pinotage. I kind of wish we were doing the Capetown portion prior so I'd be a little better versed. My intention is to hire a guide for two days and traverse the winelands.
For SA wine, which is largely what is in the Boulders cellar, it's all much cheaper than French/Italian/Napa etc. Which is why you can open anything. There are some seriously good gems there, but it helps to know some top producers with wines most likely to age well (and to have some idea of their sweet spot ranges in age). Having visited almost all of the top producers with the best track records for quality wines in SA on our 3 trips to SA, I can tell you that there are some very good wines in there!

For pinotage, you definitely want a better producer like Kanonkop, and aged at least 5-8 years in general. I hated all pinotage on my first trip, since I was trying more average wine. Once I tried a great reserve from Kanonkop and other comparable producers, I was sold!

There are some amazing Pinots and Syrahs, as well as the normal Bordeaux type blends. Just do a little research ahead of time or feel free to ask the wine director there at Boulders. He was VERY helpful to me once he realized I knew the producers and some vintage info, and helped me pair wines beautifully with the amazing food we had there. :-)
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:28 am

DrG
Mahalo plenty

bhrubin
I'll check in with the wine director first thing... for my introduction to the wine lands and producers when we head south....do you have any guides , tours, or winery's that are "dont miss"?
I try to avoid the bus tour stops and prefer tastings of higher level cuvees or back vintages. If I could find the SA analog to Lopez de Heredia ( Rioja producer with phenomenal celliar of vintages) I'd be very pleased.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:42 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

bhrubin
I'll check in with the wine director first thing... for my introduction to the wine lands and producers when we head south....do you have any guides , tours, or winery's that are "dont miss"?
I try to avoid the bus tour stops and prefer tastings of higher level cuvees or back vintages. If I could find the SA analog to Lopez de Heredia ( Rioja producer with phenomenal celliar of vintages) I'd be very pleased.
We arranged our first trip's winery visits through A&K, and we've never used them again as a result. They simple took is to pretty wineries instead of those that have the best wines as we'd requested.

I arranged my own itineraries for our second and third winery tours. We went through La Residence on our second trip (where we also were married) to visit wineries. On our most recent week in January, we actually drove ourselves and had a fabulous time. (I contacted the wineries directly that I wanted to visit, and everyone was extremely willing to help and work with us.)

The best wineries with the top wines include (but are not limited to) Kanonkop, Tokara & Thelema, Sadie Family, Mullinieux, Vergelegen, Boekenhoutskloof, Chamonix, Hamilton Russell, Rust en Vrede, Bouchard Finalyson, De Trafford, Rustenberg, Paul Cluver, Cederberg, Meerlust, etc. Each has its own specialities between reds and whites and/or particular varietals. We've had amazing wines from all of those. We continue to source Boekenhootskloof (Chocolate Block, Syrah, & Cab reds), Sadie Family (Columella red, Palladius white) Mullinieux (Syrah blends, Rhone whites), Hamilton Russell (Chardonnay), Meerlust (Rubicon), and Kanonkop (Paul Suaer & pinotage Reds) for our own wine cellar at home.

For the record, we also tend to New World wines, and are on the allocation lists of Napa/Sonoma/Central Coast California vintners such as Aubert, Kongsgaard, Harlan Estate, Colgin, Alban, Sine Qua Non, Saxum, BOND, Promontory, Morlet Family, Pahlmeyer, etc. I also am just completing the graduate winemaking certificate program from UC Davis for my personal edification.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 19, 2015 at 10:17 am
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:06 pm

Lower end S.A. wines are similar to those from anywhere, however at the (somewhat) higher end I've found much joy. I've particularly enjoyed the Hamilton Russell 'Ashbourne', Meerlust (Merlot and Rubicon), Klein 'Constantia', Anwilka 'Stellenbosch'. Mostly in the 10-15 year consumption band.

I know each wine region varies in how they accommodate visitors, and within the region from place to place as well. I thought to reach out to the staff at Steenberg for a proposal and use that as a guide and starting point. I know that I can always hire a driver if I have made my own appointments directly.

You have a great allocation list of California vintners. Given aging requirements your cellar must be deep!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We had a wonderful time at Sweni and Ebony. I will do a full review in the next few days. The renovation at Ebony is stunning.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Love Boulders ( facing the river) and Lebombo ( higher up with River view)in South Africa. Like all 4 Tanzania camps.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:51 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by floridagal23
We had a wonderful time at Sweni and Ebony. I will do a full review in the next few days. The renovation at Ebony is stunning.
Looking forward to the TR/review and any photos of the renovated Ebony!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Looking forward to the TR/review and any photos of the renovated Ebony!
We have tons of photos. Ebony is..stunning.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:12 pm

We have tons of photos. Ebony is..stunning.
I chose Boulders over Ebony on my trip to South Africa, but I'm really loving the new look!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonours Gold, AA Platinum
Renovated Ebony

Hi floridagal, we are considering Ebony and Sweni for our first family trip early next year. Would love to see pictures of the renovated Ebony! Also, if you happen to have seen/ have an opinion on the Lewis Suites vs the farthest Family Suites, would be very much appreciated!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.