Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Only budgeted for luxury in Hong Kong or Singapore: which city should I pick?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
I'll add that this isn't a close call. HK wins this contest in a blowout. HK is a fun, upbeat, vibrant city. Singapore is an over-sized, mildly depressing shopping mall.

- For a first visit, I'd not spend too much time choosing the 'high end' hotel. HK is just loaded with good hotels. Every one of'em mentioned here clobbers the best Singapore has to offer. I think you should be on the Kowloon side. The harbor view is much better. That means Pen or IC. The IC is fine. I'd choose that for the view and location.

- It sounds like you are doing some international travel. Are you stopping over to/from India? Be careful when you book to make sure the hotel will accommodate odd check-in/checkout times. You could end up paying for an extra 1-2 days. I've had that problem. Last trip I needed to check-in at 9am and checkout the next day at 6 pm. The hotel want to charge me three days for the 33 hours.

- It is very easy to get to HK Island and the ferries from Kowloon. This is a simple MRT ride.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I'll add that this isn't a close call. HK wins this contest in a blowout. HK is a fun, upbeat, vibrant city. Singapore is an over-sized, mildly depressing shopping mall.
For sure HK hotels are better than the ones in Singapore. Our stay at the Peninsula last month was great. And the FS on the island side is also an excellent choice

But there are much more things to do in Singapore than in Hong Kong. Once you see the view from the Peak you can visit watches stores, or watches stores. And may be some additional watches stores. I would prefer to spend two weeks in S'pore than a short weekend in HK. Différent taste I guess
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla

- For a first visit, I'd not spend too much time choosing the 'high end' hotel. HK is just loaded with good hotels. Every one of'em mentioned here clobbers the best Singapore has to offer. I think you should be on the Kowloon side. The harbor view is much better. That means Pen or IC. The IC is fine. I'd choose that for the view and location.

- It sounds like you are doing some international travel. Are you stopping over to/from India? Be careful when you book to make sure the hotel will accommodate odd check-in/checkout times. You could end up paying for an extra 1-2 days. I've had that problem. Last trip I needed to check-in at 9am and checkout the next day at 6 pm. The hotel want to charge me three days for the 33 hours.

- It is very easy to get to HK Island and the ferries from Kowloon. This is a simple MRT ride.
Hey Mike... so Kowloon for location. I think stepping out of the hotel and finding something to do right there in and off itself is a great thing. So looks I should do some research on things to do on Kowloon side. I would love to fall asleep to great view.. but not sure whether I'd trade that off for service in the hotel.

Yeah I'd doing a RTW trip (JFK-HKG-CMB-BKK-SIN-FRA-JFK). I do have early check-in and late checkout via FHR but not that early or that late. I guess worst case I can refresh at the lounge in airport before I arrive at the hotel and leave the bags w/ bellboy.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:06 pm

I disagree with Mike_la_jolla about Kowloon being the place to stay - virtually everything touristy you would want is either on the Island or accessible from it. Unless you want to go out to say the New Territories or the Sai Kung peninsula you will have go across the Harbour to get anywhere like other islands, the Peak and beaches such as Big Wave, Shek O etc..
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:12 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by onehitrenegade
Hey Mike... so Kowloon for location. I think stepping out of the hotel and finding something to do right there in and off itself is a great thing. So looks I should do some research on things to do on Kowloon side. I would love to fall asleep to great view.. but not sure whether I'd trade that off for service in the hotel.

Yeah I'd doing a RTW trip (JFK-HKG-CMB-BKK-SIN-FRA-JFK). I do have early check-in and late checkout via FHR but not that early or that late. I guess worst case I can refresh at the lounge in airport before I arrive at the hotel and leave the bags w/ bellboy.
If you book the Peninsula through a Pen Club agent -- there are a few on this board -- you will have flexible check-in and check-out. So if you arrive at 6am and check-out at 9pm, okay, no problems. This is something to consider.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
I would go with the flow HK is the best call but neither are cheap.

Bangkok gives more bang for buck.

That said I find Singapore hotels have a certain arrogance compared to Hong kong.

Take your pick they are all great.

My own preference is Hong kong Island. Four seasons is a great call but others are also noteworthy if you have status with a chain.

My advice on Hong kong is visit Stanley. A great day trip
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:39 am

Am a local in HK so never stayed in any of the properties. Between IC and MO, only advantage of IC is the view since it looks at HK from the Kowloon side. MO has better restaurants. Spoon is so so. The Steak House is better IMHO. But in Central, MO Grill is great Can also try the Krug Room also in MO or Amber in Landmark MO. Book early though.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dewby
I would go with the flow HK is the best call but neither are cheap.

Bangkok gives more bang for buck.

That said I find Singapore hotels have a certain arrogance compared to Hong kong.

Take your pick they are all great.

My own preference is Hong kong Island. Four seasons is a great call but others are also noteworthy if you have status with a chain.

My advice on Hong kong is visit Stanley. A great day trip
Stanley sounds interesting. Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Am a local in HK so never stayed in any of the properties. Between IC and MO, only advantage of IC is the view since it looks at HK from the Kowloon side. MO has better restaurants. Spoon is so so. The Steak House is better IMHO. But in Central, MO Grill is great Can also try the Krug Room also in MO or Amber in Landmark MO. Book early though.
When you say book early, I assume you mean restaurant reservations, right? I plan to talk to the hotel concierge about those after I pick the hotel. Thanks for the recommendations.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Pausanias
The time of year could be a significant factor in making a choice - while Singapore has a year-round tropical climate, Hong Kong is seasonal and can be downright cold and damp at times. I also think Singapore offers far better swimming pools than Hong Kong, so if you are a pool person then Singapore might be the one to choose.
I'm not sure I'd agree. I've been very impressed by Hong Kong pools at the Peninsula, RC, and W. RC is indoors, very high, and has a cool video wall with swimming fishes, etc. OTOH, in Singapore, I've enjoyed pools at Raffles and StR. The new Westin has a high infinity pool with water views, but otherwise it's not so great.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
For sure HK hotels are better than the ones in Singapore. Our stay at the Peninsula last month was great. And the FS on the island side is also an excellent choice

But there are much more things to do in Singapore than in Hong Kong. Once you see the view from the Peak you can visit watches stores, or watches stores. And may be some additional watches stores. I would prefer to spend two weeks in S'pore than a short weekend in HK. Différent taste I guess
Interesting
Glad you managed to discover what is ' uniquely Singapore ' which many have not realised or made time to explore . My quibble is the humidity ..

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not sure I'd agree. I've been very impressed by Hong Kong pools at the Peninsula, RC, and W. RC is indoors, very high, and has a cool video wall with swimming fishes, etc. OTOH, in Singapore, I've enjoyed pools at Raffles and StR. The new Westin has a high infinity pool with water views, but otherwise it's not so great.
Originally Posted by Pausanias
The time of year could be a significant factor in making a choice - while Singapore has a year-round tropical climate, Hong Kong is seasonal and can be downright cold and damp at times. I also think Singapore offers far better swimming pools than Hong Kong, so if you are a pool person then Singapore might be the one to choose.
Many hotels in Singapore have decent swimmable pools , even those that don ' t belong in this forum
As Pausanias has said too & year round swimming is possible even during the monsoons , the sun comes out soon enough .
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Intercontinental Gold Ambassador | British Airways Silver EC
I have to agree with the vast majority here - Hong Kong is the city to choose.

Personally, I prefer to stay in Kowloon - specifically Tsim Sha Tsui - when staying in Hong Kong. The main reason is the magical view of Victoria Harbour that can only be truly appreciated from this perspective - it never gets old.

Staying in Kowloon also gives you a great excuse to take the Star Ferry to the island which is an experience in itself. There's also quite a lot to do on Kowloon. You've got the markets of Yau Ma Tei and Mong Kok. There are some great restaurants, bars and live music haunts too.

With regards to luxury hotels in Kowloon, the Peninsula and the Ritz Carlton are probably the most luxurious. If you are looking for a top 5-star hotel on a smaller budget then the Langham, the Intercontinental and the Hotel Icon are all great options in Kowloon.

I stayed at the Intercontinental about 18 months ago. The room decor is a little... brown. But the quality of finish is still high and the view is truly unrivalled. Who cares about the colour of the wallpaper when you have Victoria Harbour framed perfectly in your huge window? I found the service to be excellent and the food was fantastic (particularly the breakfast in the Harbourside restaurant and steak in the Steakhouse. Nice pool too.

I have also stayed in the Langham (note that I am referring to the Langham and not Langham Place). This is a beautiful property in the middle of a high end shopping neighbourhood. It was recently refurbished to a very high standard. The artisian bar is excellent with live lounge music every night. The rooms are actually very good value for Hong Kong. As much as I like this property, I do find it a bit formal. I prefer a bit more atmosphere.

I haven't stayed at the Hotel Icon yet but I'm planning to stay there in April. It's quite unique. It's a teaching and research hotel built for the School of Hotel and Tourism Management by the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. It's basically a training ground which means that the staff are keen to please and the facilities are state of the art. You get Victoria Harbour views from the rooms here. Go for the club privileges - you get so much included and it's currently half price if you book directly. The heated outdoor pool has very nice harbour views - as does the club lounge. It appears to be great value and the reviews are very positive. I wouldn't necessarily say it looks luxurious but it certainly seems to deliver on service and facilities.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold

I would echo those that have suggested that a stay at the IC in Hong Kong in a harbor view room is the way to go. Not as familiar with Singapore, but I found the harbor view rooms at IC to be one of the best values of any hotel I have been in considering the city/location. Had a beautiful view, was in Kowloon so could get more of a local flavor, close to ferry to central, and less expensive than the typical hotels mentioned on this board, RC, MO, etc. Not sure what you are thinking in regards to budget since that means something different for everyone, but perhaps staying at the IC would free up some funds to still stay at a nice place in Singapore as well. Enjoy the trip.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

(all USD)
Grand Deluxe Harbor View room @ Peninsula - $836/night = $2508 plus taxes
Harbor View room @ Intercontinental - $497/night = $1491 plus taxes
Deluxe Harbor View room @ Four Seasons - $645/night = $1935 plus taxes
Harbor Room @ Mandarin Oriental - $619/night + 3rd night free = $1238 plus taxes
Club 38 Harboor Room @ Hotel Icon - $386/night = $1158 plus taxes

+ Fine Hotels and Resorts benefits as I'm booking through there.

I'm leaning towards going with Mandarin Oriental because of the great rate since 3rd night is free. I'll be back in HKG in December and then I can try out the Intercontinental. Hotel Icon sounds great, mslouisebrain. You should definitely tell us about it when you come back from your stay.

Since the June stay is bound to be spent indoors more than the December stay since the June is more humid, I'm springing for the more luxurious but poorer view of MO. Doesn't mean I'm gonna spend all my time at the hotel though.

Does that sound like a good idea? Or do you guys normally find better rates through Virtuoso?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:03 pm

Is the Amex deal not for stays up to 12th April- I'm staying at the MO Singapore on it? For that rate I would choose the MO.

Nothing wrong with going out and about in June - humidity isn't that bad - Singapore is worse!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.