Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Marbella Club vs. Finca Cortesin (vicinity of Malaga, Spain)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marbella Club vs. Finca Cortesin (vicinity of Malaga, Spain)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:46 pm

Finca Cortesin is a bit cut off. When we stayed there a few years ago, we ate in; there's a Spanish restaurant, Japanese (replaced Schilo, which was pretty good) and a cheap and cheerful Italian just outside the hotel proper. Beyond the hotel, there doesn't seem to be much worthwhile within striking distance; you have a feeling of being in this wonderful place, but step outside and you're in the middle of bubblebust Spain - half-finished developments everywhere etc. Maybe things have changed over the last few years, but I doubt it.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:49 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'm going with a bit of a dissenting opinion which I know will be controversial.

I don't know the Finca Cortesin, but I thought the Marbella Club was rather tacky and overpriced for what it was. It had a very American resorty feel to it, whereas for the money (I think it was €500+ for a Junior Suite) I would have expected higher service levels.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I'm going with a bit of a dissenting opinion which I know will be controversial.

I don't know the Finca Cortesin, but I thought the Marbella Club was rather tacky and overpriced for what it was. It had a very American resorty feel to it, whereas for the money (I think it was €500+ for a Junior Suite) I would have expected higher service levels.
No, not controversial at all - you are right! That's why you should stay at Finca Cortesin.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:02 am
Original Poster

If we were to be there from August 1st-6th, would you recommend a car? Are there any day trips to do? Or would the car be good for going out for dinners? We don't golf, so our time won't be spent doing that.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

Hi EuropeanPete, I know what you mean regarding the Marbella Club, very American resort-y feel! I felt like I was in Hawaii! Actually I kinda like the beautifully kept gardens that this entails. I didnt find it tacky but perhaps that was because we were the out of season and it was almost empty so it felt more serene, anyways I forgot to put a link to my review of the MC and the Romano here in case it helps!
http://www.luxurytraveldiary.com/?s=marbella
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:16 pm

Just coming back from Finca Cortesin

We stayed in Pool Suite #45. The hard product is fantastic. Our suite terrace was facing South-West, meaning it was cool with shadow in the morning but very hot in the afternoon. The plunge pool is shallow but we still enjoyed it very much. I guess the pool suite #42 located in the other corner (South-East) and adjacent to the Cortesin Suite offers great views and is probably the best pool suite.

Transfer from/to the airport takes less than 1 hour and is charged at 169 Eur each way (Mercedes Vano / R-Class). The road is in excellent condition and renting a car is an easy option for those who wants to travel around. We chose to remain at the hotel during our whole stay except for a short shopping spree at Puerto Banus. We did not like this small port and I believe there is no interest except for those into golden Audi R8 and ladies in high heels with almost non existent skirts.

With 67 rooms only, so many pools (indoor, outdoor for families, outdoor for adults, beach club, and eventually your private one) and so many dining options the place never feels too crowded.

We had in-room breakfast (everything is a la carte / no buffet), all lunches at the Beach Club (excellent food, nice service -if a bit slow), dinner at Kabuki Raw (fantastic) and El Jardin (food was great but service very average). Each 3-course meal for 2 people including a glass of wine was roughly 200 Eur.

Going to/from the beach club was very quick as we never had to wait for the shuttle. Each time they had a car specially waiting for guests notwithstanding the official 'every 15 minutes'.

The Spa is outstanding, the snow room is fun, therapists have excellent skills, do book your treatment in advance as it seems very successful.

Overall the service is excellent and genuinely attentive and careful. Finca Cortesin is one of the most elegant hotel we stayed at. It reminded us of a mix between Four Seasons Florence and Hotel Bel Air. We loved it!

Last edited by Pierre&Cédric; Jul 20, 2015 at 2:32 pm
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:44 am

Pierre&Cedric I totally agree with you. It is a very special place for Europe. Not too taken with the 'beach', though, although I like the pool & restaurant there.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do all rooms at Finca Cortesin include breakfast? or just certain rates?
Old Mar 30, 2024, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do all rooms at Finca Cortesin include breakfast? or just certain rates?
I don't know for sure, but if you look on the homepage it says "breakfast included" for all available rates and I never saw one without. Which rates are supposed to be excluded?
Apart from that, I remember very clearly that only a limited breakfast was included and almost everything cooked cost extra. That annoyed me to no end at the time.
Satie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.