Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kauai and Maui options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Headed to FS Maui tomorrow for a long weekend. I'll report back, and am hoping for a great time.

However, I was not at all in love with it when I stayed previously … admittedly, this was 5+ years ago.
Could you post during/after your stay? I've s-listed that property for life. We hated it. I'd like to know what has changed. For example, does the (new) adult pool fix the wholesale lack of adequate resources for guests? Is there still a 2+ hr wait for seats in the restaurants? Do the pool attendants still charge for pool lounge chairs? Make sure to note the occupancy levels if possible.

Also, please note if any (unannounced) sitcoms are filming during your stay. THAT, would be bad ...
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Could you post during/after your stay? I've s-listed that property for life. We hated it. I'd like to know what has changed. For example, does the (new) adult pool fix the wholesale lack of adequate resources for guests? Is there still a 2+ hr wait for seats in the restaurants? Do the pool attendants still charge for pool lounge chairs? Make sure to note the occupancy levels if possible.

Also, please note if any (unannounced) sitcoms are filming during your stay. THAT, would be bad ...
Lol, I remembered you had even less love for FS Maui than I. I'm on my phone, so I'll post a real update next week once we are back.

Short story - we're having a lovely time, but many of the issues I've noted before remain.

More next week ...
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:47 pm

I'll appreciate the update as well, since I am headed there in a few weeks. Many thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:51 pm
Original Member

Maui and Kauai?

Big Island does not apply here. But, I guess it will be tossed into the discussion anyhoo.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Wondering if there's any recent stays at Hotel Wailea?

I'm curious if there's a more adult-only or adult-focused hotel on Maui
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by ashap
I am going to be another recommender of the St. Regis on Kauai, it isn't a true 5 star property, but the views really make up for it! It's also the closest to 5 star you will get on the island. The north shore has some great local restaurants as well.

As for Maui - I am leaving the Hyatt Andaz today and in no way would i recommend it if you are looking for a luxury experience. If you just want a Hyatt, it's fine.

We enjoyed our Four Seasons experience on Maui much much much more than this week at the andaz has given us. The four seasons here really has their brand together, the adult pool is fantastic and service is well beyond top notch. At the andaz you get treated to staff bragging about their getting "totally wasted bro" at parties, and telling each other to check out guests asses. It's just well shy of a 5 star experience that I crave on vacation.
OMG how disgusting! They need to retrain their staff if this is the case - would NEVER happen at a Four Seasons (I LOVE four seasons)
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:57 pm

I just got back from Maui, and posted my thoughts about the Montage over here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24313897-post31.html

My quick take is that the Four Seasons is a very nice hotel, the Montage is a much more unique property. Montage is smaller, quieter, more private and isolated. Four Seasons at times feels like a place to "see and be seen," and Montage didn't feel like that to us at all. But there's more to do at and around the Four Seasons, and the food at the Four Seasons is better. For us, we like the Montage much more, but it definitely depends on what you're looking for.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:31 am

Four Seasons Maui

We just returned from our second stay at the Four Seasons Maui. While this is not my favorite Four Seasons, we had an excellent stay. We were in a Garden View Executive Suite however we could see the ocean. The room was in pristine condition.. not a scuff mark on the furniture and was very tasteful. We loved having two balconies, a dining room, living room, huge bedroom and bathroom.. it was lovely!

We didn't experience any problems with getting chairs by any pool. In fact, the only chairs that were hard to get were those in the bushes overlooking Wailea Beach. That is our preferred spot so if you want them be sure to be up at 7am. While I understand it bothers people that the good chairs are gone early.. you just have to expect it. There was always plenty of availability at the Serenity Pool and Fountain Pool.

We experienced the excellent poolside service that the Four Seasons on Maui is famous for. The only property which we think has them beat is the Rosewood Mayakoba. We loved the F&B at the hotel.. had a fantastic meal at Spago and Ferraro's. Also the new Short Rib pizza on the serenity pool menu is out of this world! We had no service issues at all during our stay. Overall service at the resort, from housekeeping to F&B was excellent.

We did visit the new Andaz property as we had friends staying there. It was not impressive and the comment about the Frat atmosphere is spot on. The whole place didn't have the polish of the Four Seasons. That being said we did enjoy a meal at K'aana Kitchen. It was excellent.

For us being from New York, Hawaii is a far way to go and while beautiful we much prefer Anguilla or St. John as they are closer to home with spectacular beaches. We did go up to Kapalua and it was pouring rain.. and when we drove back to Wailea it was perfectly sunny so if you plan on going to Maui, I think the Four Seasons is the top spot!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cardboard55
I just got back from Maui, and posted my thoughts about the Montage over here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24313897-post31.html

My quick take is that the Four Seasons is a very nice hotel, the Montage is a much more unique property. Montage is smaller, quieter, more private and isolated. Four Seasons at times feels like a place to "see and be seen," and Montage didn't feel like that to us at all. But there's more to do at and around the Four Seasons, and the food at the Four Seasons is better. For us, we like the Montage much more, but it definitely depends on what you're looking for.
Such a personal decision! The Montage is located on the windier side of the Island which is not so great, although I don't disagree that the Four Seasons is more of a people watching place. Then again I'm used to Capri Square which is a whole other level of people watching so I find the Four Seasons comparatively relaxed. Just slip on your Rolex and Louboutins and you will fit right in!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:55 pm

Yup, the weather is definitely the biggest downside (though oddly on this trip, our windiest day was actually at the FS!).
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:17 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
IMO, the FS Maui is the best hotel across Maui and Kauai, the two islands OP mentions.

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Still trolling about the FS Maui when you admittedly haven't been there in how many years? It seems to me your "questions" have been addressed in other threads on multiple occasions.

Originally Posted by trickless
Just wanted to say thanks to this thread, I've scheduled a Hawaii trip for our family next month. Because I've got two smallish children, I chose Maui over my second choice of Big Island. FS Wailea it is! I was tempted on FS Hualalai but given the age of my children, thought Wailea was a better choice. There's always next time!
FS Maui is a great hotel if you have kids, but I'll plug FS Hualalai as being even better. We have regularly stayed at both since our children were babies, and we prefer Hualalai in probably every category. Give it a try next time, and try to stay by the Seashell pool. FS Punta Mita is great, too.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by nnn
Still trolling about the FS Maui when you admittedly haven't been there in how many years? It seems to me your "questions" have been addressed in other threads on multiple occasions
Thanks for asking, but reviews here for FS Maui are still decidedly mixed.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by nnn
FS Maui is a great hotel if you have kids, but I'll plug FS Hualalai as being even better. We have regularly stayed at both since our children were babies, and we prefer Hualalai in probably every category. Give it a try next time, and try to stay by the Seashell pool. FS Punta Mita is great, too.
The reason I chose FS Maui with our kids was for the more accessible (existing?) beach at FS Maui vs Hualalai. It was a hard choice, because I think I'd have preferred Big Island and the feedback on Hualalai is impeccable. However, we have a pool at home and a long swimming season here. The beach holds a lot of interest for my kids, so I wanted to ensure we had a chance to enjoy it.

We leave in a week and I'll be sure to update this thread on how it goes.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:59 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by trickless
The reason I chose FS Maui with our kids was for the more accessible (existing?) beach at FS Maui vs Hualalai. It was a hard choice, because I think I'd have preferred Big Island and the feedback on Hualalai is impeccable. However, we have a pool at home and a long swimming season here. The beach holds a lot of interest for my kids, so I wanted to ensure we had a chance to enjoy it.

We leave in a week and I'll be sure to update this thread on how it goes.
True, FS Maui hands-down has a better beach and ocean swimming. That's not our thing, so not a factor in our calculus, but if that's important to you, you made a good choice.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nnn
Still trolling about the FS Maui when you admittedly haven't been there in how many years? It seems to me your "questions" have been addressed in other threads on multiple occasions.
Jul 11, 2012 >

Originally Posted by ainternational
on Maui. Recently completed at stay at the FS...

Securing a seat / lounge chair at the Serenity Pool is getting absolutely ridiculous. Not only were the private cabanas (which are pricey but I was willing to pay) sold out well in advance of my queries, even getting normal chairs is a game. There was a line of no less than 35-40 males (women in rooms? ;-) ) as the pool opened at 7:30am (?) daily. By the time I arrived after breakfast, more casually, at 8am, I put my name on the list for two chairs. I was called at 4:30pm when something became available. Unbelievable. My suggestion to the FS Maui is to restrict access to those lounge chairs for a max number of hours when there is a waiting list.
some good news for FS hualalai - Jan 22, 2014 >

Originally Posted by ClefsDor
Weve just returned from 8 nights at the Four Seasons Hualalai

tranquility pool/adults only pool. There are only about 24 chairs around this pool

At the adults only pool they were very strict about not reserving chairs for more than 15 minutes outside of 11.30-2.30 where you can leave them vacant

some people around the tranquility pool were very aware of the 15 minute rule. In one instance a gentleman sat in the pool keeping an eagle eye out for any one who was absent for 16 minutes at which time he pounced on the staff to remove them so he could take the chairs
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post22924668

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.