The Point, Saranac, New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Point, Saranac, New York

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by xray
We stayed in Sentinel and loved it. I didn't really like the rooms in the main lodge all that much. Boathouse is gorgeous but a bit on the pricey side IMO. The guesthouse is a bit further of a walk...

Anyhow no need to overthink... you will love the Point.

For those reading who think this is totally a camp-y experience, it is whatever you want it to be. It isn't one of those places where you feel like you are alone but you don't have to mingle the whole time. When we stayed, we all ditched the black tie requirement as no one was really that interested...
Thanks. Not overthinking this, I just want to make sure we're shacking up in the right room.

I'm going to call tomorrow and ask about Weatherwatch since it seems to be the forum favorite. Do all of the buildings date to relatively the same era or are some of them newer constructions?

I'm just curious what specifically you didn't like about the main lodge?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by OliverB
Thanks. Not overthinking this, I just want to make sure we're shacking up in the right room.

I'm going to call tomorrow and ask about Weatherwatch since it seems to be the forum favorite. Do all of the buildings date to relatively the same era or are some of them newer constructions?

Rooms seemed smaller...one room opens up onto deck which is also a public area. The rooms in the other buildings are more private. I just lucked into my room since they were all booked up and it was more expensive than the smaller rooms so it was still available.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rooms seemed smaller...one room opens up onto deck which is also a public area. The rooms in the other buildings are more private.
good details!

anyone heard what month is lowest occupancy?

and boathouse room is not available all winter?
(not available online after second week in nov)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 19, 2016 at 3:52 pm
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c

I wouldn't characterize any as "new", but i'd say the rooms above the pub (sentinel, lookout and i forget the third one) seemed slightly fresher.

I'd wager lowest occupancy period is winter
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:53 pm

Thanks very much.

What time of year have you visited, for all of you who've been?

Does anyone feel that late-Sept. into Oct. would be wasted, since the temperatures wouldn't allow for much lakefront sport? Does it matter?

Also, 3 nights too short? Should I add on a 4th?

Last edited by OliverB; Jul 19, 2016 at 2:27 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:19 pm
Original Member

We stayed in Sentinel and loved it. I didn't really like the rooms in the main lodge all that much. Boathouse is gorgeous but a bit on the pricey side IMO. The guesthouse is a bit further of a walk...

Anyhow no need to overthink... you will love the Point.

For those reading who think this is totally a camp-y experience, it is whatever you want it to be. It isn't one of those places where you feel like you are alone but you don't have to mingle the whole time. When we stayed, we all ditched the black tie requirement as no one was really that interested...
How many stairs up to Sentinel?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:44 am

Thanks very much.

What time of year have you visited, for all of you who've been?

Does anyone feel that late-Sept. into Oct. would be wasted, since the temperatures wouldn't allow for much lakefront sport? Does it matter?

Also, 3 nights too short? Should I add on a 4th?

Fall is beautiful in upper NY state so no worries there. I don't think I would stay 4 nights as I would think that was too long but it's a personal thing. Three sounds perfect. We stayed two nights and another night wouldn't have been a bad thing.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by KatW

This is the only bad thing KatW... it is at least 8 or 9 steps so it's not accessible. Main lodge would likely be best for accessibility. Guest house is fine too but is a little walk from main lodge where meals are served.

I became much more finely attuned to accessible accomodations when I broke my ankle a few winters ago. I still wanted to travel so had to adapt but it was an adventure to say the least. My husband had to push me around in a wheelchair in Philadelphia where I wanted to attend a concert... doesn't sound taxing except for the fact that we live near Toronto so I had to get myself there first. The lift in the Hyatt Philly was more like a cargo lift and there were a few hard curbs on the way to the hall.

Even now for our 9 year dog with disc issues, he wouldn't be able to stay in Sentinel again...
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Originally Posted by KatW
15-20
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:10 pm
Original Member

Thank you DrGiggles and xray.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:05 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Fall is beautiful in upper NY state so no worries there. I don't think I would stay 4 nights as I would think that was too long but it's a personal thing. Three sounds perfect. We stayed two nights and another night wouldn't have been a bad thing.
I agree: 4 nights sounds too long. I think late Sept will be beautiful. The rooms in the main house are definitely smaller and less private.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:12 am

Sorry to bring this old thread up, but any recent winter stays? Looking to go somewhere 2-3 nights between Xmas and NY, and wondering if there's anything to do here, other than relax, if we're not skiers. I suppose Lake Placid Lodge could also be an option, but the recent negative reviews do not give me confidence there. Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:17 pm

There is likely snow shoeing and hiking on the grounds. They used to have Stave puzzles weekends. It’s about 45 minutes to Lake Placid where you can look at the Olympic Facilities. The Olympic bob sled experience is absolutely thrilling.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:34 pm

Thanks! That's what it seems to be from their site, which is fine for me. The bob sled experience does look amazing, as well. Definitely will look into that.
LinLant likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:37 pm

I think it was the most exciting thing I have ever done in my life. We did it 38+ years ago, and I still have a smile on my face thinking about the exhilaration! I hope it is still as exciting as it was all those years ago.
NotALawyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.