Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

New Amanresorts, GHM and Ahn Luh (2015 edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Amanresorts, GHM and Ahn Luh (2015 edition)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Aman Playa Grande on its way...

Gallivanter's is tweeting, that Aman Playa Grande seems to be well on it's way, on the basis of Zechas original concept, with an anticipated opening date in Dec 2015. Good news indeed!

http://twitter.com/gallivanters/stat...18430092591104
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by deer
Gallivanter's is tweeting, that Aman Playa Grande seems to be well on it's way, on the basis of Zechas original concept[/url]
What can we expect? What was the original concept?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Amanshima

In the other thread, Kage indirectly linked an article about Aman Tokyo, where Aman-CEO Olivier Jolivet talked about up to four openings this year, including here well known Amandayan, Aman Playa Grande and, very interestingly, an Amanresort in Shima, Japan.

Whilst we rumored here about a possible Aman in nearby Ise province, the Shima Aman is a completely new mentioning - the more surprising, that he talked about it in the context of "this year".

Regarding Portugal, surprisingly he does not talk about already sketched Amanduna in Comporta, but about one in "Portugal’s Alentejo region".

The six Aman Gabon lodges are still planned for next year. Jolivet: ´A very complex project because we will be operating in some very remote places that at the moment can only be accessed by elephant, so it is taking a bit of time.´

Lastly he talks about plans for "South America" (most likely the Brazil project south of Rio, which seemed nearly completed some time ago and then dissapeared in the fog) and, as frequently quoted lately, the article talks about Aman investor Doronins plans for City Amans in London, New York, Paris, Hong Kong and Singapore.

A very interesting read indeed!

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/2138c...#axzz3P1LoQMX9

Last edited by deer; Jan 16, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:01 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Amanwana has a new cruiser now.

http://www.amanresorts.com/amanwana/amandira.aspx
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

still charter only (whereas can book a cabin on alila)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 19, 2015 at 8:22 pm
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:47 am
Original Poster

More on Amanshima

Gallivanter's found the following piece about Amanshima:

http://asia.nikkei.com/Japan-Update/...-central-Japan

- Construction underway for opening in 2016.

- Within the premises of already beautiful looking Nemuno Sato Hotel & Resort (http://www.nemunosato.com/en/)

- Mitsui Fudosan, which operates the resort, invited Aman to participate.

- Overlooking Ago Bay off the Pacific

- Low-rise buildings with about a dozen guest rooms each, along with restaurants and other facilities.

- The final name ist not deceided yet (Amanshima is just my nickname for it by now...)

PS: 5 hours by train from Tokyo https://goo.gl/maps/n8ksD

Last edited by deer; Jan 21, 2015 at 3:53 am
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:44 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by deathscar
Thanks.

Has anyone on FT been on Amanikan for either Komodo or Raja Ampat expeditions? We've been to Amanwana and had a disappointing dive experience (May 2009) but have salivated over Amanikan (and now Amandira) ever since...perhaps for our 20th anniversary trip or my 50th bday trip in the coming years.

Would also be very interested in a diving quality/overall comparison between FS Explorer in Maldives vs Amanikan if anyone has one.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:48 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Been waiting for Lijiang for a while - wasn't it set to open in mid-2014? That's what I had heard when I was last at Amanfayun.

I'm glad I delayed my Lijiang trip though. Will go when the new Aman opens.
Lijiang is becoming a VERY crowded tourist trap, so I might recommend not waiting for Aman--since its open date is so unclear. We visited in 2012 and loved it, but it already was increasing vastly in tourists, and friends in China tell me it's gotten much more crowded in the past 2 years.

I did see the Aman construction--lovely spot overlooking the old town. We stayed at the Banyan Tree (which was just OK).
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks.

Has anyone on FT been on Amanikan for either Komodo or Raja Ampat expeditions? We've been to Amanwana and had a disappointing dive experience (May 2009) but have salivated over Amanikan (and now Amandira) ever since...perhaps for our 20th anniversary trip or my 50th bday trip in the coming years.

Would also be very interested in a diving quality/overall comparison between FS Explorer in Maldives vs Amanikan if anyone has one.

I have been on Amanikan for the Komodo cruise and Alila Purnama for Raja Ampat. I found Raja Ampat has better coral and higher concentration of marine life. You also get the chance to see birds of paradise on West Papua islands. Having said that, I also enjoyed seeing Komodo dragons. You can't go wrong with either places if you are into wildlife.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:24 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by KrazeeJoe
I have been on Amanikan for the Komodo cruise and Alila Purnama for Raja Ampat. I found Raja Ampat has better coral and higher concentration of marine life. You also get the chance to see birds of paradise on West Papua islands. Having said that, I also enjoyed seeing Komodo dragons. You can't go wrong with either places if you are into wildlife.
Thanks for that. How do you compare the experience on board between the Amanikan and Alila Purnama ships?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Posted somewhere that this Aman is on hold indefinitely due to the unstable situation in the region .
Ian W is now GM , Jiwo
Re: Amanbadu in Jordan
Right, the property itself is ready for business but opening has been postponed due to the security situation in the region. They could open it within 3-4 months notice but they don't expect this to happen within the next 2-3 years unfortunately.

Last edited by ngfan; Feb 12, 2015 at 9:30 am
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Heard that Aman Bora Bora would reopen when the main road close by had been relocated inland away from the resort as it posed a major nuisance to guests. Relocation permit of the road is a political thing and difficult to obtain and maintain in this part of the world After the permit may be given eventually, they expect a re-opening four years later (!)...
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks ngfan. at least good to hear re amanbadu construction. might be about 10 miles from syrian border. seems about 1 hour from amman.

Originally Posted by landing

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 13, 2015 at 2:19 pm
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:25 pm

Amandayan is open

We are told that Amandayan has opened this week.

http://www.amanresorts.com/amandayan/home.aspx
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of the quotes are a little worrying: http://www.ttgdigital.com/ttg-luxury...695113.article

Gabon is still on the drawing board.

Jolivet added the group was also looking at several projects in Mozambique and said a project combining a tented camp in the Galapagos with a hotel in Ecuador’s Quito would also be desirable, as would projects in Mexico and Peru.
Originally Posted by bawatours
We are told that Amandayan has opened this week.

http://www.amanresorts.com/amandayan/home.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.