Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Any FHR/Virtuoso hotel in Shanghai that routinely upgrades to Exec/Club floor ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond

Does someone know a hotel in Shanghai that normally upgrades FHR or Virtuoso customers to Exec/Club floor ?

I know that Ritz Pudong doesn't - but then I know quite a few in different cities that do. Any experience in Shanghai ?

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:31 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The current Ritz STARS offer at Pudong includes a confirmed upgrade at time of booking.... I see no reason why you can't go from top level room to club level, but the wording of the offer is vague. The Ritz also has a 3rd night free offer on suites which include club access in most cases.

Four Seasons Pudong seems to have a 3rd night complimentary offer via FHR and Pref Partner Agents.... Not sure about MO under FANClub or Virtuoso, but FHR seems to have the 3for2 as well
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
The current Ritz STARS offer at Pudong includes a confirmed upgrade at time of booking.... I see no reason why you can't go from top level room to club level, but the wording of the offer is vague. The Ritz also has a 3rd night free offer on suites which include club access in most cases.

Four Seasons Pudong seems to have a 3rd night complimentary offer via FHR and Pref Partner Agents.... Not sure about MO under FANClub or Virtuoso, but FHR seems to have the 3for2 as well
Thanks ABG

Do you have access to book trough STARS ? The funny thing with Ritz Pudong is that Shanghai Bund View room - which appears to be the room category below the Club Deluxe is priced exactly the same as the latter

I would be curios to understand which room need to be booked in order to get the Club Deluxe. I have to admit that while I know about STARS existence, I never used it. Does it come with benefits similar to FHR ?

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:06 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
I have to admit that while I know about STARS existence, I never used it. Does it come with benefits similar to FHR ?
Ritz STARS perks generally stack with the Virtuoso F&B or Spa credits... I can't speak to FHR as I don't work with/for Amex.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
A club upgrade for me every time at the Ritz Portman (better location than Pudong) when booking via FHR. And free breakfast in the restaurant, F&B credit, etc. ^
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
A club upgrade for me every time at the Ritz Portman (better location than Pudong) when booking via FHR. And free breakfast in the restaurant, F&B credit, etc. ^
Thanks stimpy,that's useful.I never stayed in Portman,it looks old and "cheap" - at least that the sense the photos give me.
And location : I quite like the Pudong location,modern and quiet on week-ends
Still,very useful info.Would be very interested to know if same happens in Pudong FS,MO,Shangri-la if someone have experience!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
Thanks stimpy,that's useful.I never stayed in Portman,it looks old and "cheap" - at least that the sense the photos give me.
And location : I quite like the Pudong location,modern and quiet on week-ends
Still,very useful info.Would be very interested to know if same happens in Pudong FS,MO,Shangri-la if someone have experience!
It is an older hotel, but not at all cheap! It has probably the best Italian restaurant in town if you like that, and the Sunday brunch is legendary. But yes if you want quiet on the weekends, Pudong would be better. It's a ghost-town in comparison to the area around the Portman.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
It is an older hotel, but not at all cheap! It has probably the best Italian restaurant in town if you like that, and the Sunday brunch is legendary. But yes if you want quiet on the weekends, Pudong would be better. It's a ghost-town in comparison to the area around the Portman.
Both of these statements are extremly subjective The Portman, however, is in the best location of all the FHR hotels as far as proximity to the heart of Shanghai. That being said, if you want a quiet weekend then Pudong is the place to be. I've done the MO a few times through FHR and always received an upgrade to a huge room, but never to a club floor without paying for a club room initially. If the Portman is offering an upgrade to club rooms on all FHR bookings, I'll have to try it out. Despite living only a block away...I'll have to convince the misses to give it a go for a weekend staycation "away"
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Both of these statements are extremly subjective The Portman, however, is in the best location of all the FHR hotels as far as proximity to the heart of Shanghai. That being said, if you want a quiet weekend then Pudong is the place to be. I've done the MO a few times through FHR and always received an upgrade to a huge room, but never to a club floor without paying for a club room initially. If the Portman is offering an upgrade to club rooms on all FHR bookings, I'll have to try it out. Despite living only a block away...I'll have to convince the misses to give it a go for a weekend staycation "away"
I'll qualify two things. One, at the times I've stayed the restaurants were objectively great. Lots of posts here on Flyertalk about the sunday brunch at the Portman compared to all the other top hotels in town for instance. Moondog for instance knows the Shanghai scene very well and has made plenty of posts about the restaurants. But restaurants go up and down over the years so I can't say for sure that it is still the case. Is there a new Italian in town that is better?

And regarding FHR, I'm Centurion and CTS bookings in the case of some hotels get better bennies than PTS bookings. Usually with Ritz and MO I'm upgraded at time of booking thus I know what level to book into to get a Club upgrade. And sometimes I'm upgraded further at check in.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The former StR (now Hongta) used to give lounge access with FHR bookings, but its lounge has declined considerably.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.