Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas (to become Waldorf-Astoria)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Checked into the Madarin Oriental in Las Vegas last night. Things are usually pretty quiet in Vegas until Friday. It looks like they may be using this quiet time to perform some maintenance. Just got up to prepare for my 6am helicopter tour and they have The water turned off. No toilets or showers. Brushing my teeth with bottled water. They say it won't be back on until 6am. Not how I wanted to start my day.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Centurion
Nice property but I had numerous issues when I stayed there a few years ago. Mostly service related. Doubt I would go back.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:31 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by kmkord
Checked into the Madarin Oriental in Las Vegas last night. Things are usually pretty quiet in Vegas until Friday. It looks like they may be using this quiet time to perform some maintenance. Just got up to prepare for my 6am helicopter tour and they have The water turned off. No toilets or showers. Brushing my teeth with bottled water. They say it won't be back on until 6am. Not how I wanted to start my day.
Unless it was an unforeseen problem that required emergency action, that is ridiculous and totally unacceptable - who heard of any hotel let alone a MO making all toilets unavailable - these are things that are needed 24/7

If maintenance is required a back up system should be available, if that means reduced capacity then they should reduce hotel occupancy to a suitable level during that time.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by kmkord
Brushing your teeth with bottled water is part of the luxury experience at MO LAS
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:41 pm

That sounds rather unusual. Certainly not what you want to happen at a five star hotel. I've stayed there many times and had great service. Of course, the toilet always flushed.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 7:59 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I once experienced that there was maintenance work related to water supply in a luxury hotel. This was in the FS George V. The work happened during the night and I was informed during check in and with a note left at turn down. Of course they need to be able to repair such things, but the least they could do would be to inform you properly. In your situation, I would complain. If you would have known during check in, you would have been able to consider changing hotel in order to get your early morning shower. If it was something urgent that suddenly came up, they should at least have been very apologetic when you asked about the missing water and have offered you some kind of compensation.

That being said, the service we got when we stayed there this summer was absolutely fantastic so I am surprised to hear about your experience.

Last edited by Musken; Nov 29, 2014 at 12:55 am
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:17 am

Probably at 4 or 5 am, they don't have their most experienced staff on duty
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:27 am
Suspended

Interesting experience - quite terrible actually - but I suspect this was the exception, not the rule.

While I've heard some "just OKs" regarding their lower cat rooms, and some spotty service "off hours" - I've heard only good things about this hotel.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:02 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I make this my default residence in LV. While service isn't at the level of the MO-Tokyo or MO-HKG, across probably half a dozen stays, I've never had an issue. The OP's experience, while far from ideal, isn't representative of the vast majority of stays.

While I enjoy gaming, I appreciate having a non-gaming environment to retreat to while in town.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker

While I enjoy gaming, I appreciate having a non-gaming environment to retreat to while in town.
For me it's the opposite : I don't enjoy gaming, however I appreciate having a gaming environment around me
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:06 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Virtuoso upgrade from Premier Room to Strip View Suite chances?

Hi everyone! We will be at the MO from May 29-31 (Fr-Sun) for a bachelor party (at the Cosmopolitan, but we can't stomach that hotel after a disastrous stay 3 years ago). Using Virtuoso for Premier Room booking, but hoping for a Strip View Suite upgrade. Any idea on the chances for that?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Hi everyone! We will be at the MO from May 29-31 (Fr-Sun) for a bachelor party (at the Cosmopolitan, but we can't stomach that hotel after a disastrous stay 3 years ago). Using Virtuoso for Premier Room booking, but hoping for a Strip View Suite upgrade. Any idea on the chances for that?
Slim I would say from previous experiences. MOLV is very lame with upgrades on MO Fan Club or Virtuoso bookings. And front desk staff used to be the weakest spot in most if not all my previous stays (in stark contrast to FSLV btw) at an otherwise cheerful and very nice property.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:30 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ngfan
Slim I would say from previous experiences. MOLV is very lame with upgrades on MO Fan Club or Virtuoso bookings. And front desk staff used to be the weakest spot in most if not all my previous stays (in stark contrast to FSLV btw) at an otherwise cheerful and very nice property.
Well, we are happy with the Premier Room…which is all we're paying for. But crossing our fingers. I'm a very straightforward person, so I can always press if I find online availability for Strip View Suites before check-in. :-)
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:27 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I just returned from the MOLV last week. I had heard that they were quite stingy with upgrades but they did upgrade us. Unfortunately, I had only booked a cityscape room and the upgrade was to a strip view room, which honestly isn't much of an upgrade. They were however sold out that night, so I appreciate that they were still able to upgrade me.

EDIT: just read this. Looks like there isn't an upgrade to a suite from a premier room per virtuoso.
Click on hotel info...

FDW

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Mar 8, 2015 at 8:28 pm
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:05 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Well, we are happy with the Premier Room…which is all we're paying for. But crossing our fingers. I'm a very straightforward person, so I can always press if I find online availability for Strip View Suites before check-in. :-)
I've been here several times and find the upgrade policy to be extremely tight.

FDW points out that you are in a non-upgradable room!

I've booked their junior suites before. It is actually the same footprint as a regular suite, just limited to low floors. I've found that to be the best QPR for my needs. If you don't get upgraded, your view is of the driveway to the Aria...but the room is quite spacious!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.