Dubai - Luxury but not over the top

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EX DL DM. Free Agent Flier. Virtuoso TA & Every single hotel affiliation out there.

Planning my honeymoon!!

And will have a quick layover on the way back to the US in Dubai.

Will land in Dubai at 2:05 AM.
Will wake up in a few hours to go up to the Burj for a peek before leaving Dubai.

So I'd like a nice hotel... and central - but nothing over the top as it would only be for a few hours. But still luxury as it will be for a honeymoon.

Suggestions?
(And none about changing the flights - unfortunately no way to change those!)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Really would not fuss too much if it is just a few hours. Almost any luxury hotel in Dubai will do the job.

No point staying anywhere further down than the Burj when coming from the airport though. Decent luxury options would be (all inbetween DXB and the Burj)

Park Hyatt
InterCon Festival City
Grand Hyatt
Raffles
Jumeirah Emirates Towers
Conrad
Ritz Carlton

The Armani is inside the Burj and the Address is directly opposite it, so you would save 2 taxi rides by doing one of those. That is probably best choice so you can wake up, do the Burj, see the afternoon dancing fountain show, tramp around the worlds biggest shopping centre then jump in a cab back to the airport.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
The problem is of course that the perception of "luxury" in the UAE is to be "over the top" . One can only hope that this will change with the new GHMs opening in the area.

What time is your departing flight? In any case I would suggest you avoid the Palm. Since you want to see the Burj (I assume Khalifa and not Al Arab) you could stay at the Armani (inside the Burj), the Address Downtown, the Address at Emirates Mall, the Shangri-La or the Oberoi Dubai. None of them would be particularly high on my list if I were visiting Dubai (as most UAE hotels they are soulless) but they will fit your purpose well as they are relatively close to both the Burj and the airport. I would probably rank the Address Emirates Mall as my least favourite of the above.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Armani would be very convenient for Burj. It´s not my favourite hotel and definitively not over the top, but for a one night stay or even a few hours it`s good enough. They include also airport transfer if you don`t fly EK Business or First.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:10 am

Sarah - If your sole sightseeing target is the Burj, then why not stay there? The last time we were in Dubai we stayed at the lowish-key Ritz Carlton which we liked far more than Dubai itself which is basically bling central.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Sarah - If your sole sightseeing target is the Burj, then why not stay there? The last time we were in Dubai we stayed at the lowish-key Ritz Carlton which we liked far more than Dubai itself which is basically bling central.
Agreed on all points but there are two RCs in Dubai. One in Dubai Marina, which could be rather inconvenient considering the distance from the airport and Dubai traffic, and the other in DIFC. I really like RC DIFC (even though I rarely like RCs). The thing is that DIFC is like Canary Wharf, only worse.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sarahlee
Planning my honeymoon!!

And will have a quick layover on the way back to the US in Dubai.

Will land in Dubai at 2:05 AM.
Will wake up in a few hours to go up to the Burj for a peek before leaving Dubai.

So I'd like a nice hotel... and central - but nothing over the top as it would only be for a few hours. But still luxury as it will be for a honeymoon.

Suggestions?
(And none about changing the flights - unfortunately no way to change those!)
Congrats on the wedding & honeymoon, Sarah!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: QR - plat (OWE), AI - Maharajah (* gold), Bonvoy - plat, HH - gold, Shangri La - jade, Sixt - plat
I travel to DXB frequently and usually stay in the downtown (Bhurj Khalifa) area. After several wonderful stays at the RC DIFC and the Address Downtown, I've switched loyalties to the Oberoi - great hotel and understated luxury, esp by DXB standards. I also like the Park Hyatt and Raffles, both between the airport and the Bhurj.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Al Qasr at Madinat Jumeirah, or the Park Hyatt maybe?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by wolf539
Al Qasr at Madinat Jumeirah, or the Park Hyatt maybe?
Al Qasr is a waste on a stay of under 24 hours. You would never have the time to see even 20% of the resort. It also involves driving past the Burj by about 15 minutes so taking another 30 minutes out of a very short holiday already.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: EX DL DM. Free Agent Flier. Virtuoso TA & Every single hotel affiliation out there.
Thanks for all the suggestions - I've now narrowed it down to either the Address Downtown or the Oberoi! Both have reasonable rates for the night and can still expect 5 star luxury and service. If only they had luxury hotels by the hour
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by Raffles
Al Qasr is a waste on a stay of under 24 hours. You would never have the time to see even 20% of the resort.
Excellent point... Don't know how I missed the short time frame?

I'm considering Al Qasr for two nights in January. Or maybe the new Four Seasons...
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wolf539
Excellent point... Don't know how I missed the short time frame?

I'm considering Al Qasr for two nights in January. Or maybe the new Four Seasons...
If I had more time, the 4S would be first on my list to check out. All the pictures make it stand out - not as gaudy as the rest!! The intro rates (added FSPP benefits) are really really great too.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by sarahlee
Thanks for all the suggestions - I've now narrowed it down to either the Address Downtown or the Oberoi! Both have reasonable rates for the night and can still expect 5 star luxury and service. If only they had luxury hotels by the hour
I've enjoyed our suites at The Address - Downtown. Service is more 4* than 5*, but it's a great location, and views over the fountains to the Burg Khalifa are fantastic.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:14 am

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
If you want to see the Burj, why not stay there? It is your honeymoon after all....and you established cost not being a factor in your Maldives thread.

This way, when you see it's iconic silhouette in the future, you'll always have the memory of your night there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.