Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Money (& time) no object - where would you fly off to tomorrow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Money (& time) no object - where would you fly off to tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:31 am

Actually a topic I have given a lot of thoughts to and I have lists after lists of "places to see in a lifetime". For me, it is not just the location but also what one will be doing, who I am with, and when I am there. As an example, going to Bhutan is definitely on the list for me but it would be made especially special if I am there on a photographic expedition with a Nat Geo photographer and a group of fellow enthusiasts and not during the monsoon and winter.

Say if you have no budget and time constraint, seasonality and special events should be the top concern. After all, you can only see cherry blossom within a single week or so in Kyoto each year no matter how rich you are. World Cup Final only happens once every 4 years.....

Experiences/Places that are still on the To Do list are:
- see Northern Lights
- see Machu Picchu
- Bhutan
- Africa safari
- Bay of Fire Walk in Tasmania
- Rafting in Grand Canyon
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Bhutan is definitely on the list for me but it would be made especially special if I am there on a photographic expedition with a Nat Geo photographer
btw >

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
guest at kora
http://www.amanresorts.com/exclusive...&LangType=1033
http://www.amanresorts.com/uploadedF...ourney2014.pdf
11-20 February 2014 • Limited Availability

join acclaimed photographer Basil Pao...took the photos for the books that accompanied...BBC travel documentaries...also the author of ‘China Revealed’, ‘Hands’, ‘Yi Jing – The Book of Changes’ and numerous other photographic books, including Aman’s Bhutan book and two anniversary books.

...Basil will share his travel experiences and photographic tips during informal workshops and outdoor excursions. Many of these will be at sunrise and sunset when the light is particularly good. Participants should be competent with their own equipment, as the journey will be more about opening eyes to photographic possibilities than dwelling on technical details.
http://travel.cnn.com/hong-kong/play...rything-590040
http://thefreemanview.com/featured_p...pao-interview/
http://www.basilpao.com/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 20, 2014 at 2:14 pm
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
India and Australia would be on the top of my list.
Mostly because of the time component. I imagine both countries could keep me interested for a month and I never get that much time off!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Yes, of course, how plebian of me. My first experience of this world was when I hosted a dinner party for the legendary movie producer Dino de Laurentiis. After my little soiree he was flying back to New York from London and I asked him what time his plane was leaving and he said, "When I get there."
I LOVE it, thats the life isnt it!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:03 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by HKTraveler
Actually a topic I have given a lot of thoughts to and I have lists after lists of "places to see in a lifetime". For me, it is not just the location but also what one will be doing, who I am with, and when I am there. As an example, going to Bhutan is definitely on the list for me but it would be made especially special if I am there on a photographic expedition with a Nat Geo photographer and a group of fellow enthusiasts and not during the monsoon and winter.
This is a bit off topic, but I will say that Bhutan is perhaps the most amazing country I've been to up to now. Do it.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:36 pm
Original Member

Peru!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Talking Charity Auction Prizes - I am now notching up ideas for MY next holiday!

Wow, How interesting and what a lovely list!
No one has mentioned the Caribbean or Hawaii or a Ski trip!
Clearly dream destinations are a little more far flung. I have a superb Safari to add to my online Charity Auction prize list that fits.
Maldives and French Polynesia - I have one luxury stay in each
But it looks like I need to source a couple more exotic destinations before the charity launch on 1st Jan to tempt people to bid!

Keep those ideas coming, it is completely inspiring to hear these ideas regardless of the Auction - gets me dreaming!

Collated the list so far:
see Northern Lights
see Machu Picchu
Bhutan
Africa safari (auction prize sorted)
Bay of Fire Walk in Tasmania
Rafting in Grand Canyon
Peru
India
Australia
a private Amanikan cruise with family and friends.
French Polynesia/ Fiji (Lucala Island) (auction prize sorted in Taveuni)
Australia including centre
Thailand
Bali
Botswana
Amankora for 2+ weeks with trekking.
Amanbagh and Karala area for 1 week.
Seychelles, maybe North Island
Safari in Tanzania -- Faru Faru and ???
Finish in Amanwana on Amanikan for a week.
Maldives (auction prize sorted at lux Coco resort)
Antartica
Morocco
St. Petersburg
Chengdu
Canary Islands
St Andrews and Scotland beyond Edinburgh and Glasgow (single malt scotch trails), among places I haven't been.
Istanbul
Singapore
Japan
Hong Kong
Paris
Copenhagen
Lisbon
Munich/Salzberg
Driving through villages and wine tasting in Europe, Switzerland,…..
South America
Then all those tiny islands in the middle of nowhere.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:08 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Some intriguing places mentioned here. I think my #1 choice would be Sossusvlei in Namibia. Or Easter Island.

Cheers,
T.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:59 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

A member has pointed out that this thread is simply a long list of destinations that people would like to visit and it has few connections to luxury level accommodation or experiences.

We temporarily closed the thread for review and on further review, the mods have together decided that this thread has run its course and should remain closed.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 24, 2014 at 4:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.