Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Short Stay - Campton Place, Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, Fairmont

San Francisco Short Stay - Campton Place, Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, Fairmont

Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:01 am
formerly known as deathscar
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

Disclaimer: I was hosted on a complimentary basis at Campton Place, Ritz Carlton and Mandarin Oriental. I paid the full rate at Fairmont.

Was in San Francisco for just over a week. I didn't have much time to spend at the hotels (any of them really) and didn't get to try their respective restaurants/spas, but here's what I garnered from my short stays in those respective hotels:

Taj Campton Place - deluxe king

Positives:
Service. It's top notch and spot on, and what I expect from the top-tier Taj hotels (e.g. the Falaknuma, Rambagh, Umaid Bhawan, Lake Palace etc). I was most surprised.
The boutique nature of the hotel is rather welcoming, marking the hotel much more like a residence/home than a check-in/check-out hotel. It was the hotel at which I felt most at a home.
The outdoor/terraced gym, which is probably one of the most stunning gyms anywhere. I do feel this could be better utilised as something else though - perhaps a bar or lounge.
Molton Brown amenities in-room. Lovely.
In-room breakfast
Something resembling a view - not the best view, but very 'urban'.

Negatives:
Room layout, design, decor and upkeep are very dated and due a refurbish (very urgently, in fact)
This applies to most of the rest of the hotel as well, with the hotel (not the rooms) feeling rather 'cramped' rather than spacious.

Note: Wifi is still charged to guests at ridiculous rates, but starting November 15th, it will be made complimentary. I also hear there are plans to refurbish the hotel, and they expect it to be done early 2015.

Ritz Carlton - club level guest room

Positives:
Beautiful, beautiful exterior, entrance and lobby.
Rooms are a good size, starting at 400 sq ft. They are well decorated (classic, but without feeling tired) and well maintained/kept.
That's one of the nicer club levels I've been to
Spacious gym
Service was very much up to standard
Asprey amenities

Negatives:
No separate shower - only a bathtub/shower
Breakfast was good, but I was expecting better. That orange juice was good though - I think I had about 4 refills. Also, a good choice of teas available.
No view to speak of - I wasn't expecting the same view as at the MO, but I can see why the curtains were generally kept drawn! Very awkward view.

Mandarin Oriental - Premier Bay to Bay Room

Positives:
The pick of the bunch for everything. Equal with Taj for service, and ahead of all for everything else.
Admittedly, while I was also in a higher room category, this was a gorgeous room - clean, modern decor with a neutral colour palette
That view
Room size (again, relates to the above regarding room category) - however, it's worth noting that although its only 50 sq ft more than the room at the Ritz Carlton, this one felt far more spacious/bigger.
The service, as mentioned above. Fantastic, very pleased.

Negatives:
The bathroom design/tone/colours - apparently a remnant of the old design. In itself, not the worst, but it just doesn't fit into the rest of the room.

Notes: I'd loved to have checked out the spa. It looks lovely.

Fairmont - Fairmont room

Positives:
The exterior and lobby
Upkeep of the hotel (excluding the lifts, which look like they're still stuck in the 1980s). For an old property, the upkeep is surprisingly good
Room decor - yes, very much a classic look, but much like the Ritz Carlton, not dated or tired, and actually was surprised by how refreshing the rooms felt despite the classic look of the whole place.

Negatives:
Room size - The brochure says 325 sq ft, but it's cardboard box-like.
Service - let me preface this by saying that on the whole, the service was very good 90% of the time. Very, very good in fact. However, comparing it to the Taj, MO and Ritz, it was one level below, more due to the mistakes made rather than anything they failed to do. On the 2nd night I was staying there, I arrived late with some baggage and went to the front desk to inquire regarding something. The staff at the front desk (who had checked me in the previous night) asked me if I wanted to check in! A forgiveable sin I suppose considering the Fairmont has close to 600 rooms and it must be hard to keep track of all the ins and outs just by face.
However, what was rather more galling was that housekeeping knocked on my door and tried to enter the room (before I screamed "I'M STILL IN HERE AND SLEEPING!") at 8AM on the day of check out. That's very disturbing. I much prefer the Aman way of never having to SEE housekeeping (and I never did at any of the other hotels, but then I also didn't spend THAT much time in them), but if I am going to see you, then you bloody well make sure it's not at 8AM. I raised this with the front office who gave me the rather lame excuse that they knock on doors of those who are checking out that day, and that I would most certainly not be disturbed if I put on the "do not disturb" sign. While that sounds worse in writing (it was neither made as an 'excuse' or as a rude suggestion), I would still much prefer not to see housekeeping and them not having to knock on my door at 8AM.

Unfortunately, due to extremely high occupancy (close to 100% on almost all nights I was there), I was unable to see any of the other room categories at all the hotels I stayed at and visited (including Intercontinental Mark Hopkins).

Fire away any questions and I'll do my best to answer! As mentioned, I really did not spend much time at all in the hotels this time around so I'll try my best.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:31 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Thanks for posting this! I haven't stayed at the RC, but agree that MO is the best of this bunch.

Originally Posted by deathscar
Taj Campton Place - deluxe king

Negatives:
Room layout, design, decor and upkeep are very dated and due a refurbish (very urgently, in fact)
This applies to most of the rest of the hotel as well, with the hotel (not the rooms) feeling rather 'cramped' rather than spacious.

I also hear there are plans to refurbish the hotel, and they expect it to be done early 2015.
I've also gotten more disappointed in this place over the years (though my last stay was over a year ago). Agree that it needs a serious refurb, but given that they're "planning" it now and expect it to be done in "early 2015," I think they're either delusional/dishonest re: timeline, or the refurb isn't going to be enough of an overhaul to bring it up to par with the best in the city.

Fairmont - Fairmont room
Negatives:
Service - let me preface this by saying that on the whole, the service was very good 90% of the time. Very, very good in fact. However, comparing it to the Taj, MO and Ritz, it was one level below, more due to the mistakes made rather than anything they failed to do. On the 2nd night I was staying there, I arrived late with some baggage and went to the front desk to inquire regarding something. The staff at the front desk (who had checked me in the previous night) asked me if I wanted to check in! A forgiveable sin I suppose considering the Fairmont has close to 600 rooms and it must be hard to keep track of all the ins and outs just by face.
However, what was rather more galling was that housekeeping knocked on my door and tried to enter the room (before I screamed "I'M STILL IN HERE AND SLEEPING!") at 8AM on the day of check out. That's very disturbing. I much prefer the Aman way of never having to SEE housekeeping (and I never did at any of the other hotels, but then I also didn't spend THAT much time in them), but if I am going to see you, then you bloody well make sure it's not at 8AM. I raised this with the front office who gave me the rather lame excuse that they knock on doors of those who are checking out that day, and that I would most certainly not be disturbed if I put on the "do not disturb" sign. While that sounds worse in writing (it was neither made as an 'excuse' or as a rude suggestion), I would still much prefer not to see housekeeping and them not having to knock on my door at 8AM.
I don't think the Aman comparison/standard is a fair one here

In a 600 room hotel (and really, you should do this in smaller hotels too), I think it's fair to expect the guest to put the DND sign up if they don't want to be bothered. Not excusing the 8AM wakeup -- that's too early for housekeeping to knock -- but it certainly would help avoid the issue ever happening.

I do agree, though, that this hotel is a level below the others, and doesn't really justify (to me) the $500+ rates it often asks.

Unfortunately, due to extremely high occupancy (close to 100% on almost all nights I was there), I was unable to see any of the other room categories at all the hotels I stayed at and visited (including Intercontinental Mark Hopkins).
Curious to hear what you thought of the Mark Hopkins. When I lived in SF, the Top of the Mark was a great place to take visitors for a drink with a view, but the property itself has felt worn at the seams for some time.

Did you get a chance to check out the St. Regis at all?

Thanks again for sharing!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by LM225
Curious to hear what you thought of the Mark Hopkins. When I lived in SF, the Top of the Mark was a great place to take visitors for a drink with a view, but the property itself has felt worn at the seams for some time.

Thanks again for sharing!
Much the same as you. Their restaurants and Top of the Mark looked very enticing. The rest of the hotel (from what I saw) looks like its due a refurbish. Mentioned this to the manager whom I met, and was met with a "it's happening soon". Nice place to have a wedding though, nice ballrooms.

I didn't get to see the St Regis - didn't even notice it while driving/walking around, likewise with Four Seasons. I also wanted to check out Hotel Vitale but unfortunately did not have the time. I'll have to map these to see where they are located - probably right under my nose as I was walking around.

Copy your sentiments regarding Campton Place - it's a real shame, the property has potential. They have the service sector down, and its naturally boutique nature can really push it towards the top.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:41 am
Original Member

For me, it's a toss up between MO and the RC. Love the service, comfort and views at the MO but we stay most often at the Ritz because their club-level suites are remarkably priced and, oh my, that club lounge offers wonderful food selections all day long together with very decent sparkling wine plus reds and whites, delicious lemonade and more. No need to dine elsewhere.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
we stay most often at the Ritz because that club lounge offers wonderful food selections ... No need to dine elsewhere.
Except you are in a city with so many wonderful dining options.

It's "different strokes" and all that, but I would never do a Club Room - with the intent of primarily dining in the club - in a city known for dining (RC SF and RC NOLA spring immediately to mind).
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Except you are in a city with so many wonderful dining options.

It's "different strokes" and all that, but I would never do a Club Room - with the intent of primarily dining in the club - in a city known for dining (RC SF and RC NOLA spring immediately to mind).
Agreed - they do have an excellent club level lounge though!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:26 am
Original Member

Yes, great dining in SF but we are up there often and sometimes it's a great comfort to hole up in comfort at the hotel and nip out only for the symphony or opera or whatever event brought us to town.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:52 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by LM225
From an avowed Amanjunkie here, I just took my husband for a 3 night stay a few weeks ago at the St. Regis SF. We had a fab stay. I'm SPG Plat75, so we had booked a deluxe room but were upgraded on an Suite Night Upgrade to a Metropolitan Suite, which was wonderful--very spacious corner living room and dining room open floor plan with views, great design/amenities, lots of natural light, spacious separated bedroom, spacious master bath, etc. We had great service, loved the bar, and had great breakfasts. (We had dinners at Coi and Saison, and absolutely loved Saison.)

For those who like SoMa (as we do), the StR is a great option IMO. If you want the best views, however, the MO no doubt is the best.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So reading between the lines it sounds like you rank as follows:

Mandarin Oriental
Ritz Carlton
Taj Campton Place
Fairmont

I would concur thought IMO the Fairmont is so antiquated it doesn't even belong on the list. Ditto for Mark Hopkins, also horribly antiquated, would never stay there again.

Personally I would add the St. Regis and place it at the #1 slot. St. R and RC also offer points in major programs which is a big plus for me at these rates

Not sure if location factors into anyone's decisions. If you have business downtown the Mandarin, Campton and St. Regis will likely be walking distance from your office. I am not a big fan of the Nob Hill location (Fairmont, Ritz, Mark) but may not bother you if don't mind climbing hills and taking taxis everywhere.

Also interesting to see Four Seasons missing from the list, which has a convenient location on Market St.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Much the same as you. Their restaurants and Top of the Mark looked very enticing. The rest of the hotel (from what I saw) looks like its due a refurbish. Mentioned this to the manager whom I met, and was met with a "it's happening soon". Nice place to have a wedding though, nice ballrooms.
Top of the Mark is atrocious...unless you enjoy the smell of inexpensive cleanser. The view is generally very nice, but blocked towards to GGB by the Fairmont.

If you want a view...stay at MO.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:42 pm

Mandarin Oriental - Premier Bay to Bay Room

Positives:
The pick of the bunch for everything. Equal with Taj for service, and ahead of all for everything else.
Admittedly, while I was also in a higher room category, this was a gorgeous room - clean, modern decor with a neutral colour palette
That view
Room size (again, relates to the above regarding room category) - however, it's worth noting that although its only 50 sq ft more than the room at the Ritz Carlton, this one felt far more spacious/bigger.
The service, as mentioned above. Fantastic, very pleased.

Negatives:
The bathroom design/tone/colours - apparently a remnant of the old design. In itself, not the worst, but it just doesn't fit into the rest of the room.
Although I think the MO might be the top of the heap in SF (haven't checked out the St. Regis yet, although it sounds like I probably should), I don't think you can put together a list of negatives without mentioning the lobby and the restaurant. The lobby as a whole feels really small/cramped, and the placement of the restaurant feels really awkward in the space--definitely not luxurious.

While I'm here I'll add a quick assessment of the Four Seasons.

Positives:
- Rooms are modern and well maintained, if a bit generic.
- I like the location; pretty convenient to Union Square, the convention center and the financial district, as well as public transit (and car access is pretty good too).
- The attached Equinox gym is a lot better than most gyms.

Negatives:
- Service is friendly, but somewhat uneven. Just an example: one day managed to miss both "morning" and turndown service in the room by putting up a do not disturb sign for less than three hours (~3 PM - ~6 PM).
- Weird "spa in the Equinox gym that happens to be in the same building" setup.
- Restaurant is not great (not bad, but
- No complimentary Internet. In San Francisco? Ridiculous.

Last edited by jordyn; Dec 5, 2014 at 10:13 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

You're right about the lobby and restaurant - I thought I had mentioned it but apparently not! The MO does feel like it lacks any character (in the common areas) and the space, all the way up to the lifts, is very awkward (designed more for a commercial banking building than a hotel?).

I didn't visit the spa, but the photos that I saw look interesting.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I live in San Francisco, and can honestly say there is no one great hotel. Probably the best overall is the Four Seasons or the St Regis, but neither have the best location. Campton Place (Taj) is a very good location, but has its issues as the OP states. Mandarin Oriental has great views, but the location is in the financial district - great for business in that area, but not great for leisure. St Regis has a better restaurant and bar than Four Seasons, but neither are in the best location. Having said all of this we have some of the best restaurants in the world in my " prejudiced" opinion, and everything is just an "uber" away. So I would say do not stay in the fairmont. If you want to be close to shopping in union square, stay in the Taj Campton Place. If you are working in the financial district, stay in the MO. If location is not an issue try the St Regis or Four Seasons ( these are the two I would choose and have when we were remodeling). Ritz is not my favorite, but many like it. It is on Nob Hill. In any case all are adequate and just an " uber" away from SF's highlights which I believe are our wonderful restaurants, not our hotels! Just my humble opinion living here!
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:00 am
Original Poster

I usually walked from Union Square to MO/Financial District and vice versa. It's really not that long or bad a walk - rather enjoyed it.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:22 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Has anyone checked out the newly renovated Scarlet Huntington? Thinking about giving it a try on my January trip with the FHR 3rd night free promo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.