Wiki Posts
Search

Maldives Reviews and Questions: Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Musken
I do remember someone posted a review with pics. A new resort, I think. I know I liked the look of if. But the name is gone..
Have a look here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ip-report.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-hotel-13.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...light=maldives
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Muskin,

I also liked Soneva Fushi. They have great snorkeling and diving, large villas, and nice beaches. You should communicate with them about sunset vs sunrise side of the island, but part of that will be determined by which villa you choose.
I also really liked Coco Island. If you want the privacy go for one of the large 1 bedroom Villas on one of the ends of the jetties. The only problem is they are all overwater, and not much beach. It is very small , but not used often as most people swim and snorkel off their villa decks. And the snorkeling off your villa is terrific, and the diving is great too.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Hi everybody,

I am not able to search, but I remember there was some recommendations for hotels in the Maldives not too long ago. We have been to the two FS resorts some years ago and though we liked them, I would love to try something else. We do not want to go to O&O.
This is a decision I am trying to make at the moment too. If I can ask, why not O&O? Reethi Rah is at the top of my list at the moment... If you don't mind sharing your thoughts, I would like to hear them.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:36 pm

Hi,
When I visited the Maldives I stayed at Jumeirah Dhevanafushi. It is absolutely beautiful and the villas are very spacious at 270 sqm!
The only downside was it took awhile to get there - we had to take a domestic flight from Male and then a 20min boat ride. However it was worth it! Nothing could be faulted and the service was impeccable. They have both over water and beach villas and I think they all come with their own private pools.

Otherwise when my friend visited, she stayed at Niyama and she loved that resort. It is newly opened and a larger resort than Jumeirah so there were more options.

Last edited by donnat88; Jun 16, 2015 at 9:42 pm
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:13 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ridefar
Quote:

Hi everybody,

I am not able to search, but I remember there was some recommendations for hotels in the Maldives not too long ago. We have been to the two FS resorts some years ago and though we liked them, I would love to try something else. We do not want to go to O&O.

This is a decision I am trying to make at the moment too. If I can ask, why not O&O? Reethi Rah is at the top of my list at the moment... If you don't mind sharing your thoughts, I would like to hear them.
Actually nothing against the resort, I just know so many people who has been or is often going there, that I feel the risk of "meeting the neighbours" is too big.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:19 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks a lot. I meant the COMO Maalifushi-pictures. But that resort was one one one ones that were fully booked for our dates already.

Last edited by Musken; Jun 17, 2015 at 8:26 am
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:05 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I think we will end up going somewhere else this time. The high season rates are crazy or the resorts are already fully booked for our rates. At least I have now saved this thread so that I can easily find your recommendations next time we consider the Maldives - maybe slightly off season instead.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:09 am

We have been to the two FS resorts some years ago and though we liked them, I would love to try something else. We do not want to go to O&O. Would like: Nice, spacious villa (2 adults, 12 year old son). Privacy. Prefer beach villa instead of over-water-villa. Private pool is nice, but not a must. Great beach, preferably with off beach snorkeling, but again no must as we are happy to go out with a boat if there is a good reef nearby. Except for snorkeling, we would just like to relax, eat good food (great if there are more than just one restaurant for the variation), maybe a spa visit or two and that's it. What would you recommend?

Huaven Fushi, is supposedly dated.
We stayed at Huvafen Fushi last year and absolutely loved it and would gladly go back again. It's probably the most relaxing holiday I've ever had. I prefer a beach, whereas my better half preferred being over the water, so we compromised and stayed in their Deluxe Beach Bungalow for 3 nights, then the Ocean Bungalow for 4 nights. I personally prefer the Beach Bungalow, as you're given 2 pools, it feels more private, you have warm sand outside your room, and I'm lazy and it's closer to the main resort. Plus it means you can be barefoot all the time. It wasn't much fun walking barefoot over the wood to get to the Ocean Bungalow when it's 30 Celcius all day.

We met a couple at Huvafen who had been to the FS before and this was something like their 7th year in a row in the Maldives and they felt Huvafen was the best yet.

To go through your points:
  • Nice, spacious villa (2 adults, 12 year old son) - check. I can put some pics in here, if I have time.
  • Privacy - check
  • Prefer beach villa instead of over-water-villa. - check, but the over water villas are bigger
  • Private pool is nice, but not a must. - check
  • Great beach, preferably with off beach snorkeling - they don't really have a beach at Huvafen, so that's a negative
  • eat good food - it wasn't mesmerising, but I certainly enjoyed it
  • maybe a spa visit or two and that's it - world's first underwater spa, plus a beautiful over water spa too
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:17 pm

Four Seasons Explorer!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:17 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mkm4
Four Seasons Explorer!
Does anyone know the best seasons for the Explorer to see the bigger pelagics (mantas, whale sharks in particular)? The research I've seen suggests May-July...but the Manta Institute has 2 special cruises on Explorer in late August and early September. So I can't quite figure out what's the best months...or if there really is a best season?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:02 pm

Manta rays are very active around August-Septmber due to the abundance of plankton to feed on, so that is the best time to see them. Logically the same would apply to whale sharks, but I am no expert. Of course for diving in genearal the conditions are better in the high season however.

By the way, I am very much looking forward to Gili Lankanfushi and Soneva Fushi toward the end of the year.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jun 23, 2015 at 9:09 pm
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: N/A
Switching Hotels in the Maldives

Hello all,

Between a few signup bonuses and cards, my girlfriend and I have the following hotel nights which need to be spent by the end of the year, at various properties.

Can anyone comment on how much work or the cost it would take between switching hotels? Our hotel balances are as follows and proposed hotels
  • 2 Nights Free Hyatt (Park Hyatt Maldives)
  • 4 Wknd Nights Free Hilton (Conrad Maldives)
  • Also looking to spend 2-3 nights at a GHA property (Anantara, Naladhu, or Per Aquum) as we have GHA black status.

Thank You!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:08 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by JBG89
  • 2 Nights Free Hyatt (Park Hyatt Maldives)
  • 4 Wknd Nights Free Hilton (Conrad Maldives)
When you look at a map, you'll see that the Conrad is quite a distance from the Park Hyatt. I'm unaware of any way to get between the other than to go via Male. Hopefully someone else will prove me wrong. Check the master threads for the properties in each hotel forum. You will need to sum the time to get to each property plus allow for ground time in Male. You'll also need to sum the transportation cost. There is quite a good wiki in the Conrad thread that says it costs $500 ++ RT for the seaplane. The wiki on the Hyatt thread said that their transfer was also $500 ++ as of 2014. It is a combination of flight plus boat.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...sland-mdv.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html

spellbound2 stayed at both properties.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 10, 2015 at 3:18 pm
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Costs will probably be significant as you will need to take the regular services back to Male and then to the next destination not to mention the amount of time you would spend making the transfers. I assume you could attempt to charter a seaplane for the transfers but this cost would probably be quite substantial and dwarf the cost of the regular transfers.
An older thread with some links:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...aldives-2.html
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Frankly - this is quite a mess. As others have pointed out...cost of transfer alone can drive you up the wall. Logistics as well - pure distances from A to B. This is why whenever I get a client wanting to use reward certs for something similar I say: not the Maldives.

Wish I had a better answer....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.