Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Maldives Reviews and Questions: Consolidated Thread

Maldives Reviews and Questions: Consolidated Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by rfrost
Can someone comment on the level of tranquility at resorts like Reethi Rah that seem to offer a lot of activities for families/children?
Thanks.
It obviously depends upon when you go (not in school holidays), but I have never been disturbed by an excess of kids, as Reethi Rah or FS Landaa Giravaaru have very good dedicated kid's clubs/teen clubs, which tend to keep the litle darlings occupied. These are both such large islands that privacy is not a problem.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: -
Maldives - Mirihi vs. "luxury properties"

Anybody here ever stayed at Mirihi and can compare it to the more luxurious properties often recommended here (one and only, jumeirah, FS, anandara, six senses etc)?

We are scheduled to go to Maldives in late September/ early October and originally decided to do 4nts at Mirihi and burn some hilton points at Conrad (3nts) which I gathered is ~15 min boat ride from Mirihi.

That said, since it's low season, I noticed that almost every luxury hotel that is typically discussed here is more or less within our budget (<1000/nt incl tax), as many hotels have 4th night free for low season.

Anyway, I guess I'm just wondering if I should take advantage of the lower rates and stay somewhere nicer that would topically by unattainable to us.

Note that we aren't really into just "sitting at a beach" and activities are important to us. We just got our PADI certification in the Seychelles earlier this year and loved it, so diving is a must.

FWIW we are a couple in mid 20s, and would prefer somewhere that isn't focused on families/kids but not necessarily a deal breaker.

Anyway, know this is a long post but any feedback would be much appreciated!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:06 am

No privacy at mirihi since the villas are attached to each other. If you want to dive the best option is something in the baa atoll, because it's Manta season that time of year. Note the bleaching is bad at baa atoll.

Also the conrad is very very busy.

If you can afford it, go splurge a bit.

Edit.. Also the quality of the rooms, facilities, etc are not as good as a luxury option

Last edited by surftb15; Jun 20, 2016 at 8:18 am
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:25 am
Company Representative, Milaidhoo Maldives

Hello from Milaidhoo Maldives

Hello everyone, this is Katherine from Milaidhoo Maldives, opening in November. Some of you on the Conrad Rangali thread in Flyertalk may remember me from there.

I see that there's a lot of discussion in this forum about luxury resorts in the Maldives and if there's any questions I can answer about Milaidhoo, happy to chat!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:06 pm

Hi there - arriving into MLE in the near future using the CIP services/terminal. Has anyone recently utilized this service and can recap the immigration and customs experience?

It looks like on the sat map that once you are all set with arrival formalities you cross the street onto a boat for resort transfer? (in my case at least)

Read on a different thread about a red/green customs light system they are now using, can someone cover how that works and if that same process is in effect for folks using CIP arrival services?

Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by anthropod
Read on a different thread about a red/green customs light system they are now using, can someone cover how that works and if that same process is in effect for folks using CIP arrival services
The red/green customs channel is the same as you at most airports: you either go through the 'goods to declare' red channel where they'll xray your luggage or through the 'nothing to declare' green channel.

This started a couple of months ago: before that everyone's luggage (both checked in luggage and handluggage) was xrayed on arrival.

Note: it was - and still is - illegal to bring alcohol into the Maldives. A number of travellers, not knowing this, lose their Duty Free purchases on arrival.

For the CIP procedure, AFAIK, they meet you on the tarmac as you get out of the plane and take you straight through to the CIP lounge where they'll do the customs and immigration procedures. That should only take a few minutes, then you're out the door land-side and more or less opposite the boat jetty.

Kat

ps: in case anyone was thinking they can now bring alcohol in their luggage, we understand that - like most airports - it's being xrayed before it's unloaded onto the luggage carousel and customs will call you over if you try to go through the green channel.

Last edited by MilaidhooMaldives; Jun 23, 2016 at 11:39 pm Reason: clarified procedure
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:12 pm

Wait.. You can bring alcohol in now?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:37 pm

No, you can't.

Kat
Old Jun 24, 2016, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by MilaidhooMaldives
The red/green customs channel is the same as you at most airports: you either go through the 'goods to declare' red channel where they'll xray your luggage or through the 'nothing to declare' green channel.

This started a couple of months ago: before that everyone's luggage (both checked in luggage and handluggage) was xrayed on arrival.

Note: it was - and still is - illegal to bring alcohol into the Maldives. A number of travellers, not knowing this, lose their Duty Free purchases on arrival.

For the CIP procedure, AFAIK, they meet you on the tarmac as you get out of the plane and take you straight through to the CIP lounge where they'll do the customs and immigration procedures. That should only take a few minutes, then you're out the door land-side and more or less opposite the boat jetty.

Kat

ps: in case anyone was thinking they can now bring alcohol in their luggage, we understand that - like most airports - it's being xrayed before it's unloaded onto the luggage carousel and customs will call you over if you try to go through the green channel.
Thanks... Inside the CIP building do they offer the same red/green declaration option before exiting or is it a bit different?

I assume the CIP and airport folks have a way of ID'ing your checked bags from the arriving airplane or does the passenger work with a CIP representative to identify and collect the check bags, then moving to the CIP building to wrap things up?

For those departing through the CIP building for international destinations, what is the recommended time to arrive before your flight departure? I have a 23:50 TK flight but the Gili folks are letting us stay in our villa the whole day and evening until they boat us back to the CIP.

Thanks everyone. Can't wait to visit Maldives for the first time.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:57 pm

Thanks... Inside the CIP building do they offer the same red/green declaration option before exiting or is it a bit different?

I assume the CIP and airport folks have a way of ID'ing your checked bags from the arriving airplane or does the passenger work with a CIP representative to identify and collect the check bags, then moving to the CIP building to wrap things up?

For those departing through the CIP building for international destinations, what is the recommended time to arrive before your flight departure? I have a 23:50 TK flight but the Gili folks are letting us stay in our villa the whole day and evening until they boat us back to the CIP.

Thanks everyone. Can't wait to visit Maldives for the first time.
I haven't been inside myself, but I understand it's more like a lounge where you would sit while the officials do the running around. It doesn't get used much so it's likely it'll just be you there at that time.

I doubt they have red/green channels and I would expect them to just ask you whether you have anything to declare. They will still xray your luggage as it's unloaded from the plane so I don't recommend you pack anything you shouldn't!
Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by MilaidhooMaldives
I haven't been inside myself, but I understand it's more like a lounge where you would sit while the officials do the running around. It doesn't get used much so it's likely it'll just be you there at that time.

I doubt they have red/green channels and I would expect them to just ask you whether you have anything to declare. They will still xray your luggage as it's unloaded from the plane so I don't recommend you pack anything you shouldn't!
Understood on the x-ray standard procedure, no problem. Just interested in this CIP service and hoping it delivers a convenient and expedient service at MLE.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is CIP/VIP service bookable direct with airport (like other airports) / through resort ?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
is CIP/VIP service bookable direct with airport (like other airports) / through resort ?
The CIP does not have red or green channels at all. The staff collect your baggage tags and pick up the bags from the belt and x ray the bags and bring to the CIP lounge. Now if the customs want to open your bags, then there would be considerable delays as the staff have to come back to the CIP and get either the passenger or the keys and go back and open the bags.
Now to be honest if there are not too many flights, the normal procedure is quicker but of course there is no air conditioned lounge to sit and wait in the normal way.
Business class passenger get fast track at immigration even at normal procedure.
All bags are x rayed. This is done before they are put on the conveyor belt. The Green channel is just walk thru but they randomly select passengers for x ray.
Hand luggage is of course not x rayed but still it is a risk to bring in alcohol in hand luggage though some would obviously do this.

yes the resorts can book the CIP lounge for you.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:42 am

Maldives hotel

Hi booking a hotel now - was between Velaa and four seasons Giraavsru. We like 5+* resorts and more contemporary hotels but also want excellent snorkeling and diving nearby. Has anyone stayed at the four seasons recently? It's gotten excellent reviews. Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:47 am

MLE CIP report!

Understood on the x-ray standard procedure, no problem. Just interested in this CIP service and hoping it delivers a convenient and expedient service at MLE.

We had an excellent experience with the CIP terminal at MLE, both arriving and departing. Upon arrival they have the x-ray machine for your carryons and upon departure they use the x-ray for the same.

Inside they have all kinds of soft drinks, free Wi-Fi, plenty of room to relax, my wife and I were the only two in there. A great gift shop is there also, and they opened it just for us and let us browse for an hour before buying some stuff.

Immigration folks were friendly and took care of our passports with care, found our bags promptly, and had us board promptly when it was time to go.

The Gili Lankanfushi boat was a one minute walk from the CIP terminal, goes without saying the Gili experience was superb. Comparing the overall trip experience to Tahiti/Bora Bora - both are uniquely awesome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.