Search

Regular 5* Room or Suite in 4*

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Regular 5* Room or Suite in 4*

I'm looking at going to NYC and it has me thinking. Pay for a regular King room at somewhere like the Park Hyatt or, stay somewhere a little less grand, say a 4 star but get a suite.

Just wondering what others would prefer? More room in a 4 star hotel or a regular king bed room in a very very nice 5 star?

Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can currently get 5* regular rooms for significantly less than the $1000 - 1100 that the new PH currently charges. Unless you have a great corporate rate or can use points, consider another luxury hotel.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
You can currently get 5* regular rooms for significantly less than the $1000 - 1100 that the new PH currently charges. Unless you have a great corporate rate or can use points, consider another luxury hotel.
That hotel is just used as an example. I just wondered if people prefer a bit less glamour and quality for a larger room.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:15 am

I would prefer a room at a top hotel to a suite at a four star hotel in New York. Some hotels have reasonably spacious deluxe rooms, and you could always end up with some kind of an upgrade anyway.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Depends totally on hotel. I normally take a suite, but if I could choose suite at Intercontinental/ Westin etc. or room at Four Seasons/ Mandarin Oriental I would choose the room.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Depends totally on hotel. I normally take a suite, but if I could choose suite at Intercontinental/ Westin etc. or room at Four Seasons/ Mandarin Oriental I would choose the room.
Especially in New York, where most of the "four star" properties are dumps.

But, there is a trade off between room size and hotel quality in some cases, e.g. affordable suites at New York Palace, Waldorf Towers, Essex House, Trump, etc... As I said above, unless I really needed more space, I would prefer a room at a better hotel.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 27, 2014 at 7:11 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:20 am

We discuss this same question with Pierre quite often. Suite is mandatory for me, 5* is mandatory for him, so we end up booking a suite in a 5* hotel

More seriously it all depends whether you plan to use the hotel facilities or not. Sometimes it is better to have only a room in a 5* property when you plan to use the spa / swimming pool / dining options. Moreover location of 5* properties is often better than 4*. If you value size more than services then 4* can be a wise choice: you can enjoy a large suite at reasonable cost.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I'm looking at going to NYC and it has me thinking. Pay for a regular King room at somewhere like the Park Hyatt or, stay somewhere a little less grand, say a 4 star but get a suite.

Just wondering what others would prefer? More room in a 4 star hotel or a regular king bed room in a very very nice 5 star?

Of course you could always get a suite at a nice 5* (London, Viceroy) for 1/3 of the price that you would pay at an entry level room at the very very nice 5* (MO, FS, etc).
Old Oct 27, 2014, 4:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It really depends on the hotel. Some of the better 5* hotels have really large and nice entry level rooms, others can be pretty horrible. In general though, I'd lean towards a good 5* as you benefit from the services and design rather than just have extra space.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
Of course you could always get a suite at a nice 5* (London, Viceroy) for 1/3 of the price that you would pay at an entry level room at the very very nice 5* (MO, FS, etc).
1/3 of price would be around $300~ a night, which is an exaggeration. Also, I would call Viceroy and London four star hotels. Viceroy may not be a good choice for space as rooms seem to be tiny, and suites are not particularly spacious either.

Published rates at Viceroy do not look like very good value at the moment. In midtown I would sooner book a Junior suite at the Peninsula, for example, and hope for an upgrade.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Oct 27, 2014 at 7:12 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
1/3 of price would be around $300~ a night, which is an exaggeration. Also, I would call Viceroy and London four star hotels. Viceroy may not be a good choice for space as rooms seem to be tiny, and suites are not particularly spacious either.

Published rates at Viceroy do not look like very good value at the moment. In midtown I would sooner book a Junior suite at the Peninsula, for example, and hope for an upgrade.
You could get the London for $300 on an amex fhr with breakfast in the past 12 months as I have. My teens like the location.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:56 am
Aman Contributor Badge

We had the same issue when we went to NYC last May. We wanted a large room (8 nights stay, two adults and a child so we needed the space), but also the good facilities. The suites in the 5* hotels were, however, just too expensive, so we ended up booking one of the largest rooms in the Soho House. Great location in Meatpacking, rooftop pool, nice "homely" restaurant in hotel, and great bar, but most of all the very large room was real value for money. Maybe you should have a look at that?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Musken
We had the same issue when we went to NYC last May. We wanted a large room (8 nights stay, two adults and a child so we needed the space), but also the good facilities. The suites in the 5* hotels were, however, just too expensive, so we ended up booking one of the largest rooms in the Soho House. Great location in Meatpacking, rooftop pool, nice "homely" restaurant in hotel, and great bar, but most of all the very large room was real value for money. Maybe you should have a look at that?
Plus, the Meatpacking is far, far more interesting than midtown ... though this is true for anywhere south of 14th.

Midtown is so deadly dull.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:21 am

N
Originally Posted by aa213bb
Plus, the Meatpacking is far, far more interesting than midtown ... though this is true for anywhere south of 14th.

Midtown is so deadly dull.
Anything south of 14th street is not necessarily desirable or inretesting. Also do not think midtown is dull.

My favorite downtown is Crosby Street (Jr. Suite and above).
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
N

Anything south of 14th street is not necessarily desirable or inretesting. Also do not think midtown is dull.

My favorite downtown is Crosby Street (Jr. Suite and above).
Never heard of the Crosby. Just looked it up. It looks very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.