Help: Spain and Portugal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help: Spain and Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:16 pm

Portugal and Northern Spain

We just returned from Northern Spain last month and traveled through Portugal last year. We loved Northern Spain! San Sebastian was simply beautiful. The Maria Cristina was recently renovated and is in a great location between the two beaches and the old town. We stayed 3 nights in a room with a river view but I question whether it was worth the extra expense. I would highly recommend using a guide to tour the pinxtos bars. It was daunting to wade through the crowds and know the specialties of each bar. We also used a guide to take us to two experiences that are unique to the region: cider house meal and a private cooking club dinner. (Send me a private message for our guide recommendation.) We enjoyed both tremendously and were as memorable if not more than our lunch at Akelare. We went for lunch at Akelare to enjoy the spectacular food as well as the ocean and coastal views. We then drove to Elciego and stayed 3 nights at the stunning Hotel Marques de Riscal. The problem with this hotel is that there are a finite number of rooms in the Gehry designed structure. The rest are in the adjoining annex with a huge spa. While the rooms in the annex are larger (more comfortable for families), they do not have the ambiance of the Gehry structure. The only way to guarantee a room in the Gehry structure is to reserve the Gehry suite in the Gehry building. All other room categories can be in either building. However, longer stays are more likely to be accommodated in the Gehry building. Or that is what we were told when checking in. They tried to put us in the annex but we complained. We were then switched to Room 14 with an amazing view of the old town of Elciego. Our room's view was breathtaking...seeing the Church framed with the structure's aluminum and titanium plates! Breakfasts were ample and delicious. For dinner, we enjoyed the Bistro more than the gastronomic restaurant. When you arrive, have the concierge reserve vineyard visits. We especially liked Martinez Lacuesta (sipping vermouth) and the architectural highlight of Boedgas Baigorri (take the tour then have lunch with wine tasting included). The tour of the Marques De Riscal was excellent because of the video that showed the wine production process. After visiting one or two bodegas, we found the hotel's spa to be a godsend. We then spent one night in Bilbao but felt another night would have our city visit more complete. Needless to say, the Guggenheim is breathtaking and made even more special having stayed in a similar but different structure in Elciego. I'll continue this with more information about our journey to Santiago de Compostela...
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:54 pm

Northern Spain, continued

Since you will have a car (driving in Spain is wonderful; the toll roads are modern, fast and empty), you may find the pinxtos bars in Haro and Logrono to be tasty and interesting as we did. Both neighborhoods are in pedestrian zones with lots of selection in food and wine. We found the bar food to be more accessible than San Sebastian and just as tasty but less crowded. In Bilbao, we stayed at a design hotel called Miro Hotel that is a block from the Guggenheim. Smallish rooms but some come with a view of the museum. From Bilbao, we drove the Camino to Santiago de Compostela with an overnight stop in Leon with a beautiful cathedral that is famous for its stained glass windows. Leon's downtown is a happening place on weekends, especially Saturday with its open market in the plaza. We stayed in NH Plaza which is located on the main plaza and in the middle of the town. Much better location than the Paradores which is located 10-15 minutes away. We then drove to Santiago de Compostela with a stop in Lugo for its well-preserved Roman wall which was interesting but not worth the stop. At Santiago de Compostela, we stayed in the Paradores which is next to the Cathedral and a historic building itself. We enjoyed a prix fixe dinner in the beautiful dining room downstairs in what used to be the stables. Service was much better than others have reviewed. Again, we used a guide to tour the city, including a visit by car to the City of Culture of Galicia on a hill overlooking Santiago de Compostela. This half-finished modern complex highlights Spain's debt crisis. Building was halted when the budget zoomed over $1 billion! Still, the complex is stunning. You will have a wonderful time in Northern Spain...
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much, we leave tomorrow! Really excited, although we've yet to book anything (aside from restaurants).

What can I say … I'm a last-minute person.

I'll try and update this as I go along, and thank you so much for pointing out that the Marques de Riscal has many rooms NOT in the Gehry designed building. I will specifically seek those out.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Decided on The Urso in Madrid, and since it's so new thought I'd snap a few photos to share with everyone …

Lobby 1

Lobby 2 & Bar

Swimming Pool (part of the Spa)

Gates to Beautiful, Old, Central Elevator

Elevator Shaft Looking Up, with Detail

Elevator Shaft Looking Down

Elevator Interior

Stained Glass Window (One between each floor)

Hallway

Our Jr. Suite Entryway

Our Jr. Suite Bedroom

Our Jr. Suite Sitting Area

Our Jr. Suite Bathroom (Separate shower & tub, though the glass enclosure you see is the toilet)

Our Jr. Suite Sitting Area 2

Do Not Disturb

Our Jr. Suite View (from three SMALL balconies)

Urso Hotel at Night (sorry I clipped the top … may have been a bit tipsy )
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Nice. Several of those photos look like they could have been taken at the MO Barcelona. I wonder if its the same designer?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
Nice. Several of those photos look like they could have been taken at the MO Barcelona. I wonder if its the same designer?
I dunno, but if so, that makes me even more keen to book the MO in Barcelona. I do appreciate beautiful design ...
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, FHR, SPG

MO was designed by Patricia Urquiola I don't believe it's the same designer as the Urso... she typically uses furniture of her own design and I didn't see any in those photos. She's also a little more streamline modern.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
possibly too late for the OP but was in Spain in January so have a few thoughts.

agree with others who wonder what's with the hype at the barcelona MO. location is great, but other than that, was underwhelmed. Conversely, i'm generally not a big fan of chain hotels, but the SPG-linked Maria Cristina in san sebastian i thought was great. Finally, enjoyed the Villa Magna in Madrid.

Ate at Arzak and Cellar can de roca, but far and away my favorite meal there was at asador extebarri, i would detour to bilbao just to eat there.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I went from the Yeatman to the MO Barcelona, and I'm puzzled why this place gets any return customers. You sure you don't want to reconsider? There is no chance of a Virtuoso upgrade here, and the non-suite rooms are truly gerbil sized. I had to move furniture to get the mini bar door open. Most of the (noisy) rooms look out the back to neighboring tenements. While friendly, the only, and I mean only, good point about this MO is the location.
Really enjoyed the Yeatman, though the dark corridors are a bit strange … takes forever for the lights to kick on, but it's an impressive property.

As for the MO, I've just checked in, and all I can say is:

Absolutely. Blown. Away.

I wouldn't be so quick to give up on the MO. I've been well taken care of there when booking under FHR. Great breakfast, great bar, great location.
We've been treated VERY well thus far, and we've only just checked in a few hours ago.

Originally Posted by farbster
When in Barcelona, I highly recommend the motorcycle-sidecar tour. You can google it. So much fun and totally safe. My wife even loved it...she had the sidecar and i was behind the driver/guide.
Doing this in the morning, and are really looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by DrGiggles
agree with others who wonder what's with the hype at the barcelona MO. location is great, but other than that, was underwhelmed. Conversely, i'm generally not a big fan of chain hotels, but the SPG-linked Maria Cristina in san sebastian i thought was great. Finally, enjoyed the Villa Magna in Madrid.

Ate at Arzak and Cellar can de roca, but far and away my favorite meal there was at asador extebarri, i would detour to bilbao just to eat there.
As I said earlier, the MO-B is absolutely incredible. We're in their just finished new building, and I'm absolutely LOVING it. Will post more thoughts at a later date, but our room is STUNNING. Absolutely fantastic.

Ate at Asador Extebarri, Mugaritz, ECdCR, and others (ECdCR just today for lunch). Have had some wonderful, and one puzzling experiences. C'est la vie.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:51 pm

Please post pics of you on the motorcycle! So much fun Did you notice people taking pics of you?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aa213bb
As for the MO, I've just checked in, and all I can say is:

Absolutely. Blown. Away.
Glad you are enjoying the MO. I'm here in Barcelona too, but at the W because I'm with kids who love the beach. Personally I'd rather be at the MO but I have to admit walking out the door of my hotel in a robe and taking a nice long swim in the Med is a real pleasure.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Glad you are enjoying the MO. I'm here in Barcelona too, but at the W because I'm with kids who love the beach. Personally I'd rather be at the MO but I have to admit walking out the door of my hotel in a robe and taking a nice long swim in the Med is a real pleasure.
Oh ho, I bet it is!

Would be fun to meet, though I wouldn't want to interrupt your family holiday.

I should have added at the beginning of the thread - a big component for my indifference to the beach is that we head from here to the Gold Coast of Australia for 6 weeks … so, I'll getting plenty of "beaching" in there.

Enjoy the Med!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Would be fun to meet, though I wouldn't want to interrupt your family holiday.
I would have been delighted to meet, but we are leaving town soon to head here.

(Intercontinental Marseille)
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by cjthekid
MO was designed by Patricia Urquiola I don't believe it's the same designer as the Urso... she typically uses furniture of her own design and I didn't see any in those photos. She's also a little more streamline modern.
Interior design, Urso Hotel, Madrid: ^

Designed by Pablo Obrador, the accomplished Spanish designer behind such projects as the stunning Cap Rocat in Mallorca, the mission for the building was to restore as many of its beautiful original details as possible. Artisans and craftsmen were brought in to restore the building’s facade, ironwork, and plaster details. In addition, you’ll notice the use of gorgeous Chinoiserie wallpaper panels used in several spaces throughout the hotel. It is a reproduction of an original paper found in a neighboring palace.
http://www.ladolcevitablog.com/2014/...tel-in-madrid/
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:27 am

I love Santiago de Compostela, its a amazing place. I hope come back this year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.