Community
Wiki Posts
Search

European Luxury Hotel - early Nov.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

We will be in Zurich in late Oct for a few nights on business and then we'd like to go somewhere within Europe to celebrate our anniversary. Any suggestions? We have been to Paris, Rome, Venice, Florence, Athens, London, Madrid, Barcelona. We'd do a nice city or something adventurous .. we considered the northern lights but we were not excited about the accommodations...Its too cold for a greek isles...A walkable city with some great restaurants or somewhere in the country with lovely accommodations / beautiful scenery?
Suggestions?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:20 am

That's pretty broad but given the cities you've visited in the past, why not the Italian Riviera or Lake Country, Amalfi Coast, or perhaps Vienna and neighboring towns in the foothills of the Austrian alps? You could also explore some of the majestic chateaus in the French countryside. There's also the Adriatic Coast - Montenegro, Malta, etc.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:23 am

Have you considered Istanbul? The weather can be quite chilly in November, but mostly sunny and dry, and the city will be less crowded.

There are numerous ancient monuments (Hayasofya, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace...), world class museums (Archaeological Museum, Museum of Islamic Art,...), good shopping, a vibrant restaurant/nightlife scene.

Accomodation options are plenty. I have just returned from a long weekend combining stays at the two FS properties, FS Sultanahmet and FS Bosphorus, and was very pleased. There is a quite extensive thread on best places to stay in Istanbul here on the forum, and Park Hyatt receives very positive commentary, too.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:37 am
Original Poster

We've explored the countrysides of both Italy and France, but Vienna (we've been separately but not together) and Istanbul are good possibilities...as well as the Adriatic coast.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:31 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Berlin is a great city as well. Stay at hotel de Rome or the Soho house. Lots of good restaurants and things to see. Not walkable though, but taxis are cheap and public transportation is good.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Musken
Berlin is a great city as well. Stay at hotel de Rome or the Soho house. Lots of good restaurants and things to see. Not walkable though, but taxis are cheap and public transportation is good.
+1

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel du Rome last year , they had a program that tied in private visits to museums & art galleries . Some lovely shops nearby . All walking distance .
Doubt the CHRISTmas markets will have started - early Nov , if not , will be an additional treat . Huge one a short stroll away .
Easy cab rides elsewhere .

Amalfi coast will be end of season with restaurants , etc closed . It ' s ' iffy ' towards end Oct when we will be there .
Will be in Istanbul early Nov , cooler then . Now tossing between FS Bosphorous / Sultanamate & SLA .

We ' d quite an amazing experience with the aurora borealis in Finland , but accommodations do not belong in this forum ( either rustic or futuristic where we were ) .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 6, 2014 at 8:38 am Reason: Add info
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:47 am

Heading to Finland at the end of the year FlyerEC, and would be interested to know where you stayed for the Northern Lights - especially anywhere "futuristic".
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
We were in Nellim , Nellim Wilderness Hotel , they now have four Aurora Bubbles besides their cabins , etc .
We could even see the aurora borealis from ours - every night !
Also went to another location for a night with glass igloos too but would have preferred to remain at Wilderness Hotel if the bubbles were ready then .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 6, 2014 at 10:38 am Reason: Add info
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:34 am

Again, not relevant to this forum but there's the Basecamp Trapper's Hotel in Longyearbyen, Svalbard. I've always wanted to visit in December. Can you see the Northern Lights from the Lofoten Islands? I'm not sure if it's even accessible mid-winter but I've always wanted to visit Reine Robruer. There's also good skiing to in Hardangervidda Nat'l Park with lots of alpine lodging options. Otherwise, perhaps a cruise of the fjords?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:44 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
+1

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel du Rome last year , they had a program that tied in private visits to museums & art galleries . Some lovely shops nearby . All walking distance .
Doubt the CHRISTmas markets will have started - early Nov , if not , will be an additional treat . Huge one a short stroll away .
Easy cab rides elsewhere .

Amalfi coast will be end of season with restaurants , etc closed . It ' s ' iffy ' towards end Oct when we will be there .
Will be in Istanbul early Nov , cooler then . Now tossing between FS Bosphorous / Sultanamate & SLA .

We ' d quite an amazing experience with the aurora borealis in Finland , but accommodations do not belong in this forum ( either rustic or futuristic where we were ) .
When I said non walkable I meant that the city is so big that one cannot walk everywhere, but of course no problem to explore the different neighbourhoods on foot. If you stay in Hotel de Rome, lots of the better shops plus some of the main sights are walking distance.

Beginning of November will be too early for Christmas markets unfortunately. The open end November.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Bruges, Belgium is a very romantic destination. Plenty of sightseeing, shopping and luxury hotels. Good restaurants too. Easily combined with a side trip to Ghent, Antwerp, Brussels or the North Sea Coast. Would recommend Zeeland (the Netherlands) for that, coast is less spoiled with ugly buildings there.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:05 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The Dolder Grand is one of the best hotel experiences in Europe..... save the plane trip and just do a long weekend at The Dolder.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver
Originally Posted by ABG
The Dolder Grand is one of the best hotel experiences in Europe..... save the plane trip and just do a long weekend at The Dolder.
This.

If you still want to visit a city, another vote for Istanbul. Try the FS Sultanahmet when there, it is a fantastic property.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: EK Gold One World Silver Hilton Hertz
Originally Posted by malioil
This.

If you still want to visit a city, another vote for Istanbul. Try the FS Sultanahmet when there, it is a fantastic property.
I was at the FS Sultanahmet for 3 nights last weekend and thought it overpriced with a breakfast buffet which would pass for adequate in a 4 star hotel.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver
Originally Posted by lowlander
I was at the FS Sultanahmet for 3 nights last weekend and thought it overpriced with a breakfast buffet which would pass for adequate in a 4 star hotel.
I find that quite surprising! Their breakfast was not extraordinary, but I always get extremely personal service there and feel that nothing is too much for the staff. The hotel's location is wonderful as its overall 'theme', and the suite I was upgraded too, while not the largest was more than comfortable. I suppose this shows that everyones MMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.