Reload this Page >

Europe. Your ideas, please.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Europe. Your ideas, please.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:38 pm

I love the Sacher (Junior Suites and above), but undoubtedly the Ritz-Carlton and Park Hyatt have better rooms. I look forward to trying both.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:17 am

I know it's a bit off topic but suits the discussion right now: Does anyone know about the Four Seasons plans in Vienna? Years ago they were talking about a possible opening in 2015. This is obviously not going to happen...
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by thecoolhunter
I know it's a bit off topic but suits the discussion right now: Does anyone know about the Four Seasons plans in Vienna? Years ago they were talking about a possible opening in 2015. This is obviously not going to happen...
I vaguely remember discussion of a planned Four Seasons in Vienna. I wonder if this had anything to do with the property that was to be a Shangri-la, which was reflagged as the Ritz-Carlton, or if the plans were for a Four Seasons to open in another location.

There was also talk about a Four Seasons hotel planned for Venice. I wonder what the status of that project is.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I vaguely remember discussion of a planned Four Seasons in Vienna. I wonder if this had anything to do with the property that was to be a Shangri-la, which was reflagged as the Ritz-Carlton, or if the plans were for a Four Seasons to open in another location.
There is no connection to the Ritz-Carlton/Shangri-la. It would be a different location in the city (--> Riemergasse).
Old Sep 24, 2014, 7:57 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thecoolhunter
There is no connection to the Ritz-Carlton/Shangri-la. It would be a different location in the city (--> Riemergasse).
Correct, and the Riemergasse site has been sitting dead empty for years now. What a shame, as it is a beautiful old building... Btw, the Radisson Blu nearby (in an old Ringstrasse Palais) also closed recently and is supposed be be completely refurbished and reopened as a luxury hotel, although no operator has been announced yet. So Vienna stays interesting...

Regarding the Coburg, I got a tour when it opened and was there for drinks/dinner a couple of times when I still lived in Vienna. It's owned by fund manger/multi-millionaire Peter Pühringer, who also owns Parkhotel Vitznau in Switzerland. So it's more of a personal passion project than a money maker, and it shows - they spared no money and effort when restoring the palace to it's former glory, including the old roman foundations where the wine cellar is now located. The rooms (actually just suites) are the largest in Vienna. I'm sure it's a great experience. But personally, I don't need that much space when in Vienna, so I wouldn't stay there.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:41 am
BLV
Original Poster

After much deliberation I decided to go with Amanzoe.

That was until I got an email from Amex with their rates for August 2015.

€1600 for Pool Pavillion. Are they off their rocker???
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
How about Casa Del Mar in Corsica?

Not too easy to reach from NAP, though.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:40 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BLV
After much deliberation I decided to go with Amanzoe.

That was until I got an email from Amex with their rates for August 2015.

€1600 for Pool Pavillion. Are they off their rocker???
Exactly my feeling last year when I checked the rates. It is the double of a very expensive hotel and far above other Amans. Sorry, but there is a limit. At least for us.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:55 am
BLV
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Musken
Exactly my feeling last year when I checked the rates. It is the double of a very expensive hotel and far above other Amans. Sorry, but there is a limit. At least for us.
I was kind of/sort of ok with doing this year's rate but an almost €300 jump, really???
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

38 200m2+ 1BR villas with 6/12m pools, when it sells out it could have charged more

just one comparison >
http://www.hotel-du-cap-eden-roc.com.../rates2014.pdf
€930 25m2 traditional room
€1030 25m2 classic room
€1240 33m2 superior room
€1470 40m2 deluxe room
€2100 45m2 junior suite

Originally Posted by Musken
far above other Amans
2014 base private pool >
$1018-$1832 zoe
$1839-$2144 jena
$2029-$2263 sara - half board, alcohol, "twice daily private guided"
$2070-$2634 giri - full board
$1760-$2640 pulo - staffed
$2379-$3477 yara - usually half/full board, low season 5th nt free

2014 high season >
$1832 / $1968 - zoe - pool / deluxe pool
$1672 / $1823 / $2127 - ruya - garden / partial sea view / deluxe sea view
$1329 / $2166 - sveti stefan - village room ... deluxe seaview cottage with terrace

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 28, 2014 at 3:45 pm
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:05 am
BLV
Original Poster

Kage, thanks for the comparison chart, but in my case, that pool does absolutely nothing for me. It's too small for laps and would never see any use
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Here's an unusual candidate perhaps.

Grand Hotel Heiligendamm. 2 hour flight but would need a car to get there.
Directly on the beach, multiple restaurants including one with Michelin star, 2 tennis courts (amongst other leisure activities). Reservation staff were flexible when I last had contact with them. Note, I haven't stayed here as plans fell through, but it has a good reputation. Thought I would suggest something different though
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:07 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks Kage. Ok that it might not be most expensive with pool, but it is their "cheapest" room. At most other Amans you can choose to stay in a room without pool which is often perfect enough - or hope for an upgrade ;-)
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:41 pm
BLV
Original Poster

Perhaps a bit OT but, are there direct flights from ATH to NAP? I was under impression there are (to FCO, definitely yes) but none come up as available now. Can anyone confirm if there really is a nonstop flight in August? Trying to work in Amanzoe but seems like everything is working against that idea lol
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by BLV
Perhaps a bit OT but, are there direct flights from ATH to NAP? I was under impression there are (to FCO, definitely yes) but none come up as available now. Can anyone confirm if there really is a nonstop flight in August? Trying to work in Amanzoe but seems like everything is working against that idea lol
I have been over-optimistic regarding flights from NAP before, but there seems to be indeed a 3-times weekly direct flight by Meridiana Fly (IG391/IG392). Availabilities don't show up beyond May 2015, but this is the case for all Meridiana flights, so it's likely just not bookable yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.