Europe. Your ideas, please.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Europe. Your ideas, please.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

castiglion del bosco also has pool villas which Groombridge toured and was very positive about in his tuscany trip report

lots of good portugal discussion here, and they include michelin restaurants
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:54 pm
BLV
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kamel123
I have to correct myself - there is actually a direct flight from Naples to Tivat (which is the nearest airport to Sveti Stefan) with Montenegro Airlines, so should be easy to combine with San Pietro.

To Podgorica, there are also direct flights from Frankfurt, Zurich, Paris, ... so plenty of options if a stopover is acceptable for you.

In Tuscany, I can strongly recommend Castiglion del Bosco, but it's not a beach property, so probably better be enjoyed in Spring.
On Montenegro Airlines website I'm not seeing a direct flight from Podgorica to Naples. Otherwise, this would have been perfect. Argh.

However, there is a direct flight to Rome @:-)
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:08 pm

Very strange, indeed it doesn't show in the timetable.

However, there was a flight from Naples that landed at Tivat airport today (YM9121), you can see it on the Tivat airport website in the arrivals section. Maybe a charter flight?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:20 am

xxxx/

Last edited by Pausanias; Sep 20, 2014 at 5:34 am
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:54 am

Just a few ideas:
Close to the Cinque Terre: Excelsior Palace Hotel. However the beaches in the Cinque Terre are not the best….
Italian Lakes: Grand Hotel Tremezzo and Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni are beautiful properties…however I know you mentioned you wanted a sea resort.
Masseria san domenico is again another option has two tennis courts…700 m from the sea.
Sardinia - Hotel Pitrizza and Hotel Romazzino…I have heard mixed reviews on these properties…
As other people mentioned the Aman Sveti Stefan is a very popular choice…

If stopping by Vienna then obviously Hotel Imperial is the place to be.

Alex
Old Sep 20, 2014, 9:37 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
I have the impression that the newly opened Park Hyatt Vienna is a contender.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Yup good point! Either would be a good choice...
Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The Ritz-Carlton also looks very nice, and has the option of club access.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by BLV
Looking for a seaside destination in Europe during the summer that won't be more than a 2 hour flight away from Naples or can be in Italy as well.

A tennis court is preferred but not necessary, proximity to the sea/beach is important. Michelin restaurant on premises is helpful.

I'd like to think that I'm familiar with most of the properties fitting the criteria but just in case I'm overlooking something, somewhere, I am asking for your input or favorites.

Thanks!

P.S. Not interested in Mykonos & Santorini as well as Il Pellicano. Also, no Il San Pietro as this is where I'll be heading right afterwards
We love the Marbella Club and Puente Romanos in Marbella, the latter is particularly good for tennis, both have great pools and are on the beachfront. We also like the monte Carlo Bay with a massive beach like pool. LOVE Capri but no beaches there! Sardinia is also a nice option...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:19 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith

Alex
Just a quick warning here:
The Imperial is in the midst of a very strange renovation project (ground floor just completed) in order to "appeal to a younger audience". I think the result is terrible, especially the café and restaurant lost all their charm...

I agree with the recommendations for Park-Hyatt and the Ritz-Carlton
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
The Imperial is in the midst of a very strange renovation project (ground floor just completed) in order to "appeal to a younger audience". I think the result is terrible, especially the café and restaurant lost all their charm...

Interesting! Coudn`t find pictures in the net which looked terrible. My last visit was 2006, so don`t know the "new" Imperial by myself. Would perhaps choose the RC or even PH next time, but don`t think it will be so soon.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

since vienna has come up, thoughts (including recently) on palais coburg?

and perhaps sans souci as well ?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by vienna-resident

Interesting. I have just booked the Bristol for next summer so I will pass by to look at these 'improvements'
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:39 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Interesting! Coudn`t find pictures in the net which looked terrible. My last visit was 2006, so don`t know the "new" Imperial by myself. Would perhaps choose the RC or even PH next time, but don`t think it will be so soon.
Well, maybe calling it terrible is a bit too harsh. Here's a slideshow of the new ground floor. I have fond memories of the old, intimate cosy bar, which is now sadly gone (moved to the one of the salons). Also, the restaurant and café got a rather generic new look and could be anywhere in the world.

I attended the opening event after the renovations, which was a glitzy affair filled with pop music, weird modern art presentations/performances and B/C-list celebrities, all things symbolizing the "new Imperial" (as the GM said in his speech). Fair enough if their focus is now on the young + affluent target group. I just don't think going the "hip" way will work out...

Sorry for going a bit off topic here.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:15 pm

I just had a look at the Imperial this week and I found it quite nice. But I agree with you - the old bar was really something! I wanted to have a coffee at the new coffee shop but decided to leave.. they cooled down the rooms so that I didn't feel comfortable.

Regarding rooms I prefer the nearby Ritz Carlton (Premier upwards).
I'd probably go for the Park Hyatt next time.. they convinced me after a tour through the hotel. It has one of the best possible locations in Vienna in my point of view and definitely the best hotel spa.

Kempinski is great, but no good location. Sans Souci was also a nice place - interesting design (see website) but I didn't like the spa being overcrowded all the time (pls note: I was in Vienna during a period with bad weather).

And finally the Coburg: I'd also be interested to hear more about it. Seems to be a "mysterious" place.

One thing is certain however: The best hot chocolate is being served by the Sacher

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.