Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Fogo Island Inn, Newfoundland, Canada

Trip Report: Fogo Island Inn, Newfoundland, Canada

Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Ridefar, thank you so much - this place has been on my 'to go" list for awhile but having a detailed report like yours provides some extra motivation to get there before the year is over.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:03 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by blueline7
Gosh, I am Canadian and never even heard of this place. Remarkable architecture and an interesting proprietor. This place may have one of the, if not the, highest room rates in all of Canada, I would think, which is remarkable for such a location. What was occupancy like while you were there, by the way. Many thanks for this review.
You don't read enough magazines . I've read about the place before - probably in a design/architecture magazine. And it was definitely in the AC flight magazine:

http://enroute.aircanada.com/canadas...go-island-inn/

Albeit on a "best new restaurants" list (I went to the #2 place on the list last year - Shoto - and thought it was a great addition to the Toronto dining scene) - and Fogo was #3 (the place has only been open a little more than a year).

The only thing I can't understand is why the place doesn't have AC. Yes - I'm sure that the AC season is very short in this part of the world (the closest I've ever been is the Gaspe Peninsula and there was still snow on the ground in April when I went there). Even non-existent some years (it is *usually* cool in the summer). Still - the place can have highs in excess of 80. Just like Miami Beach can have lows < 50 in the winter. And you'd expect to be able to turn on the heat in a luxury hotel there if that happened.

Guess I am (more than) once bitten - (more than twice) shy. When I traveled to get out of the Miami heat when I was younger - I stayed at some places that boasted they didn't have AC because they didn't need it. And - of course - the weeks I stayed would be the times these places had unusual or even record heat . FWIW - I am nowhere near as heat sensitive as someone like bhrubin (we keep our AC at 76 in the summer). But anything higher than 76 inside - I can't sleep.

Also - when it comes to places like this - unless one is a pretty cold hardy tourist whose idea of a good time in a fairly isolated area is sitting inside next to a fireplace watching the weather and reading a good book - this is a less than great non-summer vacation spot. Here we are - on 9/14 - and the weather report is pretty much cool/overcast/rainy:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/CAXX1461

I would also expect travel weather delays a fair amount of the year (rain/snow/ice/etc.). Robyn
Old Sep 15, 2014, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ridefar thanks for posting this!

Mrs. Travelsig and I have been thinking of going here for a few years and I have a friend living in St. Johns which makes for a nice trip. We hesitated until now- I think your report will result in a visit from us next year.

Appreciate the detail.

One question- is there anywhere else to eat on the Island (worth visiting) besides the hotel? If so- then the full board option is probably not that interesting. If not- then it is more compelling.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Ridefar thanks for posting this!

Mrs. Travelsig and I have been thinking of going here for a few years and I have a friend living in St. Johns which makes for a nice trip. We hesitated until now- I think your report will result in a visit from us next year.

Appreciate the detail.

One question- is there anywhere else to eat on the Island (worth visiting) besides the hotel? If so- then the full board option is probably not that interesting. If not- then it is more compelling.
I believe that there is only one other place worth visiting to eat. Nicole's Cafe is a 5-10 minute walk from the Inn. We didn't eat there, but heard favourable reviews from a couple people at the Inn who did.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'm also Canadian and enjoyed learning about a place I had never heard of. Thank you for the great writeup!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting re the 2 saunas - http://www.fogoislandinn.ca/fii/saunas-and-stargazing/ >

south-facing saunas get direct sunlight pouring into the cabinet with inland views of the rocks, churches and local guild. The sauna to the north has views of the sea

roofttop deck is a great way of taking in the landscape and stargazing.
Originally Posted by robyng
only thing I can't understand is why the place doesn't have AC.
percentage-wise, "most" places dont. fogo island inn (and many other places) specifically mention enviroment >

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Originally Posted by C, Manager
You are quite right that we do not have a standard, recycled air conditioning system that is so environmentally unfriendly and unhealthy for humans. Instead, the Inn has a system that takes fresh air from the outside, cools it a bit if necessary and constantly circulates it throughout the building. Combined with windows that open onto the North Atlantic Ocean, we believe that our cooling system is more that up to the task of keeping our guests comfortable 99.99 per cent of the time. Given our location on the ocean and our moderate weather, there are very few extremely hot days in the summer. For those extremely hot days, we do have portable air conditioning units available should a guest feel the need for conventional cooling.
http://www.fogoislandinn.ca/fii/pres...the-landscape/

To help guide us in preserving and mending as much of the Inn’s natural surroundings as humanly possible, we hired two botanists familiar with the region...worked only inside the footprint of the building and driveway...took up mats of the natural vegetation that would have otherwise been destroyed. Similarly we salvaged any lichen-covered rock we could carry from the building site, and relayed them in rock beds on the rooftop...mend the edges of our building site
Ecological and self-sustaining systems were subtly integrated from the beginning of the project, incorporating the latest technologies to reduce and conserve energy and water usage. It is a highly insulated steel frame building and the windows have the equivalent rating of triple pane glazing. Rainwater from the roof is collected into two cisterns in the basement, filtered, and used for the toilet water and also to be used as a heat sink. The solar thermal on the outbuilding panels provide hot water for in-floor heating, laundry and kitchen equipment...The building hits the land directly without impacting the adjacent rocks, lichens and berries.
ECO‐FRIENDLY
The inn’s environmental impact has been carefully considered. Locally sourced, sustainable building materials where chosen whenever possible for everything from floors to furniture. Recycling and composting programs, rainwater catchment systems and renewable solar and wood-burning energy sources are in place throughout.

LOCAL RESTAURANTS
The island is tied to tradition, yet it’s the inventive twists on regional Newfoundland recipes that make Nicole’s Caf (+1 709 658 3663) a destination for locals and visitors, alike. House specialties usually include something just netted in the nearby ocean, like chef Nicole’s updated take on salted cod with bright, fresh greens from local gardens.
Originally Posted by ridefar
I believe that there is only one other place worth visiting to eat. Nicole's Cafe is a 5-10 minute walk from the Inn. We didn't eat there, but heard favourable reviews from a couple people at the Inn who did.
short walk, good to know.

https://lazydaysnl.wordpress.com/tag/nicoles-cafe/ and >
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._Labrador.html
their 3 fogo island inn reviews >
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...nd_Labrad.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 15, 2014 at 5:31 pm
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by robyng
Also - when it comes to places like this - unless one is a pretty cold hardy tourist whose idea of a good time in a fairly isolated area is sitting inside next to a fireplace watching the weather and reading a good book - this is a less than great non-summer vacation spot. Here we are - on 9/14 - and the weather report is pretty much cool/overcast/rainy:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/CAXX1461
As I spend a lot of time in SoCal, this type of weather is exactly what I look for sometimes.

Coupled with my general preference to travel in shoulder/off-peak seasons - less crowds, typically lower occupancy, sometimes better "values" - I am trying to sort out the travel to enjoy a few nights here in the dead of winter.

But I do get your point.

Also, thanks kage for all of the "Suggested Itinerary" links. Those are greatly helpful.

Lastly, thanks to the mods for tidying this up.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

question - the hotel does not discuss private boat tranfers? anyone know anything about that in the area?

Originally Posted by aa213bb
lower occupancy
agree, but even though i plan to travel to fogo "last minute" (when i do) i am not going to go during lowest season when weather is worst, because of logistics involved for fogo (and places like fogo island) - i plan to avoid ferry

Originally Posted by aa213bb
thanks kage for all of the "Suggested Itinerary" links. Those are greatly helpful.
fogo has really put together some great details
http://www.archive.org is my favorite "website"

added this edit to clarify one of my earlier compilations >
"i figured out what rooms are where by looking at plans"
(possible with their floorplan for entire hotel, not just rooms)

also, my posts are compilations. of rooms, environment, etc. hotel site actually includes MANY different things, with only a few details for each individual thing. so no emphasis on anything other than local, but that applies to everything. actually specifically re environment, note there are only 2 pretty short quotes. and only 1 from website, other 1 is from presskits/brochures. and the other 2 quotes are not from the hotel site. and 1 of those is 3rd party. also >
ive seen plenty of media/etc coverage, but didnt see any discuss the "context" mentioned by ridefar.
there is extremely little discussion of the following on the websites >
100% of operating surpluses are reinvested into the community
and note that quote is from foundation site, not hotel site

big thanks again to ridefar for all the details (not discussed elsewhere - plus service/food/rooms/excursions)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 18, 2014 at 7:10 pm
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold..Flying around the world
One of the most beautiful resorts in Canada
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
I was just at Fogo Island last week, and in case anybody is interested in reading if/how it's changed, here's my report with plenty of pics: Fogo Island Inn

The transportation situation has changed dramatically, unfortunately for the worse.

I would agree with ridefar overall, and in particular regarding NL and Atlantic Canada luxury properties - there are none at all.

If you have any questions, shoot a PM or post here.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:51 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by jlisi984
I was just at Fogo Island last week, and in case anybody is interested in reading if/how it's changed, here's my report with plenty of pics: Fogo Island Inn

The transportation situation has changed dramatically, unfortunately for the worse.
Fascinating review. I was engaged by every section. What a shame that it is an ordeal to get to the hotel. How ironic that it requires a night enroute where the best choice is a Comfort Inn. I had been mildly thinking about this property as it showed up last week in some "best of" list, so it was terrific to be given a reality check.

I do love a water view, and your pictures of views from the room and restaurant were mesmerizing. I'd happily sit for hours looking out.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:24 am

Thanks. Would love to visit. Is the helicopter transfer per person? If not it is quite a good rate.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by erik123
Thanks. Would love to visit. Is the helicopter transfer per person? If not it is quite a good rate.
It is for the entire helicopter... They seemed to have two different helis visiting - don't expect VIP luxury of course.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Thanks for the review jlisi. I saw that you were playing there, and was tempted to go... It is a very long way from YYC however! Your report is lovely, and makes me want to return even more.

Kage... no private boat transfers that I know of, and I don't believe it would be practical or safe with the variable weather -- not without a boat that would be very large and therefore prohibitively expensive. There is a an airstrip on the island, or the helicopter, but I really think if you are there for more than a couple days you want a car. So yeah, nothing but bad options really to get there. Not sure what the hotel could do about that--maybe include a car with the helicopter fee?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
ore.

Kage... no private boat transfers that I know of, and I don't believe it would be practical or safe with the variable weather --
If the boat can't go, neither will the helicopter (with few exceptions). The difficulty of getting there is part of the attraction and filters out many people that wouldn't appreciate it. In that sense it is remote.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.