Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Traveling for Culture and Where to Stay

Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:36 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

We travel frequently for art and culture, usually art museum exhibitions and music, symphony and opera in the main but also for theatre.

We live just south of San Francisco so when we go to SF Symphony or SF Opera or the American Conservatory theatre we stay at the Mandarin Oriental or the Ritz Carlton (love their Club Lounge).

In Los Angeles (the two Getty's, LA Country Museum of Art, the LA Philharmonic) we abide with the Peninsula Beverly Hills or the Beverly Hills Hotel.

In London for The Proms or the theatre, we choose The Savoy. In Paris for opera it's Le Bristol. Glyndebourne Opera is on our radar which works out very well because we love Gravetye Manor.

Santa Fe hosts a famous summer opera program but we've not yet gotten there. Where to stay?

Then there's Tanglewood in the summer in the Berkshires; sounds wonderful plus a plethora of luxe places to stay in those environs. Also Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival. Where to stay?

And, of course, Spoleto! Where to stay in Charleston?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 1:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
La Poseda de Santa Fe? It's SPG LC now.

There's also the traditional hotel in the center of town, but to me it seems too big, although they may have some good suites; their restaurant is an advantage but it can be better to leave the hotel as Santa Fe has many very good restaurants.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 12:30 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by KatW
And, of course, Spoleto! Where to stay in Charleston?
Love Charleston. love Spoleto. Great restaurants as well.. but honestly for Charleston to make the jump to a world city it needs to have a world class hotel... and it just doesn't. Individual hotels have some elements of it but no hotel has the complete package.. we visit about once a year and used to live there...

Thoughts:
Charleston Place has a great location. Spa is the best in town. The saltwater pool is quite nice. It's a hotel that was built in the 80s and originally an Omni if I'm not mistaken... it's currently getting renovated... I actually quite like the new decor (take a look at the premier room; that's the direction of the new design). however, the footprint of the rooms and bathrooms are the same. Bathrooms especially are dated... they either have a shower tub combination or just a shower. I think some suites have a separate shower and tub but none had been renovated. We stayed in a suite on our last visit and quite liked it. Like I said I like the palate a lot. We took breakfast in room every morning and were very happy with that option. But, it's a large hotel (?> 400 rooms) and busy so while service is good;it's a bit impersonal. I do believe that there is a club level but I would skip that option. there are so many good restaurants in Charleston it's better to be out eating... definitely though go for a renovated room.. the rest of the hotel still reflects the old aesthetic and I'm not sure what the plan for that is...

Some pictures from our stay:

French Quarter Inn
Also good location; we only stayed there once. I was underwhelmed by the room if I recall

Market Pavillion Inn
Reasonable location on east bay and the market. Nice hard product. All rooms with separate shower and tub. Hermes products. Absolutely atrocious service. Pool but more of a bar space. Weird lobby space shared with a restaurant. I would skip

Wentworth mansion
My favorite hotel. Great great rooms. Big bathrooms, gas fireplaces. Love reading on the day bed. It's my favorite room to spend a January day. Some spa treatments available. Free parking. Great three course breakfast (no room service). No pool. Biggest drawback is absolutely horrible location (though 1 block from where I used to live)..

I've heard good things about Zero George and the Restoration on king; both boutiquey....

FDW
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:13 pm
Suspended

I lived in Charleston for 6+ years, quite recently actually.

I've been to almost every hotel in the HD.

Zero George....I mean really, top 5 hotel of anywhere I've stayed. World class is an understatement. ZG has a B&B feel with full hotel amenities. The food is awesome and the lobby is actually a kitchen. When you walk in the check-in area, you're in a full restaurant kitchen. Sounds kitschy, but it's so tastefully done you feel like you're in Tuscany or something.

Restoration on King is also a world class hotel, but keep in mind --> it's basically a condo/apartment [full kitchen]. The project was supposed to be condos and developer ended up needing short term cash I believe, so they're full service hotel rooms. Breakfast is amazing here, and it's delivered to your door with the paper in a basket. [The top floor does have a few actual apartments, and a celeb or two live in the building.]

Not a fan of Charleston Place, as the place has taken on the feel of a convention center. Feels like your run of the mill Ritz-Carlton now. Impersonal = good assessment. Keep in mind: the lobby is essentially a public right-of-way, and [while I don't blame them], hundreds cut through the lobby to use the A/C while getting from Market to King. It also has that shopping mall vibe [Gucci, Tommy Bahama, etc].

Vendue Inn is a good luxury option, going through a massive renovation right now, so if you're going --> make sure to request a room at the "Vendue Suites" - not in the main building. I thought our suite [all suite property on the Vendue Suite side of the hotel] was a 10/10, both for hard product and soft. That said, I wouldn't call the main building luxury, at all [more of a 3.5-4 star product].

Market Pavilion, part of LHW. I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I think they have some of the nicer rooms in the city [as FDW pointed out]. They're quite beautiful. The views looking at Fort Sumter are nice as well. But, the lobby is a steakhouse [a good one at that, Grill 225], and the rooftop literally turns into a night club at night. I like to stay here during off-season, when the area is quiet. Otherwise, I'd skip, as the Market/East Bay are my least favorite areas of the HD.

Wentworth Mansion, in my mind, is a world-class hotel. To call the place gorgeous is an understatement of epic proportions. [FDW, if you don't like WM's location, you'll hate Zero George's, being that it's on the corner of East Bay and George St., near Harris Teeter.] Personally, I like the location of WM, because Wentworth is a beautiful residential area walkable to King/Queen without being in the middle of things. [I lived at 74 Wentworth for 2 years, also lived in Colonial Lake.] I'd say Wentworth is a 5-10 min. walk from almost everything. Yea, wouldn't want to do it during the summer...but any other time of year, great!

I always recommend WM or ZG if you're been to Charleston before and know the lay of the land.

If you haven't been before, I recommend RoK.

If those don't appeal to you, then Market Pavilion or CP.

FWIW: both the French Quarter Inn & Planters Inn are supposed to be absolute gems. They're the only ones in the HD I've never stayed at, oddly [next to John Rutledge House]. Also, skip Harbourview Inn, despite the good reviews. People are sold on the location [Pineapple Fountain & East Bay] but I think its very Marriott-esque.

Last edited by pricesquire; Sep 6, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Restoration on King pictures: entry level room

[There are two bathrooms - one master, one powder]
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:21 pm
Suspended

These pictures do not do this property justice. Furthermore, they're mostly pictures of the outside/grounds. Didn't get pictures of the lobby/kitchen/restaurant/bathroom, as this was before I obsessively took pictures of hotel rooms

Zero George

Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:24 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I lived in Charleston for 6+ years, quite recently actually.

I've been to almost every hotel in the HD.

Zero George....I mean really, top 5 hotel of anywhere I've stayed. World class is an understatement. ZG has a B&B feel with full hotel amenities. The food is awesome and the lobby is actually a kitchen. When you walk in the check-in area, you're in a full restaurant kitchen. Sounds kitschy, but it's so tastefully done you feel like you're in Tuscany or something.
Top 5? Really.. wow then I might have to give it a try... I'ld love to be surprised by it... I've always stayed away because of the room size. Location doesn't bother me as long as it's not summer.
Not a fan of Charleston Place, as the place has taken on the feel of a convention center. Feels like your run of the mill Ritz-Carlton now. Impersonal = good assessment. Keep in mind: the lobby is essentially a public right-of-way, and [while I don't blame them], hundreds cut through the lobby to use the A/C while getting from Market to King. It also has that shopping mall vibe [Gucci, Tommy Bahama, etc].
I agree it's got a horrible feel; especially as a cut through (but great clean bathrooms for the cut throughers). I've always been reluctant to stay at CP because the impression I've had is that it's a tired hotel. I peeked into a couple of the unrenovated rooms. Mass retching is the impulse I had. Yellows and florals.. very very unappealing...I went in with very low expectations, merely choosing the hotel because of its location. My expectations were indeed surpassed. And, it's quite nice to have the pool option during the summer.. our massage treatments were also quite nice... of note this hotel is both Virtuoso and FHR but the included breakfast is continental only. (or continental credit)

Vendue Inn is a good luxury option, going through a massive renovation right now, so if you're going --> make sure to request a room at the "Vendue Suites" - not in the main building. I thought our suite [all suite property on the Vendue Suite side of the hotel] was a 10/10, both for hard product and soft. That said, I wouldn't call the main building luxury, at all [more of a 3.5-4 star product].
i considered Vendue Inn as well.. I noticed that they seemed to have some nice looking rooms on their website, but I couldn't find out too much more info about them. I guess I would give them a try next time I'm there...

Market Pavilion, part of LHW. I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I think they have some of the nicer rooms in the city [as FDW pointed out]. They're quite beautiful. The views looking at Fort Sumter are nice as well. But, the lobby is a steakhouse [a good one at that, Grill 225], and the rooftop literally turns into a night club at night. I like to stay here during off-season, when the area is quiet. Otherwise, I'd skip, as the Market/East Bay are my least favorite areas of the HD.
We stayed here our wedding night. I didn't expect any special treatment (nor did I receive any) but they placed us in a second floor room right above a raucous party that went till probably 2 AM. I called multiple times to complain about the noise and all they could tell me is that it would be over eventually.. I'll never go back....

Wentworth Mansion, in my mind, is a world-class hotel. To call the place gorgeous is an understatement of epic proportions. [FDW, if you don't like WM's location, you'll hate Zero George's, being that it's on the corner of East Bay and George St., near Harris Teeter.] Personally, I like the location of WM, because Wentworth is a beautiful residential area walkable to King/Queen without being in the middle of things. [I lived at 74 Wentworth for 2 years, also lived in Colonial Lake.] I'd say Wentworth is a 5-10 min. walk from almost everything. Yea, wouldn't want to do it during the summer...but any other time of year, great!
I lived at 55 Ashley for 4 years. Right on Colonial lake as well. Wentworth is my favorite in the city. Absolutely amazing rooms; great service. My mom had a cancer workup at MUSC and I put her up at Wentworth and they treated her like the queen she is....

I always recommend WM or ZG if you're been to Charleston before and know the lay of the land.

If you haven't been before, I recommend RoK.

If those don't appeal to you, then Market Pavilion or CP.
I usually recommend FQI before ROK for 1st timers but after my last stay I'll recommend Charleston Place.. it's slowly improving and I think it'll be better than the ho hum RC (i.e. RC Bulkhead). I place French Quarter Inn about the same place as a ho hum RC as well....

Sounds like for my next stay I need to consider Zero George or Vendue Suites, but might head back to Wentworth...

One option; though way far afield is the Sanctuary at Kiawah.. 45-50 minutes away but great golf and beaches... I never stay out there because I love Charleston but my buddy goes down 3 times a year.. he rates it as his second favorite hotel in the USA, behind FS Maui...

As far as cultural stuff.. Spoleto is wonderful. But the city is an absolute zoo around that time... for me it was one and done. I would rather come back in the quite period (January/February) and just eat. So many amazing food choice for a small city. We usually spend 3 nights and it's not enough... there is also a great cocktail scene showing up... the guys that make Bittermilk mixers are out of Charleston at the Gin Joint which is my new favorite place to get a drink (insane bourbon list). You can't go wrong visiting Charleston...

FDW
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Well, for starts...Gin Joint (trying not to be hyperbolic) has gotta be one of the best bars in the country right now. As you pointed out, the bourbon list alone is, well, insane. I don't even like mixed drinks (I like my drinks neat), but at GJ I go for the mixed drinks, because they're just that innovative.

If you lived at 55 Ashley, we were basically neighbors. I was at the corner of Beaufain and Rutledge, at Berkley Court Apartments.

Re: Zero George... just a few tid bits to explain why I was so blown away (don't want anyone walking in expecting a StR NYC/George V/your lux hotel of choice). For starters, entry level rooms are small. The place is "comfy" - don't go expecting to pay rack rates and a huge room. That said, the rooms are very well appointed. Everything down to the towels, rugs, cloth used to cover the chair, is very high quality. The bedding is top notch. Again, it almost feels like you're in someone's house...that kind of care was put into the rooms. Also, the "porch atmosphere" was just so welcoming. I'm kind of an introvert, my wife is an extrovert, but free wine happy hour on the porch was just awesome. We both had a blast...it had enough people where you could find someone to talk to, or you could sit alone and read a book. Lastly, the benne wafers they put in your room everyday are one of the best in-room amenities, ever.

The food + kitchen (and its interplay with the check-in process) was so unique, I haven't seen anything like it. Their head chef was literally shaving proscuitto and blanching white asparagus, while front desk was serving us wine and checking us in.

Anyone whose used to staying at nice places know that a "luxury hotel" goes beyond a good hard product. ZG is not perfect, I'm not claiming that. But the sum of all its parts makes ZG one of the most pleasant stays I've had anywhere. I think it's especially nice for someone, like yourself, who used to live in CHS (or who, at minimum, is familiar with the HD). Laugh all you want, but being able to walk to Harris Teeter or even Big John's Tavern (hah) was very nice.

Wentworth has amazing soft product, and it is no surprise how they treated your mom during her MUSC stint.

Vendue is kind of bipolar. Just to reiterate (I'd hate it anyone made the same mistake I made): do not stay in the main house until the refurb is done. Vendue Suites is where you want to be until then.

I try to avoid Charleston in May due to Spoleto. That said, the week prior to Spoleto is a great time to find hotel deals. My favorite times for Charleston are: Fall and Winter (too much pollen in Spring for me).

PM me or keep me in the back of your mind next time you're in CHS. We're there 3-4x a year, and very well may move back there in the near future. Would love to meet another FT'er.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Oh, one more thing Re: Charleston Place - you may especially find this interesting. [I agree it's on the up and up, refurb and renovation wise, but I'm not sold on making it my hotel of choice...yet]

Apparently Virtuoso has wanted to explore other CHS options, and other hotels have applied for preferred partner status w/ Virtuoso. Charleston Place (read: Belmond) has been "blocking" the addition of any new hotels in the HD. I see why - they want to be the only V option in the HD...but it is interesting that others are applying.

FWIW, the word is if there's a new Virtuoso hotel in the HD, Market Pavilion would be it.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:47 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Oh, one more thing Re: Charleston Place - you may especially find this interesting. [I agree it's on the up and up, refurb and renovation wise, but I'm not sold on making it my hotel of choice...yet]

Apparently Virtuoso has wanted to explore other CHS options, and other hotels have applied for preferred partner status w/ Virtuoso. Charleston Place (read: Belmond) has been "blocking" the addition of any new hotels in the HD. I see why - they want to be the only V option in the HD...but it is interesting that others are applying.

FWIW, the word is if there's a new Virtuoso hotel in the HD, Market Pavilion would be it.
I will say as a virtuoso guest I found the recognition quite good. I was in contact with the hotel before hand and they offered to upgrade me from a jr suite to a 1 bedroom suite prior to arrival. In addition, they ensured that it was a renovated suite as well. The front desk acknowledged the virtuoso benefits too. Finally I received a bottle of wine and a nice pimento cheese and crackers amenity. I've definitely had worse virtuoso recognition at other hotels.

Do you know anything about the Rutledge inn? I think it's owned by the same people as wentworth.

Perhaps this should actually be split into a charleston sc thread...

FDW
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I will say as a virtuoso guest I found the recognition quite good. I was in contact with the hotel before hand and they offered to upgrade me from a jr suite to a 1 bedroom suite prior to arrival. In addition, they ensured that it was a renovated suite as well. The front desk acknowledged the virtuoso benefits too. Finally I received a bottle of wine and a nice pimento cheese and crackers amenity. I've definitely had worse virtuoso recognition at other hotels.
Yeah, I've heard that. And that's why I feel OK sending others there. It's just not my personal favorite [otherwise, it's a completely serviceable 4-5 star hotel].

Do you know anything about the Rutledge inn? I think it's owned by the same people as wentworth.
I've wondered the same thing [regarding ownership] for awhile. I can't tell if they're just in the same 'network' or 'association' - or whether it's genuinely one owner? I do know that they rep Circa 1886 - and send their clients there.

Here's the assoc., for what it's worth: http://www.charminginns.com/inns-restaurant/

I haven't stayed there [it's 1 of 3 in the HD I haven't checked out]. That said, I've heard/seen conflicting things. On the one hand, reviews - both online and from friends - are pretty good, bordering on great. On the other hand, I've seen pictures [both on TA and otherwise] and the place just looks so, so dated. I've never really had an urge to stay there, but if the opportunity arose, I'd check it out in a heartbeat.

Perhaps this should actually be split into a charleston sc thread...
Hah, yeah probably. In our defense, the OP did ask about 6+ destinations, so it was inevitable something like this would happen.

I do think a "Luxury hotels of Charleston SC" thread would be a huge benefit to this forum. I was thinking about writing a post about it myself within the next few months [was going to CHS for a week and was going to hotel hop until I had enough info for a lengthy write up -- I still may do this]
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've wondered the same thing [regarding ownership] for awhile. I can't tell if they're just in the same 'network' or 'association' - or whether it's genuinely one owner? I do know that they rep Circa 1886 - and send their clients there. Here's the assoc., for what it's worth: http://www.charminginns.com/
richard (rick) widman >
1982 founded http://www.charminginns.com/about/
1983 opened kings courtyard inn
1997 became fourth owner of wentworth
owns john rutledge house inn, circa 1886, fulton lane inn
(all this from hotel website pdfs under media)

looking elsewhere, he owns a house at wild dunes
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:32 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Great and detailed info on where to stay in Charleston, much appreciated.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...lli-opera.html (feltrinelli is 21 rooms)
great comments on R&C villa del quar > http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-chateaux.html
http://palazzovictoria.com/ in verona >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.elitetraveler.com/travel-...t-your-service
Il Salviatino Collection. A second property opened in Verona, two more will come in Rome and Venice...Guests don’t just recommend Il Salviatino, they recommend (read: insist upon) specific service ambassadors for their friends and relatives. Which is exactly the effect Pigozzo had hoped for.
Originally Posted by Groombridge
Il Salviatino: High points: the best service I’ve ever experienced in Italy, much more like an Aman in its warmth, spontaneity, personal touches, and generosity of spirit. Very good food – with the best breakfasts of the trip from a superb menu.
aman venice (24 rooms) may have opportunities via owners (count & princess)
there may also be interesting guests at aman venice during major events

The Lodge (9 rooms) verbier during verbier festival >

guests included...famous participant in verbier festival, who spoke with the guests at their end of the table at their first meal.
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
Food...fabulous: As we were the only guests, we had our 'private chef' who consulted with us every afternoon regarding the dinner menu
there are properties in europe that have culture onsite, like http://www.schloss-elmau.de/english/...nts/index.html

villa tre ville (15 bedrooms) >

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...ome-sold-hotel
reopens as luxury hotel – three years after sale...For 35 years, until [http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco_Zeffirelli] sold it in 2007... estate's links with the arts go back to the 1920s...Guests will even be able to browse through the books [Zeffirelli] left behind...greenhouse, made from part of the set for one of Zeffirelli's productions of [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_traviata], had been kept and adapted for use as accommodation
http://www.architecturaldigest.com/r...-ville-article
when [http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Schnabel] stayed here recently, he paid tribute to a long-lost artist friend from Positano by painting the words HUMANITY ASLEEP over a traditional Sicilian puppet-theater backdrop in one of the living rooms.
It's much smaller and a lot more intimate than the other high-end places. All staff members know your name and your preferences, no need for a menu as you can discuss your dinner preferences directly with the chef - I loved it and can't wait to go back.
I really enjoyed Hotel Villa Tre Ville in Positano. Service was excellent, great food, beautiful views, the rooms quite big with great bathrooms, and the ambiance of the whole place felt like being back in the Golden Era. The estate belonged to an Italian composer, but was just recently completely refurbished. The have a complimentary house shuttle boat to transport guests between the Positano marina and the hotel.
bernstein suite shower looks incredible: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Locati..._Campania.html
possibly the largest en-suite shower anywhere? possibly by a reasonably significant margin too

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 7, 2014 at 4:47 pm
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:13 am
Suspended

Still waiting for this thread to be retitled under 'Luxury hotels of CHS'....in the meantime, no idea where else to post this.

The NYT just wrote a review of Zero George (albeit: extremely brief).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/tr...tml?ref=travel

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.