Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Germany - road trip between luxury hotels - ideas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Germany - road trip between luxury hotels - ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
VK is probably the top in Frankfurt. Location is a bit adrift, and the style is not everyone's thing, but you really can't go wrong there.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:49 am

Travelling from one big city to another isn't quite what the OP had in mind, I think. The whole point about a driving trip is to avoid cities and relish the road, the scenery and major sights, such as Ludwig's castles on the Deutsche Alpenstrassse, arguably the best drive in the country.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Travelling from one big city to another isn't quite what the OP had in mind, I think. The whole point about a driving trip is to avoid cities and relish the road, the scenery and major sights, such as Ludwig's castles on the Deutsche Alpenstrassse, arguably the best drive in the country.
I tend to recommend that people doing European Delivery do go to smaller villages and places they would not fly into per se.

The OP was not very specific in his initial request beyond asking for hotels, however.

My list includes Dürnstein, Königstein im Taunus, Berchtesgaden, Bozen, and other such places situated along very beautiful driving routes including the Deutsche Alpenstraße.

The Großglockner Hochalpenstraße is even more beautiful by the way.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by jspira
I'm not sure how this fits into any of the itineraries we are discussing in this thread.
Originally Posted by jspira
I'm not sure how this fits into any of the itineraries we are discussing in this thread.
I should have been more specific I guess.

Rather than starting a new thread and since this thread is current and covers ,as it were Germany luxury hotels ... And because I Shall be in Frankfurt soon ...thus the question .

Jumeirah or VK ...

Or in the event the Porsche or BMW the OP is driving on this road trip suddenly breaks down near Frankfurt .... A luxury hotel awaits ...
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick
Or in the event the Porsche or BMW the OP is driving on this road trip suddenly breaks down in Frankfurt .... A luxury hotel awaits ...
Picking myself up off the floor after reading this...
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick

Rather than starting a new thread and since this thread is current and covers ,as it were Germany luxury hotels ... And because I Shall be in Frankfurt soon ...thus the question .

Jumeirah or VK ...
I'd wager there's a thread on Frankfurt luxury hotels in this sub forum because the sub forum is quite comprehensive and well organized. I haven't stayed at either so I can't be of any help. I did really like the Hessischer Hof and its newly renovated suites on my last two stays (it's a great location and, while not at the top of the heap of luxury hotels, it has its charms).
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Flying Club
Further research ....

Perhaps some clarification is in order, I do want to go off the beaten path, and visit places I would not. Traveling from one major city to another is not the idea here.

Let me do some research on the ideas mentioned so far, and I will seek additional feedback.

Cheers everyone!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by indianenglish
Perhaps some clarification is in order, I do want to go off the beaten path, and visit places I would not. Traveling from one major city to another is not the idea here.

Let me do some research on the ideas mentioned so far, and I will seek additional feedback.
Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions that don't quite fit into the forum. I do driving trips like this in the region 4 to 5 times a year.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:56 am
In memoriam

If the OP winds up near Cologne - I'd recommend either the Grandhotel Schloss Bensberg (where I've stayed) or possibly the Schlosshotel Lerbach. Both are part of the Althoff group - they're close to one another - and both have excellent restaurants (3 and 2 Michelin stars respectively - we dined at both):

http://www.althoffhotels.com/en/hotel-collection

Both are easy commuter train trips into Cologne (which has a world class cathedral and a world class "pop art" museum as well as lots of Kolsch beer ). And I recall that the Schloss Bensberg has a great parking lot (if I were driving a new car I'd be worried about "door dings" ).

I've also stayed at the MO in Munich and the RC in Berlin. Can recommend both of those as well (and have written them up here in another thread). BTW - we took trains on our trip - not a car. Robyn

P.S. The OP's trip to Germany is in January. Wouldn't snow/ice be a factor in terms of driving in many parts of Germany that time of year? Doubt a car destined for California will have snow tires. Also - there may be places that are better seen in spring/summer/fall than winter.

Last edited by robyng; Sep 7, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:27 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have moved a number of posts about winter tires for cars delivered in Germany to the Omni forum, to this new thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14479

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have had many a fantastic meal at Schloss Bensberg. Makes a nice change from the EHE in town.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:43 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have had many a fantastic meal at Schloss Bensberg. Makes a nice change from the EHE in town.
I've written up our meal at Vendome - and the reservation screw-up there - a couple of times here. And won't repeat. But we had seriously good food there - and the hotel made more than copious amends for the screw-up (e.g., complimentary limo to/from airport). We also dined at Restaurant Lerbach (then Dieter Muller - I think he's retired now) when the restaurant had 3 stars. Seriously good as well. Amazing cheese course. The 2 restaurants aren't more than a 10-15 minute drive away from one another. And - at least when we stayed there - transportation between the 2 locations was complimentary.

The hard product at Schloss Bensberg was a little quirky for my taste. Things ranging from bad internet (the place has all those solid rock walls!) to tubs you need mountain climbing equipment to enter - to sleeping areas on raised platforms (I'm always afraid of tripping and falling going to the bathroom in the middle of the night in the dark). But still very nice. Robyn
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
I would stay away from Vier Jahreszeiten in Munich if you want a luxury experience. The MO is the only luxury level hotel in Munich.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I stayed there once for a conference and was distinctly underwhelmed although location is nice.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Raffles
location is nice.
True, but MO is more or less similar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.