Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

US road trip between luxury hotels - ideas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US road trip between luxury hotels - ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:43 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Regarding Dunton Hot springs: Rates for what looks like comfortable, but pretty small and rustique cottages are at Amangiri-level!!! Is it really worth it? We are happy to pay for Aman accommodation and service at an Aman because we know what we get, but this was rather shocking.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xracer
You're not going to find luxury between SLC and Grand Junction, but this is around a four hour drive, so you probably don't really need it. That route does take you just north of Arches, so if you felt the need to stop, you could.
in that region, the drive between gunnison and montrose airports was great
hopefully in future someone will reopen elk mountain resort as luxury hotel

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
three forks ranch could be used by those driving between colorado and wyoming
anyone heard anything?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ux-hotels.html
includes a route a car manufacturer took to all 48 continental states

re southeast >
kiawah island [sanctuary]
(~3 hours)
inn palmetto bluff
(~3 hours)
sea island [cloister/lodge] / little st simons island
anyone heard anything re little st simons island?

re (montage) palmetto expansion/construction >

new rooms wont be open until 2016 or later
Originally Posted by Musken
Rates...Amangiri-level!!! Is it really worth it...rather shocking.
dunton is also giri / gani / FS santa fe owner >
http://www.canyonequity.com/operating_resorts.html

all-inclusive including alcohol
giri is only full board excluding

"up to 44 people" and 2 cabins accept pets
amangiri is up to 136 people excluding villa

giri before going full board >
Maximum occupancy is four guests with a maximum of three adults...charge of US$[157] per night is applicable to each additional bedding
Musken, what did giri charge for your son? do they differentiate by age?

dunton >
662 994
883 1214
____ 1546
1214 1656
1270 1656
1325 1766 2BR (+662 for 4)
1435 1987 2BR (+662 for 4) / 3BR (+1325 for 6)
1546 2098 (hot spring)
1546 2098 3BR (+1325 for 6)
1656 2208 5BR (+2650 for 10)
includes 10.4% (7.5% service and 2.9% tax)

giri from 1505 / 1882 includes 25.45% (4BR is 10,036)

Auberge @ Element 52 comes to mind.
condo building - missing some hotel services
(no restaurant / room service / housekeeping)
but dont recall telluride being known for other good hotels

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 1, 2014 at 6:54 am
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:38 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Regarding Dunton Hot springs: Rates for what looks like comfortable, but pretty small and rustique cottages are at Amangiri-level!!! Is it really worth it? We are happy to pay for Aman accommodation and service at an Aman because we know what we get, but this was rather shocking.
I have to admit that I've always been torn about the place myself. On one hand, the few people I know who have been have raved about it. On the other, when I look at pictures I agree with you (OK, but not great accommodations and facilities and high prices - especially in summer). Although I believe the rates are all inclusive.

I think part of the draw here is feeling like one is in a secluded rustic cabin in the 'old American West', but still having creature comforts. I think the small size of the place is also a factor in the cost. I have not been a guest there - maybe others here who have been can chime in.

There are some other options if you want to stay around Telluride - Auberge @ Element 52 comes to mind.

Having said all of this - in comparison I also think Amangiri was pretty overpriced for what you got and while the location was spectacular, I did not find the resort design or service to be up to the same standard. I think the prices for small and unique properties in the area are pretty high because there is very little competition at that level.

Last edited by xracer; Aug 31, 2014 at 4:46 pm
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:04 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

I have to admit that I've always been torn about the place myself. On one hand, the few people I know who have been have raved about it. On the other, when I look at pictures I agree with you (OK, but not great accommodations and facilities and high prices - especially in summer). Although I believe the rates are all inclusive.

I think part of the draw here is feeling like one is in a secluded rustic cabin in the 'old American West', but still having creature comforts. I think the small size of the place is also a factor in the cost. I have not been a guest there - maybe others here who have been can chime in.

There are some other options if you want to stay around Telluride - Auberge @ Element 52 comes to mind.

Having said all of this - in comparison I also think Amangiri was pretty overpriced for what you got and while the location was spectacular, I did not find the resort design or service to be up to the same standard. I think the prices for small and unique properties in the area are pretty high because there is very little competition at that level.
Thank you. Amangiri rates were also including full board and drinks, but no alcohol. We absolutely loved the resort design and found the service to be very good - not perfect, but just a tiny bit behind the best Amanresorts in Asia.

Would love to hear from someone here that has actually stayed at the Dunton hot springs to give some more detail about service and food.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:06 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Musken, what did giri charge for your son? do they differentiate by age?

Do not remember. We paid for accommodation incl. full board before going there meaning a long time ago. However, generally they charge lower rates for kids food.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thank you. Amangiri rates were also including full board and drinks, but no alcohol.
Is it new? I paid for every little sandwich..... Also can`t see full board rates on their Website. Bye the way the "new" rates are incredible 1500 ++ for the cheapest room is crazy. OK, it`s a nice Hotel, but 1000 ++ was more than enough. Only my thoughts....

Last edited by offerendum; Sep 1, 2014 at 2:05 am
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:33 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Is it new? I paid for every little sandwich..... Also can`t see full board rates on their Website. Bye the way the "new" rates are incredible 1500 ++ for the cheapest room is crazy. OK, it`s a nice Hotel, but 1000 ++ was more than enough. Only my thoughts....
From Amangiri internet site:

notes
Rates are per room, per night, based on single or double occupancy.
Rates are subject to 4.25% transient room tax, 4.25% state occupancy tax, 6.95% sales tax and 10% service charge.
Food and Beverage charges are subject to a country restaurant tax of 1%, sales tax of 6.95% and 18% service charge.
Rates include full board for two people.
All rates and government charges are subject to change without notice.
Rates include complimentary airport transfers from Page Municipal Airport, daily guided group hikes, daily morning group yoga classes, daily afternoon group mat-based strength and stretch classes and access to facilities at the fitness and water pavilions.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

From Amangiri internet site:
Thanks. I read it a few hours ago and didn`t see it. I`m getting old or stupid or both
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:31 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks. I read it a few hours ago and didn`t see it. I`m getting old or stupid or both
I did not see it at first either, had another answer written, but then suddenly I noticed. So then we are two getting old, stupid or both.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:02 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
...I find charleston is in dire need of a great hotel. The sanctuary on Kiawah might be the closest thing to it. Actually while inn and palmetto bluff is under construction that's probably your best bet. Charleston does have the highest concentration of great restaurants though.

FDW
The problem with Kiawah is it's not that convenient to downtown. And many of the restaurants one might want to try and/or things one might want to see are downtown. Also - the traffic/parking downtown is pretty awful. On our last trip - a couple of years ago - we walked and took pedicabs almost everywhere (except to see some out-of-downtown gardens) - and that was nice. I would recommend Kiawah only if someone wanted a beach/golf.

BTW - we stayed at one of the few smoking properties in Charleston on our last trip - the Doubletree. Definitely not luxury but great location. Time before that was Charleston Place. Nicer than Doubletree - but not that much nicer. Not enough to justify the price difference IMO (our last trip - during spring high season - the Doubletree was about $150/night and Charleston Place was about $400). But - like I said - I based my decision on the availability of smoking rooms - not price. Robyn
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

I did not see it at first either, had another answer written, but then suddenly I noticed. So then we are two getting old, stupid or both.
Thanks for the solace
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:33 am
In memoriam

...You could start out at Jackson Hole (Amangani), then head south to SLC (lots of nice resorts in/around Park City)...
We've stayed at the Stein Eriksen Lodge in Deer Valley (very near Park City) before. And it was quite nice. At least in terms of a ski resort (can't speak about summer activities). Took a quick look - and rack rate for a 2000 sf 2 bedroom suite is $700 next summer (compared with $2k+ for this room in high ski season). There are also "stay 2 nights - get 1 free" offers available on certain dates as well. IOW - there are definitely some good deals available in this part of the world in the summer.

There are lots of other nearby ski areas - including Snowbird and Alta - Park City - day areas like Brighton - etc. But you're most likely to find "luxury" in Deer Valley. OTOH - some of the other ski resorts - especially Snowbird - offer amazing gondola rides:

http://www.allparkcity.com/summer_re...dola_rides.php

So they're worth a day trip.

Deer Valley is very convenient to Salt Lake City - about a 40 minute drive - so it's easy to take a day trip there. Salt Lake City isn't the most thrilling city in the world - but there's certainly enough to keep someone busy for a day or two. We particularly enjoyed watching the Mormon Tabernacle Choir rehearse and exploring the genealogical library (perhaps the best in the world)*:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...City_Utah.html

Robyn

P.S. The reason the genealogical library is so fantastic is that Mormons believe in baptizing their dead ancestors retroactively (the church is relatively new - so many ancestors probably weren't Mormons). Whatever one thinks of the theology - it makes for a superb genealogical research facility. It might be fun for people from elsewhere to explore what happened to family members who left their hometowns generations ago (like family members in Germany who might have emigrated to the United States).

Last edited by robyng; Sep 1, 2014 at 6:47 am
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:58 am
In memoriam

One place to consider in putting together a trip would be Sun Valley Idaho. The Sun Valley Lodge is closing in a couple of weeks for a major renovation and plans to re-open at the beginning of next summer:

http://www.sunvalley.com/footer/about/renovation/

Robyn
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

giri must charge a lot more than $157 now as that was just for bed, not full board

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...-colorado.html

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
For me my fav remote places are
Amangiri
Amangani
Dunton Hot Springs
Triple Creek Ranch
Desroches Island - Seychelles
Blanket Bay - New Zealand
[dunton] post links, not thread links >

instyleprincess
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post12690034
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post12893898
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post13798051
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post17659556

zigzag
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ml#post4472505
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post12747068
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post16531204

[dunton] history http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post14488556

other >

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...own-hotel.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 2, 2014 at 6:33 am
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:42 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

post links, not thread links >
Thanks for the links and for pointing out that it was not a link to a complete thread (otherwise I would not even have clicked on it!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.