Reload this Page >

Mandapa, A Ritz Carlton Reserve Ubud, Bali

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mandapa, A Ritz Carlton Reserve Ubud, Bali

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:32 am

Oh, I agree that's a positive. In fact, I'd rather there be no loyalty program. To me, that's one of the many reasons RC is a notch (or 4) below MO, Pen, FS, etc.

And Kage, I agree. I wish FS would make some more exciting resorts.

That being said, the way I'm treated when staying at any random FS far surpasses even the best RC experience I've had.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
RC reserve is step in right direction, FS big box beach hotels is step in wrong direction.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by aa213bb
That being said, the way I'm treated when staying at any random FS far surpasses even the best RC experience I've had.
Service at Phulay Bay is far better than the service at many FS properties. Hence, I agree the Reserve brand is a step in the right direction for Ritz-Carlton.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I agree that they should not participate in rewards. It makes for a nicer clientele who are actually paying to be there for the most part. To me, the Ritz Dorado actually resembles a FS. Kage, can you give me more examples of big box FS beach resorts under development other than the reflag in Hawaii which I agree with you about? I can't think of any. If they are doing that, then I would strongly object because I thoroughly dislike big box resorts.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

dubai just opened, puerto rico just announced, others mentioned at various times in upcoming FS thread
oahu being next to disney is like maui being next to grand wailea, some here are maui regulars
hopefully some older mentions arent dead http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post21398903
and perhaps availability of financing remains a problem, can hope that is a factor

phulay bay may down to owner, rather than RC
RC also has that joint venture with bvlgari

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 18, 2014 at 3:33 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:32 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
While it somewhat ruined the view from Amandari, the resort itself looked very nice from a distance. Does anyone know the opening date for this? I'm in Bali again in early-April and would love to check it out.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Service at Phulay Bay is far better than the service at many FS properties. Hence, I agree the Reserve brand is a step in the right direction for Ritz-Carlton.
That's great! Really glad to hear that, as it makes me so much more likely to check it out.

But, isn't this the property that gets slammed with tourists each day visiting the bay/beach? Or is that another one ... can't recall, but I remember it being in Thailand.

My wider point about RC still remains, though; you know, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut" ...
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by aa213bb
That's great! Really glad to hear that, as it makes me so much more likely to check it out.

But, isn't this the property that gets slammed with tourists each day visiting the bay/beach? Or is that another one ... can't recall, but I remember it being in Thailand.

My wider point about RC still remains, though; you know, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut" ...

I spent a week at Phulay bay a few years ago and was amazed by the place, i do think it is the concept of the RC reserve product. Very intimate, detailed luxury and attention to service yet homely.

Breakfast was incredible at PB but room service was a bit limited (my only small gripe). One of my very favourite hotels though and one i will go back to 100%. A dream place and worth every cent.

The resort you are talking about is Rayavadee, which in my opinion is trash and down right awful. I find it fascinating with this resort when i read TA, which i take with tongue in cheek but the reviews are clearly written by the hotel. The bad/poor reports are the only real ones i assume.

Back to the main topic, very excited that a RC reserve will open in Ubud, a great location for such a concept and i will visit. I have always enjoyed my time in Ubud and found the hotels including independents to be of very high quality. RC will have a hard time persuading guests as there are so many options here but as they build a reputation i am sure they will become the preferred place on the block.

Any ideas on opening? The suites and villas look stunning on the web site but no date for opening.

The question is who will be first to get a visit in? Secondly what will the rates be.

Finally i am also happy that these properties do not participate in the rewards programme. Nothing against rewards i use them my self with most brands but for the RC reserve and the tiny room contingent i think it is a good move.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by dewby
The resort you are talking about is Rayavadee, which in my opinion is trash and down right awful. I find it fascinating with this resort when i read TA, which i take with tongue in cheek but the reviews are clearly written by the hotel. The bad/poor reports are the only real ones i assume.
I don't want to get off topic, but will just say that I love Rayavadee. I freely admit that the resort is not for everyone, and that overcrowding on the beach is a negative, but it has an amazing natural setting and I have had many wonderful experiences there.

Back to the main topic, very excited that a RC reserve will open in Ubud, a great location for such a concept and i will visit. I have always enjoyed my time in Ubud and found the hotels including independents to be of very high quality. RC will have a hard time persuading guests as there are so many options here but as they build a reputation i am sure they will become the preferred place on the block.
I can't say I am excited about Mandapa. Although I do like the R-C Reserve concept, I resent that the construction of this resort has practically ruined the view from Amandari.

I have heard that Aman are thinking about building a fourth property somewhere in Bali. If this is true, I am interested in what location thy will choose. I trust they would choose an unspoiled, secluded location.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
I don't want to get off topic, but will just say that I love Rayavadee. I freely admit that the resort is not for everyone, and that overcrowding on the beach is a negative, but it has an amazing natural setting and I have had many wonderful experiences there.

I can't say I am excited about Mandapa. Although I do like the R-C Reserve concept, I resent that the construction of this resort has practically ruined the view from Amandari.

I have heard that Aman are thinking about building a fourth property somewhere in Bali. If this is true, I am interested in what location thy will choose. I trust they would choose an unspoiled, secluded location.
Mikefromtokyo, you and i have traded our views on this resort and our final resting point was agree to disagree. Opinions are that an individual thing, i respect yours but have my own.

It must be frustrating for Amandari, they were the first luxury resort in Ubud and were ahead of the game, how ironic that the view has now been taken away. During my recent trip to Royal Pita Maha i really don't think you can find a better view and they won't loose that because of the other side of the valley is a stone cliff.

I am interested to see the development in Bali over the coming years, the south has gone way above saturation point so most of the focus is up north. All that said there are some quality properties through Indonesia.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:57 am

It must be frustrating for Amandari, they were the first luxury resort in Ubud and were ahead of the game, how ironic that the view has now been taken away.
In fact, the first 'luxury' resort in Ubud was Kupa Kupa Barong, which had amazing views of the Ayung River and a rather good restaurant. Amandari was number two, but obviously trumped everything else in sight when it opened in 1989.

I looked at the construction of the Reserve when I was last at Amandari and was horrified that anyone allowed it to be built in such a location, but then, Bali is steadily covering itself in concrete, so we should not be too surprised.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
In fact, the first 'luxury' resort in Ubud was Kupa Kupa Barong, which had amazing views of the Ayung River and a rather good restaurant. Amandari was number two, but obviously trumped everything else in sight when it opened in 1989.

I looked at the construction of the Reserve when I was last at Amandari and was horrified that anyone allowed it to be built in such a location, but then, Bali is steadily covering itself in concrete, so we should not be too surprised.
Vuittonsofstyle, have you heard about the possibility that Aman might open a fourth resort in Bali? I don't have any inside information about this, so what I heard could be just a rumor.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:42 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Vuittonsofstyle, have you heard about the possibility that Aman might open a fourth resort in Bali? I don't have any inside information about this, so what I heard could be just a rumor.
West out by Soori? Or how about something by Mount Agung and Lake Batur?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These resorts add nothing to Bali. It's a shame but it has become a "it's too crowded, nobody goes there anymore" place.

Only East Bali is any good now and it'll just be a short while before some "luxury" brand ruins Amed too.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
These resorts add nothing to Bali. It's a shame but it has become a "it's too crowded, nobody goes there anymore" place.

Only East Bali is any good now and it'll just be a short while before some "luxury" brand ruins Amed too.
I really don't see Bali as ruined.

I travelled there 20 years ago and yes there was a lot less there but there are still places that are paradise.

Kuta is not for me and has grown into a beast similar to patong in Phuket but in some areas of Bali it still has that island feel and genuine Balinese culture. Lombok is also nice and I don't think the Oberoi has ruined Lombok as a luxury hotel.

What Bali will look like in 20 years is a different matter but I would still consider a vacation here.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I really don't see Bali as ruined.
Me neither. I love the tranquility of Jimbaran bay. Stay out of Kuta if you don't want amped up young people buzzing around you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.