Search

Luxury in Norway?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ksu
The Swedes are not here for vacation. They work here.
Most indeed, which is why I said what I said.

I'm very familiar with this situation. I'm also familiar with the Swedes in my family going to Norway for vacation.

When I was referring to young Europeans on vacation there, I was referring to those coming for -- wait for this -- vacation there. [Many of whom are not Scandinavian, but some who are Swedish.]

I think this speaks for that:

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I do wonder how the young Europeans coming for vacation there are getting by there. Norway's not cheap, and the economic prospects of young EUropeans has not been great. Are they up there for job interviews?
On a more serious note, thanks for describing the situation rather accurately as I've seen it too. [Except for the claim about Swedes not being on vacation in Oslo, which is definitely not in line with my running into a small amount of the Swedes who are in Oslo for their vacations while working/living somewhere well beyond Oslo.] Yet indeed the vast majority of Swedes in Oslo are there for work and not for vacation. The hotel industry dynamic characterization you provided is great.

I end up at the the Thief more frequently when Swedes staying there ask me to come around and are staying at the hotel too, for otherwise the location isn't as convenient for me either. Still, I'm so agnostic when it comes to Oslo hotels that I would often otherwise stay at the Radisson or Park Inn at the airport and not blink an eye about it -- with the included breakfast at the latter being rather decent too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 15, 2014 at 9:36 am
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:47 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks to all who contributed here with super info, details and advice. After reviewing the posts and taking into account age (71 and 65) and health, we've pretty much settled on a 15-night fjords cruise on the Azamara Quest in August 2016.
http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/vi...006-1470888000
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:25 pm

Since you're considering a cruise, I thought I would add the following story, which I just read in today's NYT Travel section:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...en-norway.html
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:42 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks, I saw that this morning. Whets the appetite although Azamara is a better class of ship.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Originally Posted by ksu
The one major competitive factor fr many Norwegian hotels today is the breakfast buffet (usually included). The Twinings tea company has a annual competition, and the winner for the last years is the Rica Nidelven in Trondheim. A good hotel, but not luxury.
Norwegian hotels breaks aren't that great, they are generally all pretty similar and nothing is unique to any one chain IMO.

The problem with even thinking about opening a luxury hotel in Norway is staff, Norwegians do not do service well, they do not understand the concept of service, hence the reason in the main centres of Norway most hotel restaurant, bar and boutique staff are Swedish.

Norwegians won't complain if they are the recipient of poor service, if it's in a restaurant they won't say anything; my wife and friends are embarrassed if I dare to send anything back. How will they ever learn to provide a good level of service when they won't complain about poor service.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:23 pm

Bump. Any more recent thoughts?

Believe we will be heading to Norway for a couple weeks in the next week or so, with the trip split into three parts: Bergen and the Western Fjords (including several of the National Driving Tourist Routes), Lofoten, and finally Oslo for a few days.

Any additional thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I was in Svalbard and Oslo for an overnight in May of 2014, so I can testify to those places.

I stayed in a hostel-type place in Longyearbyen, but as for luxury hotels the nicest to me seemed the Trappers Lodge. The Radisson is a Radisson, and it has some local flavor (as every hotel in such a location necessarily will), but the Trappers Lodge felt very much local in design with great care taken on the part of the staff I interacted with. I think in Longyearbyen most of the places are well taken care of.

As for Oslo, I stayed at the Continental, which was very charming. As another poster noted, it is not a palace hotel, but it is certainly in that same vein of old hotels and retains an "old" atmosphere (in a good way). They took excellent care of me - it happened to be my birthday the next day, and I found a bottle of champagne waiting for me in my room. I would return, without a doubt.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Originally Posted by vhrum
As for Oslo, I stayed at the Continental, which was very charming. As another poster noted, it is not a palace hotel, but it is certainly in that same vein of old hotels and retains an "old" atmosphere (in a good way). They took excellent care of me - it happened to be my birthday the next day, and I found a bottle of champagne waiting for me in my room. I would return, without a doubt.
It's good to hear this, glad you had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Contintal in Oslo, we've stayed there too in April earlier this year and loved the hotel, a gorgeous location and felt it is indeed a special property full of heritage, but it's also modern in many beautiful ways. Thanks for sharing your insights and it's equally good to hear you would stay again at this luxury hotel. We would want to stay there again too in our future. Cheers. ^

Last edited by uggboy; Oct 5, 2015 at 3:14 pm
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by uggboy
It's good to hear this, glad you had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Contintal in Oslo, we've stayed there too in April earlier this year and loved the hotel, a gorgeous location and felt it is indeed a special property full of heritage, but it's also modern in many beautiful ways. Thanks for sharing your insights and it's equally good to hear you would stay again at this luxury hotel. We would want to stay there again too in our future. Cheers. ^
One year ago, we stayed in both the Continental and the Thief at either ends of our trip. We liked both, but preferred the Continental location as more central, and the service was much better. Also they had just completed renovations and we had a very nice jr suite with a huge deck. Having said that we enjoyed the opposite atmosphere of the Thief. It's more hip, modern, and in a hip part of the city. ( although both not that far away if you enjoy a good walk). We were there in the summer and I think I would not have liked the Thief as well off season or in winter. One if its great virtues was the rooftop bar. Also the service at the Thief was a little too hip ( no help carrying bags to room unless you asked). But both different experiences and fun to have both options. We really enjoyed our time in Oslo and Norway in general.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:56 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Another beautiful place to visit in Norway, is Hardanger. I was there for a long week-end with friends recently, and loved staying in Hotel Utne. Not luxury, but very traditional and charming - a magic little place. Hardanger area is especially beautiful in late spring (end May) where there are apple- and cherry trees in blossom. Lots of beautiful nature to see, including amazing waterfalls, fjords and high mountains.

Last edited by Musken; Jun 28, 2016 at 7:29 am
Old Oct 9, 2016, 12:51 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Country house luxury Norwegian style: Storfjord Hotel.

http://www.storfjordhotel.com/en/

Boutique yet looks smashing and the setting looks special.

I'd still like to visi Norway and Denmark. Had to cancel trip planned earlier this year.

Last edited by KatW; Oct 9, 2016 at 2:01 pm
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:38 am

We were here late last year (Storfjord), and was utterly enthralled. In fact, we were so close to changing the rest of our trip in Norway to stay longer, but can never resist the pull of the Northern Lights.

An absolutely adorable hotel, and a fantastic dinner to boot!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:32 am

They've finished the renovation at Grand Hotel. I stayed in a renovated room two years ago (after changing twice from old rooms). After change of owners the sped up the renovation completing it in 6 months I think. I don't expect service to have improved, the price point means it is not truly luxury however (and as such I expect to only be good for another year), the rooms on the photos look decent, and I am trying it out when I am back home in December.

They do have a decent bar however its opening hours are erratic at best.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by DavidO
Norway isn't known for 5*, but that's not the reason to go there. It's one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been.

I thought Juvet Landscape Hotel was stunning in terms of the views from its rooms.

Well obviously the secret is well and truly out wrt this property - I just tried to book a night in June and was told they are fully booked until September! Such a pity... it really took my fancy.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

only 7 landscape rooms, 2 birdhouses, farmhouse

do they offer to waitlist?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 22, 2017 at 11:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.