Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

St Regis or Dorado RC reserve in Puerto Rico?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys, I wanted to know if anyone has been lately to either of these hotels? If so, please tell me more!^
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:19 pm

The beach at the St. Regis is terrible.

Disclosure: During the winter season....I live on the Ritz Carlton property.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747
The beach at the St. Regis is terrible.

Disclosure: During the winter season....I live on the Ritz Carlton property.
Thank you 747, is there a big difference between the east and west beach? And also is the service better than say a year ago (ive seen many reports saying it was awful!). And finally do you know if its a baby friendly place?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:15 pm

Service is better than a year ago as is the food.

There is no such thing as GREAT service in Puerto Rico but they really are trying now.
I find now when I travel to other resorts it really is a downgrade to what I have in Dorado Beach.

The West Beach rooms are STEPS to the swimming beach. The East Beach rooms are rocky so just view only. The rooms are the same it just depends if you want to swim in the Ocean in front of your room.

Yes, the resort is very baby/kid friendly. Kids of all ages are welcome.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 747
Service is better than a year ago as is the food.

There is no such thing as GREAT service in Puerto Rico but they really are trying now.
I find now when I travel to other resorts it really is a downgrade to what I have in Dorado Beach.

The West Beach rooms are STEPS to the swimming beach. The East Beach rooms are rocky so just view only. The rooms are the same it just depends if you want to swim in the Ocean in front of your room.

Yes, the resort is very baby/kid friendly. Kids of all ages are welcome.
Excellent thanks very much for the info...This sounds like it's definitely worth a try.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
No contest here

Go to Dorado Beach
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Ditto… Dorado Beach is a WOW tropical resort.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:27 pm

I have been to both in the past 2 years - at Dorado now. Both are really beautiful resorts - both have a lush setting with miles of palm fringed beach and many acres of forest with golf, trails, etc., as well as luxurious, modern rooms and great spas. St. Regis beach not swimmable, however, while Dorado beach is fantastic. Also service and food at the St. Regis were not at the same level as Dorado. I will come back to both, but St. Regis only to use up Starwood points.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: luxury traveler
We stayed at the St Regis with kids last spring break and went with friends who were using up Starwood points. We stayed in an oceanfront suite and I loved the butler's packing/unpacking service. Otherwise, the butler was pretty much MIA. I agree, the beach is not Caribbean-standard, much rougher although we still swam (it was March). The room and grounds were lovely, the restaurants were delicious and they were especially helpful with arranging for our four children to have exclusive access to the children's Iguana club with private baby-sitters during off-hours. We stayed with the "legacy rate" so second night in a suite was $4. It was still about 10k all-in for food, drinks, a day w pool cabana, food/kid activities for 5 nights. Seemed pricey for Puerto Rico and I'm looking forward to checking out Dorado Beach-- I love the direct flights from Chicago so we will definitely check it out.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:46 am

Having been to both, I think Dorado is the nicer option, and I agree that the rooms and beach were better there. But we really enjoyed the St. Regis as well and I'd stay at either property again. I wouldn't call the service hyper-responsive at either property, but both properties are definitely in a class above other "luxury" hotels in Puerto Rico and I don't think you can go wrong at either.

Though both hotels are about the same distance from SJU, one thing I liked about the location of the St. Regis was its proximity to El Yunque National Forest, which we really enjoyed exploring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.